Reflection Turkey Ports Cancelled

Lyn Mc

Interesting article. If you click through to the cruise line rescheduling page there's a huge disparity between what Cruise lines are doing, some avoiding Turkey altogether, others just Istanbul, others not changing and staying as normal.

From Reuters this morning:

"In a sign of Washington's concerns about the security situation, the U.S. Embassy in Ankara said on Tuesday employees' family members had been authorized to leave voluntarily, citing a possible "increase in police or military activities and restrictions on movement" by the Turkish authorities".

Edited by janewe

In reality are we safe anywhere..Germany, France, Florida, and now shootings in Japan. I'm just thinking if your in the wrong place at the wrong time it is our fate. I've been in turkey previously on land vacations when there has been troubles I was even there when they had a large earth quake, if you want to travel you need to know that anything could happen....even before you get to your destination

I'm a firm believer in fate... what will be , will be! But that doesn't mean that I want to put myself in the situation, where it might just happen! Of course, you are right & I totally agree with you, at the minute, we cannot guarantee our safety, this can happen anywhere, this I know only too well. But again, do you want to spend your holiday worrying or relaxing... I know which one I choose & I still say. "Cancel the Turkish ports" :cool:

I'm a firm believer in fate... what will be , will be! But that doesn't mean that I want to put myself in the situation, where it might just happen! Of course, you are right & I totally agree with you, at the minute, we cannot guarantee our safety, this can happen anywhere, this I know only too well. But again, do you want to spend your holiday worrying or relaxing... I know which one I choose & I still say. "Cancel the Turkish ports" :cool:

Someone on celebrity cruise addicts on Facebook has had word from Miami that at present they are not cancelling KUSADASI however they are monitoring the situation.

Someone on celebrity cruise addicts on Facebook has had word from Miami that at present they are not cancelling KUSADASI however they are monitoring the situation.

Not surprised with X's reply as Vision of the Seas has apparently, according to the Royal board, docked in Kusadasi today. I believe Jewel is due there tomorrow.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382977

Edited by villauk

Just checked on an app on my phone - Jewel of the Seas - is enroute to Kusadasi as we speak. Just wish Celebrity would make some decision either way so I can better plan activities - just wait and see I suppose. Traveling in October 2016.

Just checked on an app on my phone - Jewel of the Seas - is enroute to Kusadasi as we speak. Just wish Celebrity would make some decision either way so I can better plan activities - just wait and see I suppose. Traveling in October 2016.

I may be wrong but being part of the same company, I can't see one doing it and not the other. Additionally, as I posted above, Vision has been there today. Think they've already made their decision ;). Wouldn't worry though as you have plenty of time, we have 11 days and some pax want to go while others are totally against it (similar to posts on this thread).

I spent several hours today calling around RCL and Celebrity and finally got in touch with someone who knows a bit more (or was willing to share more). They assured me that the Global Security Team is closely monitoring the situation and that they feel it is safe to visit the ports in Turkey that are scheduled. They received "good feedback" from their sources on the ground and anticipated "favorable feedback" after today's sailing which visited Turkey. They went on to allude to the fact that unless something dramatically changes all future voyages intend to go as planned. I did ask if the number of people who elect not to get off in Turkey will have any impact on future sailings and they said we are monitoring all factors. Unless something unexpected happens I would assume we are going to Turkey. However, I am looking forward to a couple nice days on the ship while we are in port -- book a massage and RELAX!

I look forward to hearing if lots of people stayed on the ship today in Kusadasi.