Reflection Turkey Ports Cancelled

Lyn Mc

Wonder if Celebrity will stand the 20% VAT charges on all onboard purchases for not stopping in a non EU Port, or will they pass the charge on to the passengers.

VAT is a tax. Taxes are the responsibility of the purchaser. Not the cruise line.

I pay income tax. Wish the cruise line would pay my taxes. Then I could afford to cruise more.😊

Just wanted to note that when we booked our Med cruise on the Reflection for next summer we saw that Kusadasi was no longer on the list of ports. They replaced that stop with Malta. This was 3 weeks ago. So it looks like some stops in Turkey were already being removed for future cruises.

Jim

That's interesting. We're on the October 2016 Constellation, Istanbul (overnight) - Kusadasi - ..-.. At first they took out the overnight in Istanbul. Then they replaced it with Athens. But Kusadasi is still very much alive in our ports of visit

The short term decision to avoid Turkey whilst disappointing is probably the right one in the circumstances. Local news coverage has the whole country in a state of flux following the failed coup attempt. But life quickly returns to normal and Kusadasi may yet be back on the cruise programme in a couple of months. I hope so for many peoples sake as it was a highlight of our April cruise on the Constellation. Kusadasi was added after Istanbul had the plug pulled on it

The short term decision to avoid Turkey whilst disappointing is probably the right one in the circumstances. Local news coverage has the whole country in a state of flux following the failed coup attempt. But life quickly returns to normal and Kusadasi may yet be back on the cruise programme in a couple of months. I hope so for many peoples sake as it was a highlight of our April cruise on the Constellation. Kusadasi was added after Istanbul had the plug pulled on it

Kusadasi hasn't been removed from our cruise schedule on Connie next month :confused:? Well, up to now it hasn't. Have you been advised otherwise?

Kusadasi hasn't been removed from our cruise schedule on Connie next month :confused:? Well, up to now it hasn't. Have you been advised otherwise?

Just for info. Just received email Celebrity have cancelled Kusadasi and Bodrum (Turkey) ports on our Reflection cruise 18th July. Have replaced with Rhodes and Sicily

The above quote is taken from the first post of this thread. If it is so then be prepared to receive similar notifications. It took a number of weeks to notify and find alternate ports when the pin was pulled on Istanbul.

If one cruise is out you can bet that others in the short term will also be out

Just for info. Just received email Celebrity have cancelled Kusadasi and Bodrum (Turkey) ports on our Reflection cruise 18th July. Have replaced with Rhodes and Sicily

The above quote is taken from the first post of this thread. If it is so then be prepared to receive similar notifications. It took a number of weeks to notify and find alternate ports when the pin was pulled on Istanbul.

While doing some research on this, I didn't realize before that Norwegian pulled out of all Turkey Ports, the following is from January. "

Del Rio said the decision to pull out of Turkey followed the deadly suicide bombing last week in a popular tourist area in the heart of Istanbul. Turkish authorizes linked the blast to the Islamic State (IS).

Norwegian is the first major line to drop Turkey this year. Luxury line Crystal Cruises said earlier this week it is dropping four itineraries that were to visit Istanbul and Kusdasi due to "ongoing security concerns."

Costa Cruises and Celebrity Cruises both cancelled some itineraries last fall.

Pulling out of Turkey and in such a sweeping manner is not without risk, Del Rio said.

"In a month if everything is calm and collected and the world comes to peace then I made the wrong decision. You make the best decision you can when you have to make it," he said."

I presume they are taking it, at present, on a cruise by cruise basis. I'm aware of the first post details, however from your previous post, I thought you had already been notified by X that all Kusadasi stops had been replaced. We are also well aware of last minute changes as we were on the first sailing when all the overnights for Istanbul were pulled last year, literally on our way to Istanbul ;). Extra hours were given in a couple of ports but no additional/alternative port stop to replace our missing day in Istanbul ;).

Edited by villauk

I'm watching the situation with interest:

Our 29th Aug cruise on Reflection is due a stop at both Bodrum and Kusadasi.

I don't mind either way if the stops go ahead or get replaced with different ports. I just hope they don't get replaced as 'sea days' as we have two of those already.

We are on Sept 30 Reflection with a planned stop to Kusadasi

Hope things settle down by then -would hate to miss it

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I kind of feel the same way....I'm on the same cruise as you and would hate to go all that way and not be able to go into Turkey....it maybe my one and only chance.

I'm watching the situation with interest:

Our 29th Aug cruise on Reflection is due a stop at both Bodrum and Kusadasi.

I don't mind either way if the stops go ahead or get replaced with different ports. I just hope they don't get replaced as 'sea days' as we have two of those already.

We are in the same situation, we are on the 29th August Reflection cruise and will not be happy if they replace the Turkish ports with sea days. I have spoken to our TA and she has said that she does not think they would add 2 more sea days as this would alter the nature of the cruise quite significantly.

The situation in Turkey is very worrying, Erdogan seems to be using this as an excuse to remove any opposition. The fact that so many army, judiciary and police have been arrested, must mean the security situation is compromised to say the least!

Such a beautiful country, with lovely people, they must be very fearful about how all this will pan out.

We are also on 29th Reflection. Have visited Turkey many times and have great memories, but we are also uneasy about visiting at this time. Malta & Rhodes would be good alternatives.

We too have visited Turkey many times and Ephesus is wonderful, I do understand those who have never visited still wanting to go. However, the situation is still very volatile and we just don't know how they will react to Erdogan's further clampdown on democracy. I agree Malta and Rhodes would be good alternatives.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

We are on Silhouette in Late Sept/early Oct with Kusadasi on the itinerary. Hoping they don't change the port - the UK Foreign Office say that the coastal holidays resorts are unaffected and holidays to Turkey seem to be carrying on as normal to the coastal holiday resorts from the UK. So we're hopeful.

This from the Toronto Globe and Mail a few minutes ago. We are only into day four after the Coup. These numbers are in addition to the 9,000 reported before. Looks like a full blown out Dictatorship now.

"Turkish government on Tuesday escalated its wide-ranging crackdown against people it claims have ties to the alleged coup plotters, firing nearly 24,000 teachers and Interior Ministry employees across the country and demanding the resignations of another 1,577 university deans.

The dismissals touched every aspect of government life".

Well, Celebrity is still doing St. Petersburg (Russia), so a dictatorship has apparently no effect on how they choose the ports.

Would agree that there are some parallels between the two. The difference is there is a form of stability in Russia. One can't say the same about Turkey with the Bombings, Airport attack, Coup and now a major crackdown under way. There will be a lot of discontent among the many thousands losing their jobs. Will there be pockets of resistance? Will the Kurds take advantage of the instability? It could take months to play out.

Would agree that there are some parallels between the two. The difference is there is a form of stability in Russia. One can't say the same about Turkey with the Bombings, Airport attack, Coup and now a major crackdown under way. There will be a lot of discontent among the many thousands losing their jobs. Will there be pockets of resistance? Will the Kurds take advantage of the instability? It could take months to play out.

The stability is a result of Russia beeing a dictatorship..

(And dont forget Crimea, Chechnya +++ when talking about stability in Russia..)

From the homepage now:

"Dear Celebrity Reflection Guest,

July 18, 2016

We are writing to provide you with an update regarding our itinerary.

We have been closely monitoring the situation in Turkey. While media is reporting that the military coup was unsuccessful, Turkey continues to be unsettled. Due to the current unpredictability of the state of Turkey, and taking our guests’ safety and wellbeing into account, we made the decision that we will not call Ephesus (Kusadasi) and Bodrum as previously scheduled. We have been able to secure alternate ports of call to replace our calls to Ephesus (Kusadasi) and Bodrum.

Celebrity Refection's revised itinerary will be:

Day Port of Call Arrival Depart

Monday, July 18 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 PM

Tuesday, July 19 At Sea

Wednesday, July 20 Santorini, Greece 2:00 PM 9:00 PM

Thursday, July 21 Athens (Piraeus), Greece 6:00 AM

Friday, July 22 Athens (Piraeus), Greece 5:00 PM

Saturday, July, 23 Mykonos, Greece 7:00 AM 6:00PM

Sunday, July 24 Chania (Souda) Crete, Greece 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Monday, July 25 Rhodes, Greece 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Tuesday, July 26 At Sea

Wednesday, July 27 Sicily (Messina) Italy 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thursday, July 28 Naples, Itlay 7:00 AM 6:30 PM

Friday, July 29 Rome, Italy 5:00 AM

The cost of any shore excursions in Ephesus (Kusadasi) and Bodrum, which were purchased through Celebrity Cruises, will be refunded to the form of payment used. This credit may be used to book another shore excursion, or for any purchases onboard. Any unused portion will be refunded to you. Our Guest Services Team would be happy to assist with any shore excursions in Rhodes, Greece and Sicily (Messina), Italy.

We truly regret having to take this action, but feel it is in the best interest of all our guests. The safety and security of our guests and crew members is always foremost in our minds. Again, thank you very much for your cooperation and understanding.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises"

My TA called Celebrity today and was told the only sail date that was changed was July 18th. They advised they are monitoring the situation and will make changes if necessary sailing by sailing.

It may be may a case of hearing at the last moment.,,