Reflection Turkey Ports Cancelled

Lyn Mc

If that is the case, then pax should also be contacting X to confirm where they stand as to Turkey still being on some itineraries ;). As others have said, it's not the case for the UK, but X should take into consideration the travel advisories issued from all countries relevant to its pax ;).

I'm not bothered either way, but would like more notice than we got last year as to our changed itinerary i.e. enroute to Istanbul before we knew ;).

The current Reflection Cruise only got one days notice of the Port change. Perhaps the same will apply to the next one departing in 5 days. It's due in Turkey on August 2 nd. Even if you don't get off the Ship you will still be in their 12 mile territorial waters. I for one will be checking the Insurance policy. Ignorance will not be an excuse.

The discussion was on an individuals Insurance not Celebrity's.

Travel advisories and insurance policies

No matter where in the world you intend to travel, make sure you check the Travel Advice and Advisories twice, once when you are planning your trip and again shortly before you leave. If a Travel Advisory is issued for your destination, after you make your travel arrangements but before or during your trip, it may affect your travel health insurance or trigger your trip cancellation insurance. Make sure you understand any terms and conditions in the policy in regard to travel advice and advisories from the Government of Canada.

Some insurance companies will not honour medical claims made for injuries suffered in a country for which the Government of Canada has issued an official Travel Advisory. Coverage for injuries resulting from war may also be limited. Insurance policies often have exclusion clauses stipulating regions and/or activities that will not be covered.

It would be nice to receive an official update from Celebrity. I have read conflicting reports from individuals "in the know". Current guests on the reflection state that they heard there will be no further changes to the itinerary and I also heard that all future stops to turkey will be replaced with other ports (this individual would not divulge their source). At this point with our insurance, we could cancel without penalty since the Canadian government has issued an avoid all non essential travel to the country of Turkey (not just specific regions). Although, we do not plan to cancel, we are fortunately in the position where we could "adapt" at the last moment and not worry about the financial consequences, there are others that have the decision to make to travel against their government advisories. It's not quite a simple "chill and relax" situation for some. A simple updated statement would be helpful and appreciated.

I appreciate your calm and common sense comments. I don't want to criticize those who feel that terrorists should not control our lives or express a concern for the livelihoods of innocent merchants in Turkish ports. Neither do I want to downplay the concern about being a potential victim of a terrorist act. I do want to comment on insurance coverage. Of course if there is an insurance executive on here please respond . IF an insurance company were to deny coverage the logistical problems of reversing that denial are onerous. The insurance company would immediately invoke its consent to venue provision if you tried to initiate legal action in a court convenient to you. That's just for beginners. I doubt any attorney would take your case on a contingency basis meaning you would likely be paying money for your legal representation. It would sure be nice to find out about any changes so I could start reading the appropriate guide books. BTW IF the Turkish ports are cancelled my partner and I will not go berserk and fuss. That is contra to a relaxing vacation. Right? Plus if we do visit Turkey we do not plan on disembarking but will chill on the ship!

Bonedoc I think we are on the same Reflection cruise and I agree I would just like an update from Celebrity.

Looking forward to this cruise! Can't wait to meet everyone. We will enjoy this cruise in any form that it presents itself. We travel quite a bit throughout the year, but for family only vacations, it's only every other year and we make the most of our family vacations! See you soon!

Spoke with Celebrity today and they did not have any further updates. They said they are logging the calls from guests who would prefer NOT to visit Turkey and to have the ports changed. They are reporting the numbers to sr. management. I question if our opinions really matter but if you are in favor of an itinerary change I encourage you to call Celebrity at this special guest service number 844-418-6824 and tell them your concern. According to a source (don't know how reliable) Celebrity has Rhodes and Sicily ports "on hold" through Tuesday to make a final decision for the next 3 sailings.

Rhodes and Sicily or Crete and an overnight in Athens would seem to be the logical changes to any programme. I would take the comments from X above at face value. I am sure that if the greater majority of their passengers are uneasy about going to Turkey then these comments would be taken on board by senior management. One has to remember that Cruise Critic contributors are but a small drop in the ocean of passenger numbers

It would be interesting to see which X cruises get changed itineraries.There is still over a month to go before my Reflection cruise on Aug 29th and seeing if the Turkey stops on other itineraries change leading up to that date could give me an idea of what to expect.

I don't mind either way what happens, there are currently no UK travel warnings for those areas of Turkey ( so insurance fine) but I appreciate that it may be more like a sea day when docked in Turkey if more people stay on-board than get off. :)

Rhodes and Sicily or Crete and an overnight in Athens would seem to be the logical changes to any programme. I would take the comments from X above at face value. I am sure that if the greater majority of their passengers are uneasy about going to Turkey then these comments would be taken on board by senior management. One has to remember that Cruise Critic contributors are but a small drop in the ocean of passenger numbers

You have no idea how many pax are calling X presently with their concerns about Turkey; they don't have to be on CC in order to make the call ;).

Agree with beaveh, if you are sailing later in the season, one will get more of an idea seeing what happens after the next few sailings (ours being one of them) ;).

I suspect that Celebrity will leave any decision right up to the last moment.

Cancelling would cause them grief and cost them money. The situation in Turkey right now (terrorism aside - but that can happen anywhere at any time) appears to be relatively stable (I've used relative as Turkey has a tumultuous past, and there are no jets over Istanbul :) !!). The elements of the military, and their supporters, that tried to overthrow the democratically elected Government are in prison and the Government has voted by a big majority to establish a state of emergency for 3 months so that they are able to, for example, detain prisoners for longer than the constitutional laws allow them to ordinarily. Don't get me wrong, I'm no a fan of Erdogan and I think Erdogan he's using this to further his own ends and drive a different agenda but...I'm only going there for two days on holiday - it's not like I live there or have any vested interest in the country other than two small coastal ports on two specific days of the year. Of course, I care about what happens to the people of Turkey and their wonderful country but there's not much I can do other than worry - which doesn't help anyone.

The first time I visited Turkey was for 2 weeks, coincidentally in Kusadisi. Unknown to me at the time the country was in a state of Emergency following another failed coup (this one lasted from September 1980 to November 2002 !!). Did I notice anything odd ? Did I feel at all unsafe ? Where there uprisings and violence and disorder on the streets ? No. In fact Kusadisi looked exactly the same as it did when I visited last year on a Cruise. I expect it will be no different this time round either.

However, I respect the fact that different countries are issuing different travel advisories and that will affect other peoples insurance situation, I also respect that other people have different levels of risk and comfort.

I've visited Turkey before, if we don't go again on this cruise it's not the end of the world. But my opinion is that Celebrity won't tell us until we are either on the way (like last year VillaUK !!), or on the ship due to the reasons above. Whichever way they decide to go we can be assured that the decision won't be taken lightly and will be made in the light of far more local information than us keyboard jockeys who are getting our information from possibly-biased press sources and our own fertile imaginations - mine included :)

Whichever way they decide to go we can be assured that the decision won't be taken lightly and will be made in the light of far more local information than us keyboard jockeys who are getting our information from possibly-biased press sources and our own fertile imaginations - mine included :)

This!

I've visited Turkey before, if we don't go again on this cruise it's not the end of the world. But my opinion is that Celebrity won't tell us until we are either on the way (like last year VillaUK !!), or on the ship due to the reasons above. Whichever way they decide to go we can be assured that the decision won't be taken lightly and will be made in the light of far more local information than us keyboard jockeys who are getting our information from possibly-biased press sources and our own fertile imaginations - mine included :)

Concur ;).

It's becoming a regular occurrence for us :D. You're not by any chance visiting Asia this Christmas are you :rolleyes: :D? Only perhaps I ought to start getting my back-up plans ready for that cruise too :p.

You have no idea how many pax are calling X presently with their concerns about Turkey; they don't have to be on CC in order to make the call ;).

Agree with beaveh, if you are sailing later in the season, one will get more of an idea seeing what happens after the next few sailings (ours being one of them) ;).

You miss my point about Cruise Critic and its influence. Whilst it has some it by no means reflects the numbers of passengers carried on cruise ships. One only has to look at numbers for a connections party sometimes 25 out of a passenger list of 2000.

There are some Cruise critic correspondents take themselves too seriously and are of the belief that their comments are the ones a cruise line will take most notice of

Concur ;).

It's becoming a regular occurrence for us :D. You're not by any chance visiting Asia this Christmas are you :rolleyes: :D? Only perhaps I ought to start getting my back-up plans ready for that cruise too :p.

You are safe to make plans - I'm in the UK at Xmas :)

You miss my point about Cruise Critic and its influence. Whilst it has some it by no means reflects the numbers of passengers carried on cruise ships. One only has to look at numbers for a connections party sometimes 25 out of a passenger list of 2000.

There are some Cruise critic correspondents take themselves too seriously and are of the belief that their comments are the ones a cruise line will take most notice of

Our September Med Cruise has 84 registered for the Connections Party. There are probably some on the Board that are on C.C. but not going to the Connections. Polling firms do a sample i.e. they will Poll 2000 and the results can be indicative of how the general population will vote. Celebrity is in tune with social media and comments will have some bearing on their decision making. Then there are these folks who are not on Cruise Critic but will voice their concerns via email or by phone.

Bottom line, paying customers can make a difference towards Cruise Line decision making.

Concur ;).

I have a backup plan, I will do a land tour. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke with Celebrity today and they did not have any further updates. They said they are logging the calls from guests who would prefer NOT to visit Turkey and to have the ports changed. They are reporting the numbers to sr. management. I question if our opinions really matter but if you are in favor of an itinerary change I encourage you to call Celebrity at this special guest service number 844-418-6824 and tell them your concern. According to a source (don't know how reliable) Celebrity has Rhodes and Sicily ports "on hold" through Tuesday to make a final decision for the next 3 sailings.

I took your advice and called the number you suggested. I was on hold for 20 minutes. I told the very pleasant representative that I cannot understand how in good conscience Celebrity could send thousands of passengers and employees into a region that is on the US State Department travel warning list and in a 3 month State of Emergency. While I was on hold I was reading a CNN article that in Istanbul "Thousands attend anti-coup rally organized by main opposition party"

I got the same response that they are monitoring the situation and could make last minute decision. She did say that all calls are logged in and reported to decision makers. I am happy there are 2 cruises before my trip so I will know what they do with those dates. I would like to be able to leisurely do some research if our port is changed. Time will tell!!!

Edited by Boscodog

While I was on hold I was reading a CNN article that in Istanbul "Thousands attend anti-coup rally organized by main opposition party"

That's good to hear - people from both sides of the political divide coming together to show solidarity for the elected Government.

Personally I am not worried by Kusadasi, and really hope our cruise will visit that lovely port. I even consider to cancel if they decide to cancel Kusadasi, since Celebrity already cancelled Istanbul. If Kusadasi will be cancelled as well, it is soon not the cruise I originally booked.. This I told the customer service person I spoke with today. According to her, many guests had the same worry like me. Not a popular decision among guests to cancel Istanbul.

I took your advice and called the number you suggested. I was on hold for 20 minutes. I told the very pleasant representative that I cannot understand how in good conscience Celebrity could send thousands of passengers and employees into a region that is on the US State Department travel warning list and in a 3 month State of Emergency. While I was on hold I was reading a CNN article that in Istanbul "Thousands attend anti-coup rally organized by main opposition party"

I got the same response that they are monitoring the situation and could make last minute decision. She did say that all calls are logged in and reported to decision makers. I am happy there are 2 cruises before my trip so I will know what they do with those dates. I would like to be able to leisurely do some research if our port is changed. Time will tell!!!

I will try and ring tomorrow and add my voice to the list of those people NOT wanting to visit Turkey at all. Here's hoping Cc see's sense & puts the safety of passengers & staff first. I think this is the wrong time to be going there & it is a holiday I am wanting, I certainly don't want to be spending my cruise worrying about visiting Turkey.

I will try and ring tomorrow and add my voice to the list of those people NOT wanting to visit Turkey at all. Here's hoping Cc see's sense & puts the safety of passengers & staff first. I think this is the wrong time to be going there & it is a holiday I am wanting, I certainly don't want to be spending my cruise worrying about visiting Turkey.

In reality are we safe anywhere..Germany, France, Florida, and now shootings in Japan. I'm just thinking if your in the wrong place at the wrong time it is our fate. I've been in turkey previously on land vacations when there has been troubles I was even there when they had a large earth quake, if you want to travel you need to know that anything could happen....even before you get to your destination