Reflection Turkey Ports Cancelled

Lyn Mc

This is interesting that Celebrity put this travel alert on their home page. I wonder if they are going to update it as the next trips come up on the schedule. We leave one month from today on the Reflection and I would really like to have some time to research a new port. I don't think the Turkey situation is going to change too much in the short term.

Edited by Boscodog

This is interesting that Celebrity put this travel alert on their home page. I wonder if they are going to update it as the next trips come up on the schedule. We leave one month from today on he Reflection and I would really like to have some time to research a new port. I don't think the Turkey situation is going to change too much in the short term.

We sail before you on Connie and obviously do not know whether Kusadasi will be on or not. By the time you sail, others will have already had ports changed (if X decide to take that route) and you should get more of a feel for the likely replacements ;).

They had to make a hasty decision on this Cruise coming so soon after the Coup and all the subsequent unrest. It would appear they have Athens for a second over night.

I hope that will not happen to our Sept 7th., Equinox Cruise and if they exclude Turkey they will substitute another Port. Due to the continuing upheaval as noted below perhaps they can make a decision soon on the remaining Turkey calls.

Erdogan’s purge

"In the aftermath of the failed coup, the Turkish government escalated its wide-ranging crackdown, ordering the expulsion or arrest of nearly 50,000 security and civil service personnel, Mark MacKinnon reports from Istanbul (credit toronto globe and mail, july 19th pm)

Here is an update from the U.S. State Dept issued Monday, July 18th

In light of the July 15 coup attempt and the resulting potential for interruptions to travel and daily life, we suggest U.S. citizens reconsider travel to Turkey at this time. This replaces the Travel Warning dated July 16, 2016.

We are on same cruise Celebrity Reflection July 18th - but in September 19th. The Celebrity Australian website is always a little behind. Would be pleased if others get informed about cancellations they post updates here for us to follow. I agree whilst substitute ports are good - I would like some advsnce notice to organise private tours. I am really sorry for Turkey - have had wonderful experiences there & had hoped to see more. I am thinking that given news of extended state of emergecy announced today, there will be a blanket announcement soon.. if not, will be last minute advice cruise by cruise. Anyone been to Messina before - ideas appreciated (excluding Taormina)

We are on same cruise Celebrity Reflection July 18th - but in September 19th. The Celebrity Australian website is always a little behind. Would be pleased if others get informed about cancellations they post updates here for us to follow. I agree whilst substitute ports are good - I would like some advsnce notice to organise private tours. I am really sorry for Turkey - have had wonderful experiences there & had hoped to see more. I am thinking that given news of extended state of emergecy announced today, there will be a blanket announcement soon.. if not, will be last minute advice cruise by cruise. Anyone been to Messina before - ideas appreciated (excluding Taormina)

The U.S. State Dept recommended not to travel to Turkey two days ago. We now have a State of Emergency issued there tonight. This has been very difficult for Celebrity and I think they have been doing a terrific job under trying circumstances.

My feeling is they will make a blanket decision in the coming days on the their remaining handful of Turkey calls.

They will do the right thing for their clients.

I think each cruise is being looked at on a case by case basis. It would be interesting to see which itineraries change.

There is a bit of time before our Aug29th Reflection cruise with Bodrum and Kusadasi scheduled stops.

I saw the last X itinerary to go that was exactly the same as ours had swapped some of the days round and replaced the Turkey stops with Rhodes and Messina stops.

So I assume if things are still unsettled we might get something similar.

The UK travel agents are still sending people to beach resorts in Turkey at the moment.

Edited by beaveh

Presumably you won't go to the US either then ?

If Turkey put the Death Penalty back into their laws then they will never be admitted to the EU (which is one of their aims). So, they might do it, but there will be severe repercussions for their European integration plans.

Was reading on Cdn Broadcasting Corp (CBC) web site that if there are Government travel warnings in place and you go to that Country it will effect your Travel Insurance. You may not be covered. I don't have all the facts and people should look into their own situation.

Was reading on Cdn Broadcasting Corp (CBC) web site that if there are Government travel warnings in place and you go to that Country it will effect your Travel Insurance. You may not be covered. I don't have all the facts and people should look into their own situation.

I checked our uk travel insurance the other day, it says we are not covered if FCO advise against travel. That is not the case at the moment, so I guess if the con is stops as planned in kusadasi we are ok. I guess different rules for different policy issuing countries.

Had contact today from a friend who is currently on holiday in a coastal resort in Turkey and is having a great time with his wife and kids. His view is that there are more Turkish flags around, the TV is full of coup news but otherwise everything is as normal.

Please do not flame me for my post. I am not advocating anything here just my own observations. NEWS FLASH: The USA has a lot of lawyers! I know you are shocked! I am surprised any cruise line with many American passengers would take the risk of docking in Turkey under the current circumstances. I know we all sign off on 18 page terms and conditions. Nevertheless would they be binding under all circumstances? I don't know the answer. There are some very competent personal injury lawyers out there. The American discovery process would reveal all corporate emails. Yikes! Imagine the revelation of the (debate). Also America the land of the free and litigious has legal claims which do not even require an actual physical injury. I obviously hope nothing happens to anybody but even if a passenger is not directly physically injured the fear and mental trauma could asserted. Finally if an incident were to occur US law firms would immediately be reaching out to victims or families of the victims. Here it is called mass tort litigation. Ok you can flame me now. And as some of you already suspect I am a RETIRED (emphasis added) attorney. I know there are very passionate arguments on both sides of this situation.

Edited by FastandFurious
Spelling

Had contact today from a friend who is currently on holiday in a coastal resort in Turkey and is having a great time with his wife and kids. His view is that there are more Turkish flags around, the TV is full of coup news but otherwise everything is as normal.

I'll take my advice from the company I booked with rather than your friend who is on holiday in Turkey at the moment! Lol

Phil

I just can't for the life of me (no pun intended) figure out why Celebrity has not cancelled the Turkey ports for the remainder of the 2016. The country is in political shambles, the news is portraying it as a dangerous area, the United States and Britain are issuing warnings, and commonsense of most people says "just don't go". I think Celebrity should do the right thing and cancel the ports immediately and deal with the modest repercussions from a few guests (I assume most guests are expecting the ports to be cancelled) compared to the worldwide publicity of making the wrong decision. The only reason I can see Celebrity justifying going to Turkey is money. They do not want to loose port fees or they cant wait to get to port and have limited people get off the ship and sell more food and alcohol on board. Celebrity -- I urge you to do the RIGHT thing and cancel Turkey. The downside of being wrong significantly outweighs the upside of being right.

I just can't for the life of me (no pun intended) figure out why Celebrity has not cancelled the Turkey ports for the remainder of the 2016. The country is in political shambles, the news is portraying it as a dangerous area, the United States and Britain are issuing warnings, and commonsense of most people says "just don't go". I think Celebrity should do the right thing and cancel the ports immediately and deal with the modest repercussions from a few guests (I assume most guests are expecting the ports to be cancelled) compared to the worldwide publicity of making the wrong decision. The only reason I can see Celebrity justifying going to Turkey is money. They do not want to loose port fees or they cant wait to get to port and have limited people get off the ship and sell more food and alcohol on board. Celebrity -- I urge you to do the RIGHT thing and cancel Turkey. The downside of being wrong significantly outweighs the upside of being right.

I think you need to cool your jets. Celebrity over the past twelve months been looking very closely at Turkey and the safety of its ships, passengers and crew. Istanbul has been pulled from the itinerary and shirt term Kusadasi and Bodrum have been pulled from the itinerary. Both Kusadasi and Bodrum are far from the political turmoil that has been experienced in the country over recent months. Whilst some decisions have been made at short notice I notice from comments by Celebrity reps that they are even considering compensating passengers for non recoverable costs outside Celebrity control.

I note that you are a first time poster and am curious if you booked on a Celebrity cruise earmarked for Turkey. If not then you don't really have any concerns do you because you aren't going there anyway

I think you need to cool your jets. Celebrity over the past twelve months been looking very closely at Turkey and the safety of its ships, passengers and crew. Istanbul has been pulled from the itinerary and shirt term Kusadasi and Bodrum have been pulled from the itinerary. Both Kusadasi and Bodrum are far from the political turmoil that has been experienced in the country over recent months. Whilst some decisions have been made at short notice I notice from comments by Celebrity reps that they are even considering compensating passengers for non recoverable costs outside Celebrity control.

I note that you are a first time poster and am curious if you booked on a Celebrity cruise earmarked for Turkey. If not then you don't really have any concerns do you because you aren't going there anyway

Amen. I appreciate the concerns re Istanbul and X has cancelled that port. The Turkish coastal and beach towns are totally fine. During July and August, 25,000 people are departing from all over Western Europe each day (!) for a resort vacation in Turkey and all those trips are currently operating normally.

I think all the UK based package tour holidays to Turkey resorts inc Bodrum and Kusadassi are still running fine. That means thousands of people are visiting those resorts and staying in resort for a week or two. Staying in local hotels, eating out in restaurants and visiting places.

So a cruise ship visiting for a day can hardly be an issue.

I think all the UK based package tour holidays to Turkey resorts inc Bodrum and Kusadassi are still running fine. That means thousands of people are visiting those resorts and staying in resort for a week or two. Staying in local hotels, eating out in restaurants and visiting places.

So a cruise ship visiting for a day can hardly be an issue.

Global Affairs Canada advises against non - essential travel to Turkey.

This was on the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. web site:

”After the recent coup attempt in Turkey, the Canadian government has issued an advisory to avoid non-essential travel to the country, a move that could cause travellers with insurance to lose their coverage.

According to a Canadian insurance company, most travel insurance has exclusion clauses that kick in if a government issued travel advisory is in place”.

I realize the U.K. does not have the same warning but the U.S. State Dept. has. Both the Canada and U.S. warnings are still in place right now as per their respective web sites. People may want to check the fine print in their Insurance Policies.

When the turkey situation arose I had already taken out my travel insurance policy. When our government issued the No travel advisories to Ankara, Istanbul and the Syrian border all travel to those places would not be covered by travel insurance however because I had booked my travel prior to the travel advisories I would have been covered for changes to our itinerary. As it turned out we never went to Istanbul and the changes to the ships programme did not cost me anything

Global Affairs Canada advises against non - essential travel to Turkey.

This was on the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. web site:

”After the recent coup attempt in Turkey, the Canadian government has issued an advisory to avoid non-essential travel to the country, a move that could cause travellers with insurance to lose their coverage.

According to a Canadian insurance company, most travel insurance has exclusion clauses that kick in if a government issued travel advisory is in place”.

I realize the U.K. does not have the same warning but the U.S. State Dept. has. Both the Canada and U.S. warnings are still in place right now as per their respective web sites. People may want to check the fine print in their Insurance Policies.

If that is the case, then pax should also be contacting X to confirm where they stand as to Turkey still being on some itineraries ;). As others have said, it's not the case for the UK, but X should take into consideration the travel advisories issued from all countries relevant to its pax ;).

I'm not bothered either way, but would like more notice than we got last year as to our changed itinerary i.e. enroute to Istanbul before we knew ;).

I don't see it is a travel company's (read cruise line in this instance) responsibility to react to individual country's travel advisories other than that of country in which it is domiciled, in X's case the USA although the ships are registered elsewhere. It is the individual passenger's responsibility to ensure that they have adequate travel protection whenever they leave their home country. In X's case they are taking travel advisories very seriously and are conscious of travel advisories issued by many countries in regards Turkey. I know that because they have published such information in news bulletins and emails