What to do with so much onboard credit?

BillderBo

I would take some pricey excursions.

How does that help use up OBC?[/font]

You can book them through shore excursions on board. I've never booked one but I have seen them listed as an option in that port.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

They do sell large blocks of chocolate candy in the ship store with a picture of a HAL ship on it. Surely there must be room and weight in your suitcase to allow $300 of chocolate - after all, where are you going to get it to put on your pillow every night once you get home.

Buy something that you can donate to the charity of your choice upon returning home. It could be something that can be used directly, such as items of clothing that the charity gives to the disadvantaged, or an item that can be auctioned off or used as a raffle prize by the charity as part of a fund raiser.

Increase the hotel service charge daily amount to counter the OBC total.

Bonus: You'll anonymously maybe a lot of crew's week.

I like this one. Also, even if you do not walk you could buy On Deck For a Cause shirts and donate additional to HAL's cancer agencies.

Roy

So many great suggestions after I "checked out" yesterday.

Answer to "Are you going to Grand Turk?" Not this trip.

The thought that you can get a cash or card refund on unused OBC is new to me.

Watches, art and the like...I just assume the prices are over-inflated...?

The thought that you can get a cash or card refund on unused OBC is new to me.
It depends on the source. OBC purchased by friends/family/TA/yourself is refundable, while $ from HAL or Carnival Corp (such as stockholder credit) is generally not refundable.

Edited by jtl513

We have $300 onboard credit per person, plus free hotel gratuities. Plus internet minutes and two $50 drink cards from a future cruise promotion.

What does one do with so much credit? We don't drink much and don't plan to start. We could get laundry service. But what else would a person do with the credit?

One possibility is to simply take a $600 advance from the front desk. You will be charged 3% (or $18). So it is not necessary to throw away the $600 credit on junk. Paying $18 seems to me to make a whole lot more sense than wasting $600.

One possibility is to simply take a $600 advance from the front desk. You will be charged 3% (or $18). So it is not necessary to throw away the $600 credit on junk. Paying $18 seems to me to make a whole lot more sense than wasting $600.

As already mentioned by others, HAL 's rules do not allow you to do this with all OBC (depends on the source of the OBC). Having said this, they most times do not catch it, so most people do get way with doing it, but you should be aware that they just might catch it if you take a large cash advance.

You can't do this IIRC.

The alternative is to load up a slot machine, play one round, then cash out. You can use the full OBC and they give you the cash out regardless of where it came from.