Ideas for surprise marriage proposal

dorisdvu

My nephew (20) is planning on proposing on our cruise. Please share any ideas on how to surprise her. I don't think she would go on stage or anything like that. His parents, sister, her mother and a few friends (appx 13 total) will also be on the cruise.

On the first formal night in the MDR with everyone there at the table, have the waiter bring out a "special" dessert for her under a dome (covering the plate with the ring).

Why not, everyone all dressed up in their finest, the photographer will already be in the dinning room ready to photograph the big event and that special dessert plate put in front of her and unveiled while your nephew gets down on one knee would make for some great stories for years to come!

Good Luck!

Edited by Drazil65

This is pretty simple but I got some great pics from it. While on the cruise I made dinner reservation at the steakhouse for the first formal night so we where all dressed up. My aunt and future mother in law was with us. They have some really good photo opportunities so after the first dinning seating started we all went down to take some pictures because it was not that crowed at that time. I let the photographer know in advance what I was planning on. So she has us all posing in different pictures then she tells me that she thinks it would be a good idea for me to get down on one knee for the next picture and that's when I proposed. I got so many great shots that I never would have gotten. I got pictures of my now wife crying in slow motion because the photographer was just snapping away. It was great and then we went to dinner and had a great celebration. Like I said it is nothing over the top but my wife always talks about it and she has the pictures to show.

This is pretty simple but I got some great pics from it. While on the cruise I made dinner reservation at the steakhouse for the first formal night so we where all dressed up. My aunt and future mother in law was with us. They have some really good photo opportunities so after the first dinning seating started we all went down to take some pictures because it was not that crowed at that time. I let the photographer know in advance what I was planning on. So she has us all posing in different pictures then she tells me that she thinks it would be a good idea for me to get down on one knee for the next picture and that's when I proposed. I got so many great shots that I never would have gotten. I got pictures of my now wife crying in slow motion because the photographer was just snapping away. It was great and then we went to dinner and had a great celebration. Like I said it is nothing over the top but my wife always talks about it and she has the pictures to show.

Nice job on the proposal ;)

Just make sure its private and not a spectacle in front of everyone.

Many years ago one of my cousins surprised his girlfriend by proposing to her in front of the entire family, she politely and awkwardly accepted the ring, she returned it the next day.

All videos of the event have been destroyed to protect the guilty.

Many years ago one of my cousins surprised his girlfriend by proposing to her in front of the entire family, she politely and awkwardly accepted the ring, she returned it the next day.

Your cousin was lucky. I once saw an excruciating moment when the woman being proposed to actually said no in front of a large group. My advice would be to make absolutely sure in advance that the proposal will be accepted.

Edited by Langoustine

On a cruise (don't recall which line) it was showtime in the theater. The CD or whoever was hosting at the moment called the guy up onto the stage under the guise that he had won something. He then asked whom he was traveling with so the girl came up. Then he proposed. She did say yes, hopefully not begrudgingly! Everyone clapped and it was quite nice. They "won" a bottle of bubbly.

The more private methods mentioned above are very nice too.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Do you know how to arrange the photographer? Do you "hire" the photographer for the event or how does it work?

Oh, you don't have to hire them if you do it out in the hallways. Photographers are set up along the promenade to take all sorts of pictures.

If in the dining room you could speak with the maitre de to make sure the photograher is near.

If you want photos at another location, just go to the photo area and ask.

Might be NCL to propose on the dock in port.

With the help of our wait staff, my son-in-law had the ring hidden in a covered butter dish on the table in the MDR. We were all in on it, and passed the dish to my daughter at the beginning of the meal. She was stunned...and it was memorable for our whole group! The waiters then brought her a "rose" made from a napkin, to top it off.