Dining Room Attire

kamari

This isn't rocket science folks. If you are thinking about what you should wear, follow the rules or go to the buffet. If you are thinking about what someone else should wear, get over yourself. No one appointed you God. Carnival can fend for themselves. They don't need your assistance. To review: Follow the rules and worry about yourself.

Huh -- interesting that you chose the word "diverse" to describe opinions on dining room attire; they don't seem very "diverse" to me -- pretty much only two sides to this discussion, EVERY TIME, on EVERY THREAD that has ever been started on these boards!

A. "We want formal/dressy nights, the rules say wear formal/dressy clothes, cruising traditionally involved dressing up, so do it, you scurvy slobs! "

and

Z. "We want to dress casually, we don't care about the "rules," we've paid our fare like everybody else, we're young and modern, this is our cruise, and we will wear what we like, you putrifying elitists!"

Have I got it about right? :p

Not much of a spectrum... ;)

Reality is usually somewhere in the middle. From my experience there are usually a handful that dress in true "formal" style and sometimes a handful that dress outside of the cruise lines suggested dress code. The majority fall within the suggested dress code....some at the dressier end, some at them more casual end, many right in the middle. These threads are like many on cruise critic....a vocal few making mountains out mole hills, many just to try to stir the pot.

That's how the way someone dresses can keep someone from having a pleasant experience. Get it now?

Not really, no. I don't understand why any of that which you described should affect me or anyone else. I'm not impressed by someone's fancy dress or tuxedo and I'm equally not insulted by their shorts or t-shirt. It does not effect my meal at all.

Not really, no. I don't understand why any of that which you described should affect me or anyone else. I'm not impressed by someone's fancy dress or tuxedo and I'm equally not insulted by their shorts or t-shirt. It does not effect my meal at all.

If you are just there for a "meal" and to shovel food into your mouth, then sure, you wouldn't understand it. Others are there for a "dining experience", which includes the atmosphere.

It's not just a southern thing. My son who was born and raised in Colorado always removes his hat when at a restaurant. Whether it's the fanciest restaurant or In 'n Out. And no, no one reminds him. He just knows. :)

Thank you for your education!!:)

The Military, and old-fashioned cowboys thank God follow rule, nice fashioned cowboys ususally follow this rule, nice business men usually.......but run of the mill casual places here..too many have hats on..especially the baseball cap.

Now in a just any restaurant that has a bar..even a cowboy steakhouse....this rule is falling away slowly...it gets me the most...my Grandma and Mom did well towing the line..most guys in my family are good most of the time...but loosing this is sad to me..like taking off your hat for the flag.

Had a dear WW2 Vet friend, Col. Ret., he said the end of the dinner table..at least the Sunday dinner table where it was a collared clean shirt and fresh wash from the waist up...lol..was the beginning of the end of all manners. I wish men could at least do the hat deal always...and yes I am a 56 year old...not the new group.

I don't get how what someone else is wearing could stop you from having a pleasant experience. Could you explain it please?

If you need an explanation I don't think there is anything I can say to convince you. "No Shorts/No flips flops" is a simple rule that anyone can follow.

Edited by OceanBound16

Ima rite sum wurdz here to try an help out. (Against my better judgement.)

First, I see you have cruised Disney. Disney has pretty high standards when it comes to presentation. Imagine Mickey came out to greet you or pose for photos during your trip, but instead of the Mickey costume you would rightly expect, some fool shows up with a costume purchased somewhere in Tijuana, reeking of smoke and BO and tries to pass himself off as Mickey.

I'm guessing you might be disappointed. Probably not what you would expect. That's how I feel when dufus and dorkette show up on formal -- err "elegant" night wearing the very best the swap meet has to offer, and I get to sit with them. Disappointed.

And to continue past the point of no return...

When I finally get to board a ship (it's usually at least 3 years in between trips for us) I feel privileged to be there. I've worked to collect a lot of little green pieces of paper which I then give to whichever cruise line looks good that year so I can go. I've earned this privilege. Not everybody who wants to cruise gets to cruise.

This contrasts mightily with the "I bought a ticket, it's my vacation and I can do as I damn well please" crowd. Never mind the fact they bought the absolute lowest price cabin they could find, harassed a hapless customer service rep in India to get the fare reduced even more and are employing the classic "load a trunk with 5 cases of coke and water strategy" to further reduce expenses.

You see, I just have a different approach. So yeah, it matters to me. As I said before, if you can't be bothered, the buffet is over there...

If the clown in the wife beater and the camouflage hat is sitting at at my assigned table.

I've mentioned this previously in a similar thread. On a Pride cruise two years ago, my wife and I were at a table for two near the entrance for the 6:00 seating. In a booth for four very close two us was a young couple, maybe upper 20's, dressed neatly, both in shorts as were we. Just them that night. It was first night.

The next night was elegant night. They were back - he in slacks and a collared shirt, she in a skirt and top. They looked fine, even for elegant night - neatly dressed. This night, their table mates arrived for dinner. The couple was about the same age. He in droopy NBA basketball uniform shorts, matching sleeveless basketball jersey, and matching team hat - kept on during dinner. She was in Daisey Duke length shorts and cropped top with belly so pleasantly showing. The other couple did not come back to the dining room (or maybe just that table) for the rest of the cruise.

That's how the way someone dresses can keep someone from having a pleasant experience. Get it now?

So ask to change tables.

If you need an explanation I don't think there is anything I can say to convince you. "No Shorts/No flips flops" is a simple rule that anyone can follow.

Yes that is a simple rule but that still doesn't explain how someone wearing them would have an impact on your dinner. If you can't explain it, fine; but it makes you look like you would rather just judge people.

Ima rite sum wurdz here to try an help out. (Against my better judgement.)

First, I see you have cruised Disney. Disney has pretty high standards when it comes to presentation. Imagine Mickey came out to greet you or pose for photos during your trip, but instead of the Mickey costume you would rightly expect, some fool shows up with a costume purchased somewhere in Tijuana, reeking of smoke and BO and tries to pass himself off as Mickey.

I'm guessing you might be disappointed. Probably not what you would expect. That's how I feel when dufus and dorkette show up on formal -- err "elegant" night wearing the very best the swap meet has to offer, and I get to sit with them. Disappointed.

And to continue past the point of no return...

When I finally get to board a ship (it's usually at least 3 years in between trips for us) I feel privileged to be there. I've worked to collect a lot of little green pieces of paper which I then give to whichever cruise line looks good that year so I can go. I've earned this privilege. Not everybody who wants to cruise gets to cruise.

This contrasts mightily with the "I bought a ticket, it's my vacation and I can do as I damn well please" crowd. Never mind the fact they bought the absolute lowest price cabin they could find, harassed a hapless customer service rep in India to get the fare reduced even more and are employing the classic "load a trunk with 5 cases of coke and water strategy" to further reduce expenses.

You see, I just have a different approach. So yeah, it matters to me. As I said before, if you can't be bothered, the buffet is over there...

Maybe you need to find a different cruise line, one that better suits your tastes.

No shorts isn't a rule though (non-elegant nights).

Edited by LMaxwell

Indeed! I wish everyone could understand that. Respect for the occasion, respect for the ship, AND respect for the crew/staff.

With due "respect" you troll the CCL boards and never have, and never will, book a CCL cruise; so what first hand experience have you got on the subject?

So ask to change tables.

That would imply that I didn't enjoy my experience. Keep rationalizing.

Be specific - take a real stand rather than generalities.

Are you okay with wife beaters and hats at dinner? At elegant night? At your table???

Are you okay with the young couple whose evening was diminished by slobs?

I'm not talking shorts and a clean shirt. I'm talking about dressing in a way you wouldn't let offspring to grandma's house for dinner.

I guess one could change grandma's.

Maybe you need to find a different cruise line, one that better suits your tastes.

Fabulous response. Unique. Never seen before. We all should accept an "I'll do what I want" attitude, until it is something you don't want. And everyone has something they don't want.

But I didn't give examples of being impressed by fancy dress. As a matter of fact, I said slacks and a collared shirt on elegant night. And I didn't criticize normal shorts and it wasn't a t-shirt I desrobed. I wear shorts to dinner every non-elegant night when I cruise Carnival.

Use the examples I gave, not the ones you have recreated. Tell me if those examples are okay with you at your table with your family.

With due "respect" you troll the CCL boards and never have, and never will, book a CCL cruise; so what first hand experience have you got on the subject?

I own three tuxes with black and white dinner jackets, and a bunch of cummerbunds, vests and ties, and a bunch more of other custom made formal wear. So, what's your experience?

I guess dressing like a "slob" is to your liking in the MDR?

Gee, I don't even know why I answered your rude post!:cool:

Eh, what the heck, I've got a TRUMP sign on my lawn! :D

I'm not talking shorts and a clean shirt. I'm talking about dressing in a way you wouldn't let offspring to grandma's house for dinner.

Trashy is trashy. I don't even dress like that to mow the lawn. I don't even OWN wife beaters, nor does my wife own daisy duke shorts. So, yeah, I see your point. But I have no problem with someone in neat and clean shorts and shirt in the MDR. Elegant night only exists to sell photos. The atmosphere and food aren't really any different than other nights where nice shorts are allowed anyways. If people are coming in in gym clothes, wife beaters, etc., that's always been against the rules and your gripe is just as much with the Maitre D as anyone else in that case.

I own three tuxes with black and white dinner jackets, and a bunch of cummerbunds, vests and ties, and a bunch more of other custom made formal wear. So, what's your experience?

I guess dressing like a "slob" is to your liking in the MDR?

Gee, I don't even know why I answered your rude post!:cool:

Eh, what the heck, I've got a TRUMP sign on my lawn! :D

None of that made any sense whatsoever.

Let us know if you ever set foot on a CCL ship in your life...

That would imply that I didn't enjoy my experience. Keep rationalizing.

Be specific - take a real stand rather than generalities.

Are you okay with wife beaters and hats at dinner? At elegant night? At your table???

Are you okay with the young couple whose evening was diminished by slobs?

I guess one could change grandma's.

I don't care what a person is wearing, at my table or any other. What a person is wearing doesn't change how I enjoy the evening. I guess I'm not that judgmental.

Fabulous response. Unique. Never seen before. We all should accept an "I'll do what I want" attitude, until it is something you don't want. And everyone has something they don't want.

I want to enjoy the cruise with my family, how you or anybody else dresses doesn't impact that in the least.

Cruise lines designate certain nights as cruise casual, cruise elegant for a reason and also pictures were taken every night. The photographers were set up in the promenade and atrium areas every night. Even throughout the day. Yes I am bothered by the fact that people disregard the rules. Also I have sailed on Royal Caribbean (diamond plus 14 cruises), Norwegian CL (4 sailings), Disney (3 cruises) Princess CL (1 sailing), Premiere CL (2 sailings), Carnival (9 sailings). I certainly realize that ppl do and wear what they want. Unfortunately. The range for what is considered formal is pretty wide on cruises. I typically wear a knee length cocktail dress and heels. Very plain and simple. There are some who wear gowns and tuxes. Compared to my previous cruises, I noticed that people have scaled back and a majority of the attire as I stated before was unacceptable, based on the suggested dress code.

Trashy is trashy. I don't even dress like that to mow the lawn. I don't even OWN wife beaters, nor does my wife own daisy duke shorts. So, yeah, I see your point. But I have no problem with someone in neat and clean shorts and shirt in the MDR. Elegant night only exists to sell photos. The atmosphere and food aren't really any different than other nights where nice shorts are allowed anyways. If people are coming in in gym clothes, wife beaters, etc., that's always been against the rules and your gripe is just as much with the Maitre D as anyone else in that case.

I agree; I have no objection either. I'm talking about the extremes and they are out there. You are also right about it being the laxness of a Maitre D.