OMG, I travel in 2 days and passport is expired

I am divorced and have taken my kids on several cruises. The very first time the rcl person at check in asked to see a notarized letter indicating it was ok to take the kids out of the country. I didn't have it and got worried. She said I should have it but she asked the kids a few questions and that was it and she let us board. The next several cruises we got a notarized letter. There are form letters on the Internet. They have the dates of the trip and also release the parent with the kids to make all medical decisions in the event of an emergency. After about 5 more cruises and no one asking I stopped doing them. I haven't been asked since the very first cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A slight correction...a passport is not needed (but always recommended) for a closed loop cruise. An open loop cruise or any international air travel requires a passport.

Last 4 yrs sailing my Open Loop cruises from Boston to Tampa and now Boston to Fort Lauderdale have only required my Michigan "Enhanced" Drivers Licence with Birth Certificate and is still exceptable. Know only some states have it and I still should get a Passport at some point.

Last 4 yrs sailing my Open Loop cruises from Boston to Tampa and now Boston to Fort Lauderdale have only required my Michigan "Enhanced" Drivers Licence with Birth Certificate and is still exceptable. Know only some states have it and I still should get a Passport at some point.
A Michigan Enhanced Drivers License is the functional equivalent of a US Passport CARD and allows surface (not air) crossing of US borders. You have to prove US citizenship to get a US state EDL, so NO Birth Certificate required to cruise with EDL. Note that I do not assume that all check-in agents are familiar with EDLs; you might need a supervisor to accept it without the BC.

what was the birth certificate for?

We are however pursuing the notarized letter even though I can find nothing that requires it. ...just to be safe.

You should consult an attorney before doing anything....someone who can tell you exactly what you need based on what's in the divorce decree or judgment of divorce. I hope it all works out.....good luck.

Mattg43 said there is no custody agreement but they are planning to get a notarized letter from the other parent. If they get that, what else can a lawyer possibly say is needed to take the kid on the trip? :confused:

Mattg43 said there is no custody agreement but they are planning to get a notarized letter from the other parent. If they get that, what else can a lawyer possibly say is needed to take the kid on the trip? :confused:

Depending on the circumstances....that he does or doesn't need one at all. So much depends on the circumstances and since I'm not a party to them, I suggest he ask an attorney as opposed to say....us. :D

There is no custody agreement. He lives in another state and we don't ask a dime from him and he has not seen his kid in probably 8 years nor does he ever try.

I am a lawyer, so I need to disclose that what I post here is information only, not legal advice, and that we (obviously) do not have an attorney/client relationship. I do not practice family law.

As others have correctly posted, whether or not a single parent needs a notarized permission letter from the other parent depends on the content of the divorce decree. The worst possible outcome in the absence of a permission letter from the other parent is going to prison for kidnapping one's own children. Given that you have had (in practice, if not in law) sole custody for the last eight years, prison would be an extremely unlikely outcome. However, depending on the content of the divorce decree, there could be unpleasant consequences to going without a notarized permission letter.

You should have a copy of your own divorce decree. Read it. See what it says about the children. If it says that you have sole custody and doesn't grant any custody rights to the other parent, then permission from the other parent should not be needed (at least in most states). Consult a family law attorney admitted to the bar in your own state to be sure.

I'm sure the OP found this remark helpful. Glad you are here to provide this type of guidance.

OP, listen to and take heart in the advise of those here trying to provide assistance -- like Bob -- DL and official BC (raised seal, issued by state, not hospital).

I kinda get that they said that, but only because I check my passport 6-7 times before I go anywhere :) But our next cruise is from Venice so I know a BC and DL and picture of my first born won't work!

No marriage so no divorce.

Is the biological father's name on the child's birth certificate? If not, then it would be difficult to imagine any legal basis for a requirement to get the biological father's signature. If the biological father's name is on the birth certificate, then maybe. Again, for a definitive answer, one would consult an attorney in your state specializing in family law.

If the biological father's name is on the birth certificate and he is uncooperative, then you might consider obtaining a court order. In that case, one would definitely want to hire an attorney in your state specializing in family law.

As others have correctly posted, whether or not a single parent needs a notarized permission letter from the other parent depends on the content of the divorce decree.

The poster in question already stated that they weren't married, so there was no divorce and obviously no divorce decree or custodial arrangement. She also said she is planning to get a notarized letter from the father. If she gets that, what more could be needed? :confused:

Edited by waterbug123

The poster in question already stated that they weren't married, so there was no divorce and obviously no divorce decree or custodial arrangement...
Your claim is not at all obvious to me. There can be a custodial arrangement even though there was no marriage / divorce, and quite often is if there is a child support document. Separately the poster HAS stated that there is no custody agreement, but that is not what you have said. Edited by TravelerThom

Your claim is not at all obvious to me. There can be a custodial arrangement even though there was no marriage / divorce, and quite often is if there is a child support document. Separately the poster HAS stated that there is no custody agreement, but that is not what you have said.

No agreement and no support. Don't need or want a cent.