OMG, I travel in 2 days and passport is expired

You absolutely do NOT need a passport to travel! Several in our family do not have passports and they've never had an issue. A certified copy of your birth certificate and driver's license is fine. Even if you got stranded somewhere without a passport, you'll get home....it may be a hassle but you'll get home!

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to take your expired passport with you. In the event of an emergency, it could make getting a replacement passport easier because of the information on it.

I never understood why the passport has to be valid for a cruise. Just because it has expired doesn't mean you suddenly aren't a US citizen

Ive always wondered what happens in this case when the ship HAS to leave people that dont have a Passport.

The people have to get a temporary passport from the US Embassy/Consulate.

If you aren't able to get an expedited passport, you should be fine with a certified birth certificate. I've cruised several times before I renewed my passport and never had any issues on the closed loop cruises.

I never understood why the passport has to be valid for a cruise. Just because it has expired doesn't mean you suddenly aren't a US citizen

When the passport expires that doesn't make one not a citizen, it just isn't valid "proof" that you are. Just like when your drivers license expires, you can't legally drive. Otherwise there would be no need for an expiration date at all.

You COULD go to Houston and "walk your application through"...getting it in one day. You need proof of international travel (hard copy of itinerary) and there is an additional fee. Call (877) 487-2778 for an appointment.

There may be other offices where this is possible.

We have done three in the last year this way at the Houston passport agency. You must be traveling in two weeks or less to do it at the passport agency. An appointment is best if you get the 8:00 AM appointment. Otherwise you are better to go as a walk-in and get there about 7:50 because it will be 8:00 by the time you go through security and make it up the elevator. Two of them we did at 8:00 AM and we were done in under 10 minutes for processing (pick ups are done in the afternoon and no appointments are available for pick up). My daughters we were there around noon and the processing was a little over two hours.

Pick up day is dependent on you're departure date but they do, do it same day if you are traveling within two days otherwise they will have you come back a different day to pick up (could be 1-2 days later). The pick up window is a real narrow window (it is 2:45-3:30)and get there at least 20minutes before the window begins. You do not need to pick up your own passport but whoever does must have the pick up receipt signed by you. Just by chance I got there 30 minutes early (15 by the time I got up there) and the pick up took 15 minutes, the next time I got there about 2:45 and it took me almost 30 minutes to find a place to park and then it took nearly two hours for the pick up. Learned my lesson and went early for the third pick up.

So I have a question regarding children on a cruise. We will be cruising Oasis next Aug with my Niece (9) and Nephew (8) as I read through here I see they don't need a passport but what do I need to legally take them out of the country, and what do they need to travel. But would still like to have the passports to save the hassle if something go wrong.

So I have a question regarding children on a cruise. We will be cruising Oasis next Aug with my Niece (9) and Nephew (8) as I read through here I see they don't need a passport but what do I need to legally take them out of the country, and what do they need to travel. But would still like to have the passports to save the hassle if something go wrong.

We have taken my niece before. She did have a passport but I have taken one of my daughter's friends that went with a birth certificate & drivers license.

You will need a notarized letter from the parents saying that you have permission to take them with you stating your travel plans and dates, have a medical power of attorney, and Royal requires a letter that states that you have permission to sign for all activities onboard and shore excursions. The latter is best to be done separate as we did need have to carry the form to sign the waivers where as the permission to travel and medical release we kept in the safe. All were checked at the pier before boarding with my niece, not always the case with older friends (older teens). The permission to travel was also looked at coming back by customs.

The key is to make sure the birth certificate is an official certified copied (not a photo copy unless it is notarized). This is very important as they will not allow you on with just a photo copy of the official certificate. It is fine if it is tattered, folded, etc. just make sure it has the raised seal and is official. Other than that just have your DL with you and you are fine. The odds of you needing a passport to get home are very slim so don't fret over that as it won't do any good at this point.

Have fun.

An official goverment issued BC is NOT required to have raise seal. In fact most goverment agencies no longer use seals due to the fact that it's easy to counterfiet. Most goverment agencies now use a watermark seal impeded into the fibers of a the paper.

Curious as to what the OP decided to do (try to get passport renewed in 1 day or use birth certificate). Please give us an update when you get the chance.

I checked with RCCL directly. I was able to find my Sate Certified Birth Certificate (a little old and abused, but the agent said no big deal). I've completed online check-in with all our info and all is good.

I did check out local emergency 1 day passport agencies. But the extra $400 it would have cost to do that will be better spent shopping in Cozumel and Jamaica!

Glad you have the certificate and that you have it worked out!

Also, I know you are travelling yourself with your children based on your other thread. I have no idea what your situation is, but wanted to let you know that if there is a 2nd parent that a notarized approval from that person would be needed. Not trying to be nosey....but just want to make sure you have no surprises at check-in!

Glad you have the certificate and that you have it worked out!

Also, I know you are travelling yourself with your children based on your other thread. I have no idea what your situation is, but wanted to let you know that if there is a 2nd parent that a notarized approval from that person would be needed. Not trying to be nosey....but just want to make sure you have no surprises at check-in!

Yes, I have that. I needed it last year for the ski trip to Canada

I checked with RCCL directly. I was able to find my Sate Certified Birth Certificate (a little old and abused, but the agent said no big deal). I've completed online check-in with all our info and all is good.

I did check out local emergency 1 day passport agencies. But the extra $400 it would have cost to do that will be better spent shopping in Cozumel and Jamaica!

You also need a government issues, picture ID too. With the picture ID and birth certificate, you are good to go.:)

The people have to get a temporary passport from the US Embassy/Consulate.

What? They don't get stranded forever like many folks here imply? :rolleyes:

Yes, nice to have a passport. But if it was really required, then RCCL would require them for boring. Until that day... don't worry, be happy!

(yes, I do have my passport)

I I did check out local emergency 1 day passport agencies. But the extra $400 it would have cost to do that will be better spent shopping in Cozumel and Jamaica!

You must have checked with one of the services that take all your paperwork over to the passport agency to have it processed then they go back and pick it up for you. If you go directly to the U.S. Passport agency and have it processed yourself and pick it up yourself it is $60 for the expedited passport.

• 4 weeks later...
Hope this hasn't been answered, but what if your name on BC is different than your name on DL? (married/divorced) I personally have a passport, but am getting ready to sail with a first time cruiser who does not

Thanks in advance

Lori

They would need some sort of bridge document(s) that shows the name transition from that on the BC to the DL.

Are there any hassles or restrictions when using a birth certificate?

Only been out of Galveston once and that time it was actually beneficial to have a birth certificate/DL. The Passport line was huge but the line they were sending birth certificate people to was super short. :( I made a note next time out of Galveston to bring my birth certificate instead. Not sure how it is normally but that was our experience.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I just read the expiration date on my passport and it expired 6 months ago. What are my options? I leave in 2 days from Galveston for Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica.

Birth certificate and driver's license. When you get home, renew it....