Any older solos?

MiddleAgedBroad

I have cruised about 200 days solo, including a World Voyage (and I have another one booked) since I retired in 2012. Although I am not a real outgoing person, I find it very easy to meet people on a cruise. I always have fixed seating with a large table and get to meet couples as well as other solos. I love playing trivia so I get to know people there as well.

It is really nice being able to do what you want and have a cabin to yourself. I would find it hard to share now!

Do not wait around trying to find someone to go with you!

Edited by Scrapnana

To get a realistic feel of a successful cruise stay away from the 3N booze cruise.You would not be happy. Also, you will just spend most of cruise coming, going and embarking/disembarking .Maybe one port. Princess, HAL and Celebrity appeal to Seniors .7N minimum to Caribbean( not Bahamas), best to get an enjoyable first experience.

I am 60 and have traveled solo most of my life. It is the one time you can do exactly what pleases you and when you wish. Perhaps because my work involves constant interaction with people and I am on call 24/7 every day, I especially treasure time when I can just stop and not worry about what the next phone call will bring. Cruising gives me a safe environment among mostly congenial people where I can have solitude or company as desired. I love the time to relax, read, take photos, go to the spa (heaven!) and part of the time, meet new and interesting folks. What's not to like when someone else cooks for you, cleans your room and makes your bed, brings you lovely fruity adult beverages and makes you feel pampered every day? There's always a friendly face or a private spot. Best vacation ever!

Kay

What do you have done in the spa?

What do you have done in the spa?

I know you weren't asking me that question, but I also love the spa! I've been cruising with NCL the last few and next few cruises and buy a spa pass for the week that gives me access to the therapy pool, hot tubs, ceramic loungers, saunas, etc. It's a wonderful place to go spend a relaxing hour or three and soak away the aches of a long day in port! On my last cruise (NCL Epic) adjacent to the spa is a large aft balcony with lounge chairs and day beds. I spent several hours throughout the cruise sitting on that balcony reading (since I was in a studio cabin, none of which have balconies).

:D:D:D

you are only as old as you feel. Now i am younger than you at 43 but i am hooked on solo cruising. Try a studio cabin on NCL escape, getaway, breakaway or epic for the best price or go with your balcony but participate in the solo gatherings. I actually don't go to the solo gatherings and had no problem meeting very nice people of all ages. I say go for it. Life is short and if you enjoy cruising, going solo should not be a factor. I have never felt unsafe as a solo woman traveller on any of the cruises i have done. I have four more solo adventures booked including a transatlantic 14 day cruise on the getaway from denmark in 2017. Can not wait!! Live life to the fullest, I am sure your late husband will be smiling down on you enjoying life!!

Can someone report on the age range of the solos on NCL? 30s? 50s? 70s?

Without even having sailed NCL, I can tell that the age range will vary with the length and season of the voyage. Longer cruises tend to have an older age range, and cruises during school holiday season will tend to have a younger age range (yes, even for solos).

I am 60 and married but also solo cruise several times a year. I usually do 10 or 12 day cruises and there are often many other solos in this age demographic. In fact we have built solo dining tables from our roll calls and now some of us book future cruises together. The Anthem and Quantum do have some solo cabins which enable you to avoid the dreaded single supplement.

Mid-50s here. Cruised solo many times. There are ups and downs, for sure, as with anything. But I still love it. Heading to Greece and (maybe) Turkey in a few weeks. Some thoughts...

For sure, the longer the cruise, the older the average passenger. I have never taken a 3-4 night cruise, but from what I've heard, I would never consider it.

I tend to avoid spring break/summer vacation time. Those draw a higher percentage of college kids and families with younger kids. Plus they're often more expensive.

The choice of cruise line will also influence the age/demographic of the passengers. I cruise mostly Celebrity. Enjoyed Princess as well. Holland America was lovely, but definitely much older crowd (it was also a 16 night transatlantic, which was a factor.) My one NCL cruise wasn't my favorite, although more for the food than the crowd. I wish more cruise lines were more solo-friendly as far as pricing, but it is what it is!

I also don't necessarily seek out other solo passengers. Most cruisers are just generally friendly, and will often strike up a conversation wherever you are.

I do think that if you pack the one essential vacation item (a good attitude!), you can have a lovely time in almost any situation.

only 65 here, but I'm going to ask you for suggestions for meeting fellow solos, besides meet and greet and roll calls. I'm not very outgoing when it comes to just sitting down next to someone who looks to be traveling solo, but I really enjoy meeting new people.

One way is to offer to take someone's photo when you see them taking pictures with their camera. Often singles or couples will be thrilled to either have themselves in a vacation picture or be able to both be in the same shot. I have met lots of nice people this way. You can ask a few questions - are you having a nice cruise, done any good shore excursions, isn't the weather great, hot, cold... Next time you see them they will probably smile and say hi. Be ready with a comment, especially if it shows that you remember what they said before. Happy cruising!

Can someone report on the age range of the solos on NCL? 30s? 50s? 70s?

It varies. As others have said, the itinerary, time of year, and length of cruise make a difference. But it varies by sailing. When I was in a studio on the Epic in March, the solos ranged in age from 20s to 70s.

Like ChiGal, I don't seek out other solos. If I meet them, fine. But, I enjoy spending time with couples as well. Sometimes you just connect with people and want to spend time and others times not so much. On my first solo cruise, I was on the Jade and she doesn't have studios. I met some solos and couples through my roll call and spent some time with them, but spent probably 50% of my time on my own. That's fine with me as I'm very comfortable by myself. On my Epic cruise in March, I didn't get much alone time as we had an active roll call and made a lot of touring plans together. Some of us ended up spending a lot of time together on the ship as well.

Are there any routes/ships that are more geared toward older travelers? I would hate to go to some kind of solo meetup and find myself in a crowd of young singles.

I wouldn't say I am shy, and I AM friendly, but I have never been fully able to get out of my high school head, where I was treated like the fat weird chick. I recently moved to a new state and it has helped that I HAVE to get out.

It also doesn't help that I have RBF (ask me if you don't know what that means) and when my face is at rest it doesn't look happy even if I am.

When my husband was alive, I always wanted to pal around with other couples on vacation, but he never wanted to, so we didn't. The one cruise we took, we ate at the buffet every night because we don't like to dress up.

I'm sort of thinking in terms of taking a very short cruise to start, maybe 3 days or so, just to see how I do, before committing to a week. I like the idea of hanging around in the library or other places on the ship rather than doing the bar thing, which I found depressing in my 20s and would find horrifying now.

I have sailed several times on Oceania with a retired colleague, but so far not solo. As a cruise line, they seem to appeal to an older crowd. There are lots of typical activities...trivia, ping pong, shuffleboard...to keep passengers occupied on days at sea. A library with comfy leather chairs, a coffee lounge, ample lounging by the pool provide lots of on board places to relax. They are beginning to offer more reasonable single supplements on some cruises.

I've sailed in the Mediterranean, around the British Isles, and one trains Atlantic crossing, all of which would be comfortable for solo cruisers, I think. Not so sure about the Caribbean.

The Oceania ships are smaller or mid-sized, which I think makes them more relaxing. My favorite cruise line, for sure!

I'm another "senior" solo cruiser (70+) & I love it! I leave for the western Med. in 5 weeks -- my 3rd solo since my DH died 7 yrs. ago. (I've also done 2 cruises w/friends.)

I like meeting other people, but I like the freedom of being on my own. I've found the dining room & excursions are good for meeting others. In truth, I don't seek out group activities on board; I love the calm & serenity of the sea.

I cruise to see those places I haven't yet seen & I must fly to any cruise. I don't cruise for less than 14 days (hence a bit older passenger list); it's not worth the air fare. [i'll do longer cruises if i can find a cat-sitter who'll do longer!]

I would like to see Princess (& other lines) to provide time/place for a solo gathering or 2 on each cruise. Meanwhile, I'll cruise on! :)

I'm a widow in my 70s and have been back from my first-ever cruise for a couple of weeks and I think Azamara is about perfect. I've just booked another Azamara cruise for next year. Everything about it works for me. They don't offer any activities for kids, so it's an older, well-traveled demographic. They emphasize destination immersion, so port stays are long enough to never feel rushed. There's also plenty to do on board and lots of places to simply relax if you want some down time. It's smallish - fewer than 700 passengers with a great staff/passenger ratio. Your cabin steward, the entertainment director and various other people will know your name after the first day. They all seem truly committed to making sure their guests are happy. It creates a sense of community that you can immerse yourself in as much or as little as you'd like. I never felt a moment's discomfort about being by myself. People are friendly and even though I think of myself as shy, it was easy to meet people. I don't think I ever ate a meal alone, but would've been comfortable doing so if I'd wanted. Azamara offers a lot of nice perks too. They do an onshore evening with really quality local entertainment once each cruise and a couple of on deck barbecues that are lots of fun. The lounge entertainment was always good. There's even a coffee bar that had live music in the afternoon to go with your làtte and biscotti. As a novice cruiser, I really appreciated that Azamara is truly all-inclusive. I never had to wonder about who to tip, if I should drink the Coke in the mini-bar or order a banana daiquiri by the pool on a sea day.

Cruise Critic roll calls and the Meet and Mingle are good ways to 'meet' people before you're even on board. I joined several private tours that were organized on the roll call, and those people became friends on board as well as on the tours we took.

I don't know if a three night cruise is long enough to really get a good feel for the experience. One of the best things for me was not having to think about packing for a week and a half and still visiting 7 or 8 different places. I was so relaxed and happy that I practically had to be evicted when we reached our last port!

Just jump in and do it! I'll bet you'll get hooked like I have.

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...
If you're looking for older solos, you've certainly found one in me! I am 85 and started cruising solo three years ago when my husband passed away. He and I had enjoyed cruising together for almost 30 years, and I determined to continue and took my first cruise two months after his death. I have found that my fellow cruisers are wonderful, friendly people whose company I enjoy immensely. I met two other solo ladies on different cruises, and now I generally cruise with one of them, although we always have our own cabins to retire to. Two years ago, I did six cruises, last year four, and this year only two because of some health problems. I'm doing better now and hoping to pick up the pace in 2017!

Good for you! I haven't done as many cruises as you. Not sure exactly how may but I'm pushing 20. Started in 1974 and had a huge gap to raise kids but trying to make up for lost time.

I see on your list you sailed on the Rotterdam. I assume it was the old one. Great old time ocean liner with a lot of character. I also sailed on Norwegian Dream. No water slides or ice bars on those old ships but they were pretty awesome in they're own way.

Hi, I am going on my 25th cruise,a btb on Explorer of the Seas,Pacific Coastal cruises in Sept. I am 68 and love cruising! All of my cruises have been as a solo. Concerning the last posting, my first cruise was on the old Rotterdam in 1981. I had a blast! Great ship,and I will never forget the live band played until 3am most nights! Those were the days! I did go with a group called Singleworld that is no more. Now that ship is a museum in Rotterdam,Holland!

Please go on a cruise! You will have a good time! But I would advise like others to go on a 7 day or longer cruise. The longer the cruise the older the passengers is true. Bye for now,Kendra

Decali and Kreader, Yes, indeed, the old Rotterdam was a lovely ship. My husband and I were lucky enough to book a cancellation on her in 1984 when our original booking on another, smaller line fell through. We had a tiny inside cabin that was barely wide enough for both of us to walk at the same time, and it had an upper and lower bunk. However, we were so thrilled with the ship and the idea of cruising that the tiny quarters made no difference at all. No, the ship had no rock climbing wall or ice skating rink, but to us, it was the thrill of a lifetime. Remember the old midnight buffets? I particularly recall the lovely ice sculptures and loved the buffets with a chocolate theme. If I ate that much chocolate now I wouldn't sleep for days!

Good for you! I haven't done as many cruises as you. Not sure exactly how may but I'm pushing 20. Started in 1974 and had a huge gap to raise kids but trying to make up for lost time.

I see on your list you sailed on the Rotterdam. I assume it was the old one. Great old time ocean liner with a lot of character. I also sailed on Norwegian Dream. No water slides or ice bars on those old ships but they were pretty awesome in they're own way.

Did you ever sail on the Norwegian Dream with Captain Lars? (I don't remember his last name.) He was a hoot!

As a relatively (3 years) recent widow, it's time for me to stop waiting for people to go on vacation with and venture out on my own. It seems sometimes when I read that most solo cruisers are young and, well, cruising. I am a friendly 61 year old not looking for hookups (or husband #2), but just want a relaxing vacation with interesting ports, hanging out with friendly people of any age, and yes, solo down time on my balcony to read and think.

Are there any older solo cruisers here? What has your experience been?

I am 60 years young and have cruised solo several times. I have met interesting people at breakfast in the main dining room. We usually meet at the bars or tour excursions for the remainder of the cruise. I reserve a solo table for My Time Dining. All in all, I enjoy being with others and having the option for "me" time when needed.

only 65 here, but I'm going to ask you for suggestions for meeting fellow solos, besides meet and greet and roll calls. I'm not very outgoing when it comes to just sitting down next to someone who looks to be traveling solo, but I really enjoy meeting new people.

I suggest you have breakfast in the main dining room. Hopefully, they will sit you at a table with a lively bunch of people that you can hang out with for the remainder of the cruise. If you are at one of the bars, strike up a conversation. I've met interesting people that way - singles and couples!