Cheerleaders needed?

geoherb

As much as I enjoy reading these boards, sometimes the bashing of other cruiselines gets old. There's a current thread on the Celebrity board comparing X to Princess (here). By my count, there are 10 posts saying how much better X is than Princess and 4 that say they're about the same.

We will gladly book either again. Just as we'd book another Royal Caribbean. But I guess I'm a little bit guilty myself in that I wouldn't consider sailing on Carnival or NCL again.

So…what are you looking for from us cheerleaders? I think everyone has their favorite line for one reason or another. I wouldn’t choose an RCI product for personal reasons. If I was looking to go a step “up” from Princess, I would go the HAL route. Unfortunately, the poster who started the thread on the Celebrity board was complaining about her Princess cruise about three months before she ever got on the ship - it's difficult to imagine how she would have been satisfied. She didn’t follow the advice given on this board as to how she could make her dinner arrangements. She sailed on one of Princess’ bigger ships which means a more mass-marketed experience (even though Sapphire was probably much better in quality than I’ve heard Caribbean is).

I’ve not sailed Celebrity, so I can’t compare the two, but I’ve also not found a reason to not sail Princess. My choices are pretty much limited to the smaller ships where the quality seems to be better. It will be interesting to see what happens over at Celebrity when their next line of ships (I think they are 100000 tonners) comes out.

I've sailed RCI several times and would sail with them again if the itinerary were interesting and the price is right. We chose the Nordic Empress (now the Empress of the Seas) because our time constraints when we could cruise were narrow and we really, really didn't want to take a Grand-class ship, which was the only Princess alternative. I've gone on Grand-class ships and much prefer a smaller ship.

While I wouldn't go on NCL or Carnival, I'd definitely consider Celebrity and HAL. I wish that having Platinum status on Princess could be applied to HAL. That would definitely get me to try HAL.

my first cruise was on the Grand...it was PERFECT. Everything I ever dreamed of and more. The last night of the cruise we were on our balcony and the couple next door starts chatting with. They are sighing and looking over at a RCL ship that was docked near ours. The husband said that they had taken a cruise on RCL and it was MUCH better than the Princess one. My DH and I were baffled. We had a great week and could see no reason to complain- heck, we were even on the Caribe deck with the bigger balconies.

To each his own.

We each have our favorites - I have cruised Celebrity and I wasn't impressed with the cruise and immediately went back to Princess.

I seriously doubt the person who made the post will be pleased with a Celebrity cruise. I think she needs to look at Silversea, Crystal or Radisson to get the type of service that she wants. I also think if she had listened to the people on this board and had switched to Traditional Dining, things would have worked out much better for her. Celebrity has the same Traditional dining times......

Having sailed Princess 6 times I tried Celebrity for the first time this past summer and and really enjoyed the cruise. I will certainly cruise Princess again as I have two booked but then again I am also going to sail Celebrity as I also have one booked with them. There are some very good features that Princess has and some that Celebrity has. I will sail both in the future but Princess really is my first choice.

Marilyn

I have been on six cruises and have LOVED them all. I do not have a favorite, they are all my favorites! :):):)

As is so often the case with boards like this, there are those who come to them to share the happy feelings, and there are those who come to sound off about something. In a lot of the cases involving the latter, it's a case of someone not really wanting a solution or answer, they just want sympathy and a little attention.

Ain't nothin' wrong in our opinion with cheerleaders, either. As long as they do it without having to slam the other lines. Yes, we all have our preferences, and are more than within our rights to express our feelings. But listing all of the faults (perceived or real) about something else doesn't make what it's being compared to that much greater. It's like politicians that start slamming the opposition, rather than keeping their positive spin about themselves and not slinging the dirt.

Our first cruise was on Royal Caribbean's Viking Serenade, and it will always have a special place in our hearts because that's where our addiction for cruising began. But, bring up the name on the RC board and you'll find a lot of folks who just have to slam VS for one thing or another.

Our most recent cruise (our 11th in 6 years) was on Celebrity Mercury. Our first trip with them after sailing Royal Caribbean and Princess 5 times each. We loved each and every cruise, and each and every line (so far) for their own unique reasons.

And we intend to try other lines as well. And we expect to find lots to enjoy on each and every one of them. Simply because we like to see the positives in everything rather than look for the negatives. If you look for them, yes, you'll find them. In anything.

That's why I liked MYANGEL's post. It said it all. And far more succinctly than I've managed to do here.

As much as I enjoy reading these boards, sometimes the bashing of other cruiselines gets old. There's a current thread on the Celebrity board comparing X to Princess (here). By my count, there are 10 posts saying how much better X is than Princess and 4 that say they're about the same.

We will gladly book either again. Just as we'd book another Royal Caribbean. But I guess I'm a little bit guilty myself in that I wouldn't consider sailing on Carnival or NCL again.

Glad they like it better.....hope they stay! .....MORE ROOM FOR US ON P:)RINCESS.......ANYONE WANT TO JOIN THEM?

I went on my first Celebrity cruise back in May. I had been reading over the Celebrity boards about a month and a half prior to going. A lot of people over there were complaining about the Mercury being old and worn. I thought to myself "how can a cruiseline who promotes the upscale experience let one of their ships go to hell?" So of course I went on board with the idea that I'd be finding a lot of problems with the ship. I am a person who pays great attention to detail so it's not hard for me to notice when things are not as they should be. The only obvious thing I noticed the entire trip was a handrail was missing the brass endcap (forget what those are called). With the numerous amount of handrails aboard a ship it seemed like a minor issue to me. Other than that I noticed two other things, one was some minor staining in the bathroom sink (but replacing the sink would require replacing the entire counter and certainly not worth doing for minor staining) and a few of the upholstered chairs in the public areas had some minor wear showing, but in that case it was not like the fabric was torn or the chair bottoms were falling out.

I've noticed many people who just ruin the cruise before they step on board, as long as a ship is clean and well maintained I am happy. Being used day after day I don't expect it to appear brand new at all times, it's not economical unless you want to pay a higher price for your cruise.

I've heard many X vs. Princess comparisons and figure people should just book whatever they prefer instead of attacking one or the other. I liked different things from both lines. Princess was the line I first cruised on so in a way that is one reason I like them. Celebrity is a more traditional cruise experience, much like Princess was before personal choice and I PERSONALLY like that so it was a plus for Celebrity. Each have their ups and downs. As for those who ruin it before they go I don't know why they even bother to book. Although they are the type that no matter what cruise line they go on, what hotel they book, or what all-inclusive land vacation they chose they will never be fully satisfied. I don't let them bother me on here, I just feel sorry for the low-paid employees that have to deal with them in person. I can click the back button on my browser and ignore them, a room steward or table waiter doesn't have that option.

If the cruise line can't promote themselves adequately thru their advertising or web site they shouldn't need others to do their job. CC is a good source of what is right or wrong with a line or ship so the cruiser can determine whether they want to travel with them but constant appologists and blind advocates that seem like shills for the line only make me think twice about going with them.

Most cruises have good and bad but touting that everthing is just ducky makes me wonder where their standards are? :eek:

CC is a good source of what is right or wrong with a line or ship so the cruiser can determine whether they want to travel with them but constant appologists and blind advocates that seem like shills for the line only make me think twice about going with them.

Most cruises have good and bad but touting that everthing is just ducky makes me wonder where their standards are? :eek:

I don’t think it appropriate to get into a discussion of the value of a cheerleader as I am one and then I’d only be promoting myself. But I would like to know why one would think that someone satisfied with a product is a blind advocate? Perhaps they are very much a seeing advocate. And why would one think that someone spending their hard earned money over and over again on a product with which they are satisfied would be a constant apologist? What does one have to do with the other? And what is a shill anyway?

I guess I just don’t see the logic that says a customer who communicates satisfaction must first be ridiculed and second, must be covert. And as for my personal standards, they are quite high and that’s why I think it important that I comment on what I think good about Princess. That doesn’t mean they don’t have room to improve or that there are things that they shouldn’t institute on their ships. I’d be cheering even louder if they’d rid themselves of MUTS and Anytime Dining as a matter of fact.

In the mean time, as long as Princess gives me the cruise experience I’m looking for – without issue – I feel it appropriate to continue to tell my stories of good.

If the cruise line can't promote themselves adequately thru their advertising or web site they shouldn't need others to do their job. CC is a good source of what is right or wrong with a line or ship so the cruiser can determine whether they want to travel with them but constant appologists and blind advocates that seem like shills for the line only make me think twice about going with them.

There's nothing wrong with touting that everything is "just ducky" if that was your experience. So far, all our Princess experiences have been VERY positive and they delivered a very good cruise experience. Should I then keep my mouth shut so as not to be called a "cheerleader"?

One should be objective enough to take my "ducky" experience and someone else's not so "ducky" experience and make their own decision.

Calling posters who submit positive reviews shills for the cruiseline is not fair at all. IMO

I agree, but as i have said before, the most loyal fans out there are the Celebrity cruisers. They think there is nothing in world short of heaven that can compare with Celebrity. My take on all this is: every cruise line has its pros and cons and everyone has something that sets them apart. I can't think of one that I would not sail nor do I think one is better than the other. I love Celebrity for many reasons, but also love NCL for instance. We all need to take these boards with a grain of salt. There is not one that is better than the other, just very different!!! NMnita

What I object to is the Princess cheerleaders who attack anyone who posts about a bad experience or a comparison with another line that they found better.

I might like the sandwich and sushi bars on Carnival but dislike the roaming Xers with beer cans in the elevators or Celebrity's main dining room food and service and not like their specialty restaurant with TOO attentive service that interferes with your eating the meal.

Negative coffee comments on Princess get attacks on every good cup of coffee from McD's to Starbucks for what purpose especially when there are so many people unhappy w/P's coffee. Now there are some equally neg comments on coffee on HAL (same ownership)

So far I have sailed on Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, P&O, and NCL and have enjoyed each and every one of my 20+ cruises. Each line has it's own atmosphere and each has it's own quirks. In the mass-market arena they are all pretty much the same.

One line offers a better this, or that line has a great that. Not a single one has ever stood out at being better or for that matter worse than any other.

Maybe the luxo lines are better at everything or not, I am not sure, as I haven't sailed on them as yet. I have always found it odd that if one person says it was a terrible time, or they had "The worst cruise of all time!" someone on these boards will chirp up and say that they were on that same cruise and they had the best cruise ever. Then there will recriminations over how many posts the person who disliked the cruise has, then the boosters come out and say they can't see how anyone could ever have a bad time on whatever cruiseline.

All in all the mass market cruiselines are pretty much the same. They are all hoping to extract as much cash as they can while providing the least amount of service that they can. It's the free market capitalist society at work.

If you like being on a cruise, you will more than likely enjoy them no matter what, if you believe the marketing hype and expect perfection, you are probably not going to be happy.

Best advice, A bad day on vacation is better than the best day at work!

Cheers,

Peter

Every cruise I've been on [over 40 so far] was nearly perfect. Not completely perfect, but I don't remember the things that went wrong. All lines ARE my fave, mostly the next one I'm on. So Princess tops my list now, sailing in about 3 weeks. All lines do something that others don't and vice versa. Whenever I find I'm missing something from some other line, I remind myself that was then, this is now. Enjoy this, forget that.

The only lines I would not sail again are those that have gone belly up. And that's the only reason I wouldn't cruise them again.

Loyal only to what we have booked cause they're all fun.

Dan

Archived