Cheated on NCL... Hello Celebrity

Sestar

Hello everyone. I just booked my first Celebrity cruise. Very excited about it. Been on NCL only because of their casual atmosphere and casual dining and their suite perks. Have to make a change due to so many changes lately from NCL. :p I'm glad I checked out Celebrity. I like what I see so far. :D

We've booked on Summit for NOV 2017 sailing in Sky Suite. Got an awesome deal and their promo for Suites are awesome. I understand that Suite passengers get access to suite restaurant and Michael's Club. Beside no Suite pool or sundeck like NCL, What else can I expect?

I know nothing about Celebrity. Formal dining freak me out! I saw Celebrity has Chic nights instead. Not as formal but fancy enough. :D Can someone elaborate what Chic night really is? Is jeans allowed for men and women?

What else can you advise us?

Much appreciated.

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/blog/introducing-evening-chic/

TBF the blog tells you basically wear what you want as long as you dont look like you've rolled in off the beach.. Jeans are fine - Jeans with holes (unless they are special designer holes) and a bikiini top , probably not ;)

Edited by ighten

I wore jeans on my last Celebrity cruise in the Caribbean. I actually liked it! I live in Florida and wear jeans at night if I'm going out. AC everywhere so no problem. They weren't heavy denim like Levi's and I have them in blue, black and white. I bring more fancy shoes for Chic night then I did for formal night. It's all good...

I wore jeans on my last Celebrity cruise in the Caribbean. I actually liked it! I live in Florida and wear jeans at night if I'm going out. AC everywhere so no problem. They weren't heavy denim like Levi's and I have them in blue, black and white. I bring more fancy shoes for Chic night then I did for formal night. It's all good...

I've lived in Florida all of my life. No jeans in the summer for me [emoji3]

I've lived in Florida all of my life. No jeans in the summer for me [emoji3]

Nor me, not even in winter! I'm sitting here in a sarong and it's too hot!

I don't know who came up with "designer" jeans as a replacement for formal wear, I for one like to dress up and won't be taking anything like this, jeans are not chic no matter how you dress it up (pun intended) but each to their own.

Oh and I do own at least two pairs of Armani jeans and a Versace pair, somewhere in a suitcase but not ever going on a cruise with me designer or not!:D

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I used to think I would miss formal night but I don't. I still dress up, heels and all, but much more comfortable. I am sitting here in a bathing suit but still wear pants at night when I go out, not a fan of low AC and always keep a light coverup in my car for movies and restaurants! To each his own or her own which is what I like best about these new evening chic nights...

Nor me, not even in winter! I'm sitting here in a sarong and it's too hot!

I don't know who came up with "designer" jeans as a replacement for formal wear, I for one like to dress up and won't be taking anything like this, jeans are not chic no matter how you dress it up (pun intended) but each to their own.

Oh and I do own at least two pairs of Armani jeans and a Versace pair, somewhere in a suitcase but not ever going on a cruise with me designer or not!:D

What size? I'll take them off your hands for you!:D

I stopped wearing jeans in my 30s. Instead of jeans, I wear a lot of khaki trousers. Also, in summer in Georgia, shorts.

Jeans are heavy and hot in the summer and frankly, I don't think they are as nice looking as slacks. That is just my personal preference. I see people wearing jeans and some look just fine, except the torn jeans worn by the teenagers.

Also, packing jean take up more space in your suitcase and they are heavier.

Hello everyone. I just booked my first Celebrity cruise. Very excited about it. Been on NCL only because of their casual atmosphere and casual dining and their suite perks. Have to make a change due to so many changes lately from NCL. :p I'm glad I checked out Celebrity. I like what I see so far. :D

We've booked on Summit for NOV 2017 sailing in Sky Suite. Got an awesome deal and their promo for Suites are awesome. I understand that Suite passengers get access to suite restaurant and Michael's Club. Beside no Suite pool or sundeck like NCL, What else can I expect?

I know nothing about Celebrity. Formal dining freak me out! I saw Celebrity has Chic nights instead. Not as formal but fancy enough. :D Can someone elaborate what Chic night really is? Is jeans allowed for men and women?

Much appreciated.

Welcome to Celebrity. You will not be disappointed. If you end up liking the Summit. Try a Solstice class ship if you decide to book with X again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More shoes? :D I didn't think that was possible.

I have cruised with this lady and I guarantee you, she always looks lovely on formal night, chic night or any other night.

thank you ya'll for the great info.

So nice jeans are allowed in Luminae? So if I am wearing one... I won't get a stare from others? We won't do MDR, because we are not a fan of sitting with strangers. According to the website, Luminae is smart casual.

On Chic nights, do u have to be "chic" everywhere or just the MDR?

What other stuffs do u like about being in suites?

More shoes? :D I didn't think that was possible.

I have cruised with this lady and I guarantee you, she always looks lovely on formal night, chic night or any other night.

Thank you Marylou! Can't wait to cruise with you again!

thank you ya'll for the great info.

So nice jeans are allowed in Luminae? So if I am wearing one... I won't get a stare from others? We won't do MDR, because we are not a fan of sitting with strangers. According to the website, Luminae is smart casual.

On Chic nights, do u have to be "chic" everywhere or just the MDR?

What other stuffs do u like about being in suites?

Chic nights are only for the MDR. Luminae is smart casual every night. I wear Ralph Lauren jeans blue or black with polos every night in Luminae or in Blu the Aqua Class cabin restaurant. When booked in a suite you can dine in Blu if you wish. When dining in Luminae you can order food off of the Luminae menu or the MDR menu. Each night in Luminae I order off of both menus.

One for the best things is having your butler set up coffee and a little food on the deck for breakfast. Then get dress and go to Luminae. Also having afternoon tea served by your butler.

2031226448_deckwithbutler.jpg.8769980293b6ac7ba12c1c1b245edcfa.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
add more info

Do you know Chico's? That's kind of the look you'll see on most any evening on Celebrity. You *will* see the dressier looks on chic night. Some people will interpret that to formal, some will think semi-formal, some will have their own version of casual chic. It's not an easy thing to define :rolleyes::roll eyes: so I just aim to blend in and be comfortable and look put together, like I made some effort. I repeat the same slacks or skirt many times on a cruise with the top changed with a jacket or jewelry or scarf. Less to pack.

When you're sitting at the Martini Bar or in the lounges on chic night you *will* see some in formal wear. You will also see people in everything else. Many people LIKE to dress up and that's great. We change our clothes before pre-dinner cocktails and leave them on all evening, so while we're mingling in the different venues throughout the evening, we're seeing everything and we are in the middle. My husband will wear a pair of slacks with an open collared shirt and a sport coat on chic night and we eat in Luminae. Jackets aren't required. But it's not a big deal to slip on a jacket and he and I feel it's just part of the whole cruise feel on some evenings. It's not formal but it's making more of an effort on those chic nights. Even though we don't have to. We're not going to dress the minimum, we're not going to "see what we can get away with." On smart casual nights he will wear slacks and a golf shirt tucked in or a Hawaiian shirt not tucked in. No jeans, and never a tee shirt - not for dinner.

Even though it's always smart casual in Luminae, people *will* dress up more on those chic nights just to keep with the ambiance of the ship. As the vast majority of the ship will be eating in the main dining room we tend to want to blend in. We're never the most dressy and we are not the least dressy. I will wear black slacks (chico's Travelers type) or palazzo pants, khaki "skinny slacks" or white linen slacks on most evenings with some top and on the chic nights it will have some sparkle or bling. Comfortable.

I would suggest you quit worrying about it. Celebrity is NOT NCL. Don't overthink this. Don't try to "get by" with the least you can. I have never worn jeans in the Caribbean simply because they're heavy and hot. My basic BLUE jeans are a relaxed fit and definitely not chic. My own blue jeans have wear on the knees, they don't belong in the evenings on Celebrity. Technically they're acceptable but I just know they aren't chic or even casual chic. They're just blue jeans. The only time I have worn jeans on a cruise is in Alaska on an excursion.

I have some things I only wear on a cruise. I like things that pack well, that hang well and don't wrinkle. Again, my Chico's Travelers clothes.

We choose sky suites because we do spend time in our cabin and there is more room. We are low maintenance and don't use our butler to make phone calls and reservations we can easily do ourselves, but we do get room service breakfast on every port day and he brings that. We do substitute our own desires for the afternoon goodies (shrimp, veggies and hummus, cheese and fruit and crackers on alternate days). We did have a butler once set up a little cocktail party in our suite. That was really great. Be sure to tip more for all the extras like that.

Michael's Club is great. If you want tours of the bridge, of the engine room control room, of the galley - the concierge will set those up. You can get any drink you want. Just tell them. They'll either make it from their own bar there in Michael's or they'll make sure to have the ingredients there to make it. I like a particular creme brûlée martini and it uses Frangelico. They had to get the bottle from another location and after the first afternoon it was always there. We liked a certain cabernet and they made sure it was there for us.

Have a great cruise!

Welcome to Celebrity. The Summit was our first Celebrity Cruise years ago. Fond memories. They have since made a lot of updates.

As someone said, don't over think this. All you will get here are opinions. Heck even on the website you won't always get accurate info.

Being retired and living in S Florida I seldom wear long pants, or socks and most definitely do not wear a suit. So I do not dress up for a cruise to the Caribbean. I wear jeans to dinner - don't care what others think. On the fancy nights I do bring a pair of regular pants and even a sports coat. I even sometimes wear the sports coat.

I think the best thing about the S class ships is the Thalassotherapy Pool. That is if they still have it after the refresh. It's like a giant whirlpool. So relaxing!

Have a great time!

I think the best thing about the S class ships is the Thalassotherapy Pool. That is if they still have it after the refresh. It's like a giant whirlpool. So relaxing!

Have a great time!

I think you meant the "M" class ships since OP is sailing on the Summit and S class do not have this pool.

We cruised on the Summit last January after cruising only on Norwegian and we were also worried about formal nights but found with the new policy it was much the same as Norwegians night out. Some dress to the nines others didn't . I wore dresses most nights but my husband wore nice jeans, khakis or dress pants but always with a collared shirt and sometimes a jacket and never felt out of place. We did sometimes stay later at the pool and would notice on the way back to our cabin that most were dressed for dinner by 5 or 6 which was earlier than on NCL.

We really enjoyed the Summit and found it a very relaxing cruise and the crew was excellent much friendlier and none of the avoiding eye contact we saw on NCL and senior crew were

very accessiblle. We chatted with the Captain at the martini bar and he actually seemed to enjoy talkING with guests. We enjoyed the covered pool that is open to all that NCL ships don't have but we usually get spa passes on NCL but didn't on the Summit since it was not as nice as the thermal spa areas on NCL but other than missing our spa time we enjoyed Celebrity more.

Our next cruise is on NCL because we had a future cruise certificate to use but are looking at booking one of the new Equinox cruises for fall 2017. You will have a great time on Celebrity and it is not as stuffy as some of the posters on here would have you think. Just like on NCL there were all kinds of people on our cruise but it was the crew that really made our Summit cruise our best ever.

Thank you everyone. I am so happy I am finally going outside of my comfort zone. I have two NCL cruises left. I think the biggest challenge would be for my DH. We went to Alaskan cruise two years ago. He didn't even bring any pants or jeans. Cargo shorts all the way. He is defiantly a casual guy. I will make sure he bring a pair of nice jeans or slacks for dinner.

For NCL, butler and concierge are not part of Gratuities pool. We have to tip them separately. Is it the same for celebrity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much appreciated.

There is a big difference, much more subdude.