what will Holland America do when the Prinsendam turns 30 ?

HAL has said they will never do the World on a Vista or larger ship, so they'll need a couple of smaller ships to continue the World and Grand Med and S. America cruises.

These could be two of the R class, I suppose, but it seems that HAL will be selling them off, too.

Stay tuned! It will be interesting what happens.

That makes sense as the Amsterdam, who currently does the WC, max's about 1200 passengers and usually there are several hundred passengers who do the whole cruise along a lot of segment cruisers. Rarely is the ship full so to fill a larger ship may never happen. As the Grand So Am and Med now occur at the same time as the WC, they will need a ship for those cruises if the P'dam leaves the fleet.

Captain Jonathan talked about blue water and black water ships with the Koningsdam being a blue water ship so even though it can do a TA, it sails better in the Caribbean or Med while the Amsterdam and Prinsedam are black water ships and can handle the rougher seas with a bit more ease.

Rumor has it that a Seabourn ship will be replacing

the Prinsendam when the time comes.

Why not build a modern small ship rather than replacing an old ship with a slightly less old ship? That would be a lot more exciting.

Edited by Boytjie

I am fairly certain in ten years we will be sailing a different line to continue to enjoy smaller ships.

I'm with the small ship folks. More interesting ports without crowds, less tendering, easier to get around while on board.

Try Oceania. 4 "R" class ships, a maximum of 680 passengers with outstanding food and beds. No up-charge for specialty restaurants, soft drinks, bottled water and coffees included:

I also think it may be a transfer in. HAL has a 30-year useful life on its ships, and the Prinsendam is nearing this. A new build replacement would be on order by now.

I also think that HAL may simply retire the class. Unlike others on this forum, I do not believe that the P is the most profitable. It seems counter intuitive to me to invest in new larger classes of ships sailing with 2650+ passengers if your most profitable class is less than 40,000 tonnes. Why not just build more ships at this class?

Supply and demand. If they add a lot of small ships they have to sell more cabins and likely would have to sell it at lower fares.

I'm with the small ship folks. More interesting ports without crowds, less tendering, easier to get around while on board.

Try Oceania. 4 "R" class ships, a maximum of 680 passengers with outstanding food and beds. No up-charge for specialty restaurants, soft drinks, bottled water and coffees included:

No thanks - one O cruise was enough for me :rolleyes: The Prinsendam had my O cruise beat hands down.

^^^^^^^^^^ What she said.

ditto for me also.....

for such an "upscale" premium line which Oceania was touted as in its baby years, how would you like to eat in the dining room, right after muster drill has taken place, when all the silverware, glasses, napkins had been set before the drill? People were fingering utensils, twirling the glasses, wipes their hands on the napkins.

I say "yuck". ....... and funny, the staff/management did not see anything wrong with it...blank stares.

Meanwhile, my neighboring seat, the gentleman was sneezing into the plate/napkin, and everything else you could think of, throughout the ENTIRE drill. Another lady seated at the table was absentmindedly running her finger around the rim of the water glass, continually - an innocent, mindless gesture - but someone had to drink out of that glass for dinner.

Totally disgusting - needless to say I went and made a specialty dining reservation for VERY LATE that first night,

Kazu, did you not say in a reciew or post that some wine glasses which were removed from your table were placed on another table, without wiping them down? I may be mistaken.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

ditto for me also.....

for such an "upscale" premium line which Oceania was touted as in its baby years, how would you like to eat in the dining room, right after muster drill has taken place, when all the silverware, glasses, napkins had been set before the drill? People were fingering utensils, twirling the glasses, wipes their hands on the napkins.

I say "yuck". ....... and funny, the staff/management did not see anything wrong with it...blank stares.

Meanwhile, my neighboring seat, the gentleman was sneezing into the plate/napkin, and everything else you could think of, throughout the ENTIRE drill. Another lady seated at the table was absentmindedly running her finger around the rim of the water glass, continually - an innocent, mindless gesture - but someone had to drink out of that glass for dinner.

Totally disgusting - needless to say I went and made a specialty dining reservation for VERY LATE that first night,

Kazu, did you not say in a reciew or post that some wine glasses which were removed from your table were placed on another table, without wiping them down? I may be mistaken.

Carol

Bolding is mine. You have a good memory Carol. I did indeed. I also posted a pic of my coffee cup which was so cracked that it would never have been cleaned in a sanitary way. Not even an apology when they finally removed it.

Just a few of the disturbing things we saw. Apologies for the thread drift ;)