Ms Maasdam help with cabin grade choice please

Bedruthen

I like to have a cabin which is quiet, hate to be disturbed when I'm sleeping, so we usually choose a cabin withy he decks above and below also being cabin decks. However on Ms Maasdam, there is only the main deck and it doesn't have balcony cabins.

so we are considering the verandah deck which has cabins above but not below. We have never had a cabin with shops, restaurants etc below, so would we hear noise from below us? We are considering the BQ spa cabins which are above the theatre entrance and the A cat vista suites. Only guarantees are available though..

Any info on this ship would be helpful, esp as it is only categorised as a 3* ship.

Thanks everyone

Not sure what a 3* ship rating actually means since this is an older ship, smaller than most and very classic in its design and offerings. It is one of our favorites for all of the above reasons. 5* for our personal rankings. We have many days on her, always in a verandah cabin and never had any noise problems coming from below decks.

On occasion we have heard chair scraping when below any of the open upper decks, usually in the afternoon when the deck stewards are clearing things up. And once late at night when I wonder if something was getting rolled around in the wind that had not been fastened down.

But you are wise to check to see what is above and below and even sideways since closer to the engine and mechanical equipment can lead to other types of sounds and vibrations and even smells - one time we had a strong hot electrical smell but only in the hallway going to the cabin on the Rotterdam lower deck ocean view cabins - and it was next to one of those middle blank areas on the deck plan.

We've been above the MDR on other ships and heard no noise - and have never been in any noisy shops! :) You might get some late night music above the Ocean Bar.

Edited by jtl513

We've had a forward Vista Suite on both Maasdam and Veendam. I don't remember the exact locations, but we were over the Ocean Bar one time and had no noise issues.

If noise is a problem, you're wise to avoid the Neptune Suites unless you can choose the location. If the band is playing at the pool, the noise will be heard on Navigation deck. I had to run out of the Lido pool area to escape the din one time, and it made me curious, so I went down one deck and walked along a Nav deck corridor. A very long stretch of that corridor reverberated with the "music" from the Hellcats. That walk on our first Veendam cruise convinced me that I didn't want to splurge on a Neptune on that class of ship.

Maasdam is a lovely ship. We enjoyed our cruise on her very much.

We had the last cabin on the port side (220), directly below the aft Lido deck and didn't hear a peep from above. This was for a Canada/New England cruise, and not a lot of people used the aft swimming pool. Nevertheless, I wouldn't hesitate to book in that area again.

I don't know how the Maasdam got a 3-star rating. I would give it at least a 4+ rating. It is now my favorite ship. She's a little beauty.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

We have spent about 35 nights in those A category Vistas. Starboard side. Not the Maasdam, but the Statendam. I think they are laid out the same. Anyway, we had noise one night from The Mix, for about 10 minutes. I'd be happy to book a cabin in the same area again.

If I were looking at Veranda Deck, I would be looking for a cabin over the Explorers Lounge, Explorations Café, or the dining room. All those places are quiet at night.

Too many times I have been in the area where the Piano Bar used to be (The Mix is now), and the entertainer was told to lower the volume because people in the cabins above were complaining about the noise. Now that The Mix is an open area, that sound will carry over a greater area.

Any music in the Ocean Bar can also be heard in cabins above. And, of course, the second show gets out about 10:45-11:00, so unless you are up then, that could be disturbing.

Edited by RuthC

If I were looking at Veranda Deck, I would be looking for a cabin over the Explorers Lounge, Explorations Café, or the dining room. All those places are quiet at night.

Too many times I have been in the area where the Piano Bar used to be (The Mix is now), and the entertainer was told to lower the volume because people in the cabins above were complaining about the noise. Now that The Mix is an open area, that sound will carry over a greater area.

Any music in the Ocean Bar can also be heard in cabins above. And, of course, the second show gets out about 10:45-11:00, so unless you are up then, that could be disturbing.

Thank you Ruth, that's helpful advice

Just got off 14 days on Maasdam and we had a port side Vista that was above the Explorations Cafe. Never bothered by any noise at all. It was a last minute upgrade and I had carefully chosen our original OV on the Lower Promenade, but thought we'd safe over the Library/Explorations Cafe. Turned out to be handy when craving my Latte fix!