No more Carlos Bake Shop!!!!

christinalvt

When we were on Getaway a couple of years ago we enjoyed some peanut brittle that we had to pay extra for and a flavored coffee at a small shop just off the atrium where they run movies...was that Carlos or an NCL Coffee cafe? I don't remember?

The cakes in the Atrium were Carlos. The coffee bit was always separate I believe. From memory, if you order a cake and a coffee they do it as two transactions on different tills.

Now, the cake bit isn't Carlos, but the setup is similar.

Just looks like they did away with most things that they would need to pay to be using the name. So I am a bit surprised the Margaritaville's are still around.

I have to say I never had the chicken pot pie, my daughter always used to love the cheese sticks you could get, which I believe are gone now.

The old menu for Ocean Blue was horrible IMO. They didn't have a single dish I would have wanted to order. Now they have lots of things I would try and we have a night booked on our upcoming cruise.

Wow finally someone with some sense. Exactly. Bingo. Jackpot. Ding Ding Ding.

Carlos disappeared the same time everything else started to disappear including the fireworks. Not only do they not have to share profits with the name but they get to keep all the profits. Its a shame they removed the fresh baked chicken pot pies and replaced them with hot dogs. Hot dogs should only be served at the buffet or BBQ. A hot dog should not be a MDR or restaurant entre item. Remember its all about the nickel and dime. That is the steel plate on FDR's desk.

Edited by david_sobe

The cakes in the Atrium were Carlos. The coffee bit was always separate I believe. From memory, if you order a cake and a coffee they do it as two transactions on different tills.

Now, the cake bit isn't Carlos, but the setup is similar.

...oh, OK thanks, We will be on the sister ship Escape in a few months and I'll see how their set up is. Hubby enjoyed the shows in the atrium and it's nice to have a place that close if you just want a little special snack. I guess I remember the peanut brittle because it's something you can't find anywhere else on the ship.

...oh, OK thanks, We will be on the sister ship Escape in a few months and I'll see how their set up is. Hubby enjoyed the shows in the atrium and it's nice to have a place that close if you just want a little special snack. I guess I remember the peanut brittle because it's something you can't find anywhere else on the ship.

The setup is pretty well exactly the same on the Escape.

I can't say whether the peanut thing is still available. My only dealings have been to hand my card over to pay.

Then why haven't they changed the entertainment on the other ships? Why does the Gem still have those stale dance shows that look like they were
? Why is Rock of Ages still on the Breakaway?

Because the theaters on the older ships likely cannot handle the technical requirements of a show like Blue Man Group. Also, the show is essentially a fixed cost so the capacity of the theater figures in. You wouldn't stage Cirque du Soleil Empress of the Seas.

Maybe Rock of Ages is very popular. Maybe Breakaway does't attract enough repeat cruisers to justify changing shows.

Maybe Rock of Ages is very popular. Maybe Breakaway does't attract enough repeat cruisers to justify changing shows.

Or maybe the Breakaway is only just over three years old, so this point is irrelevant as the Blue Men still had a couple of years to go at the equivalent time.

Because the theaters on the older ships likely cannot handle the technical requirements of a show like Blue Man Group. Also, the show is essentially a fixed cost so the capacity of the theater figures in. You wouldn't stage Cirque du Soleil Empress of the Seas.

Maybe it's got nothing to do with any of those things. Maybe it's got to do with NCL instituting cutbacks across the board.

If they were really instituting cutbacks across the board, Rock of Ages would have been cancelled, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert would have never been staged, The Illusionarium and Cirque Dreams would have been dismantled and all shows would be the Crew reenacting scenes from Titanic.

NCL has been instituting cutbacks over the last few years. They got rid of Nickelodeon, Geoffrey Zakarian, Cake Boss, Hippo Slide at GSC, fireworks, Blue Man Group, etc.

You still haven't answered the question, what's wrong with Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?

It's not bad. It's just a downgrade.

Blue Man Group: An average of 60,000 people a week attend Blue Man Group performances in six cities around the world — not including the touring shows — at an average ticket price of $59, or roughly $3.54 million in revenue a week from sellouts. (According to article in 2012.)

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: After 2013, popularity has been declining. Show is still going through some parts of Europe. Ticket prices less than half of Blue Man Group.

Does anyone know why they took away Carlos Bake Shop from the Breakaway? I was SO looking forward to the lobster tails, and was very disappointed to find out that it was replaced by a generic bake shop with only overpriced cupcakes and macarons.

Christina

I went to a chefs table on Jade in March, and we asked this question.

#1) All the cakes had to be made at Carlo's bakery (In NJ, I think?), then frozen and shipped to the ship.

#2) thawed out baked goods tasted bad (I had a cupcake on Jewel in 2015...it was NASTY. And it was red velvet, which is my favorite!)

#3) Some never were fully frozen and would arrive moldy/runny/gross.

I went back to try and find the press release about Blue Man Group leaving, but couldn't find it. Do we know who cancelled the contract, NCL or BMG?

I'm pretty sure it was never stated. The NCL press release would have focused on the new things, not the outgoing ones.

In fact, I can't imagine anyone cancelled the contract. It was much more likely a non renewal. That could easily have been a mutual decision, NCL cutting costs or BMG asking for too much. I suspect we will never know, unless BMG feel hard done by, in which case they may take a dig in their book which is out this Autumn (I'm not expecting that at all but you never know).

Edited by KeithJenner

I'm pretty sure it was never stated. The NCL press release would have focused on the new things, not the outgoing ones.

In fact, I can't imagine anyone cancelled the contract. It was much more likely a non renewal. That could easily have been a mutual decision, NCL cutting costs or BMG asking for too much. I suspect we will never know, unless BMG feel hard done by, in which case they may take a dig in their book which is out this Autumn.

I mean to say not renewing instead of cancelled...bad choice of word on my part.

Working in the entertainment industry for over 35 years, I have seen many artists not renew their contracts and vica versa with companies not renewing them. For all we know BMG might have felt that it wasn't a great fit after all or they had a hard time getting artist to live on the ships for a length of time or they asked too much to have the contracted renewed. Or it could have been that NCL didn't want to pay the renewal rate or they wanted to switch up the entertainment or they thought, because of many return cruisers, BMG had run it course.

I would think, unless someone knows why the contract was not renewed, it is disingenuous to blame it on one party or the other.

oh, I too was looking forward to Carlos' Bakery again. Lobster Claw was the best. They opened a new branch in Garden City, NY and it is always packed. Ocean Blue had the best Delmonico Steak and as a non fish lover....wonderful Denver Sole. Disappointed. v.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The bakery was in a poor location. Every year when I get on the ship, I would mention the bakery, but after day 1 and being essentially too full from all of the free food, Never purchased anything or even thought of the bakery.

Heard about items being brought in frozen too.