Illusionarium Bites the Dust

djmess

Think looking back over my notes from the last Epic trip we only visited one show.. Priscilla; think I lasted about 15minutes.

Cheese does not cover it...

Cheap versions of Broadway shows never works - they end up looking cheap and sounding diabolical.. At least the Epic and NCL still have the live bands in a room experience though (eg The Cavern).. I think these more intimate club style venues are way better as the music comes across.

D quality singers performing to Z quality backing tapes does not work

Edited by ighten

This is so disappointing. But, have to wait to see what happens.

At least 3, maybe all 4 acts have been on board for I think over 2 years, which is quite a loooooooooooooooooong time. So, I would not be at all surprised if they just didn't want to renew the contracts.

I understand the decision to eliminate both Legally Blonde and the Illusionarium. Legally Blonde was a rather poor quality show. The Illusionarium was unique and worthwhile but not something you would likely want to pay to see a second time. The theatre isn't used except for the show and the Getaway would benefit from having another really nice venue. The space for the comedy club is really uncomfortable with hard chairs and a cement sort of floor. Maybe the comedy club will go there?

This is so disappointing. But, have to wait to see what happens.

At least 3, maybe all 4 acts have been on board for I think over 2 years, which is quite a loooooooooooooooooong time. So, I would not be at all surprised if they just didn't want to renew the contracts.

MDQ contract is for three years. They are just finishing up year one in November.

(Humors, tongue-in-cheek :p) spinning it for NCL, hmmm ... a computer glitch, a programming mixup (as they've been tweaking their website & making "changes" lately :eek:) Let's hope that's all. Refer to the cruise contract, right.

Anyone planning to call into NCL to ask directly :confused: - please do share & post if you find out. Otherwise, one could be watching NCL crew productions for entertainment instead, some are good :rolleyes:

But, IMO, it was getting very pricey with that nominal upcharge, surcharge, supplement or whatever it's labeled, plus the 18% - even if you don't book or need the premium, front row seating option. Saw it on the BA once in 2014 and enough, did not bother in 2015 or early this year.

An earlier post indicates that the show ends September 18.

Glad Legally Blonde is gone- my niece's HS production was the same caliber. Illusionarium was a one shot deal. We went to the show on our first cruise but on 2 subsequent we did not. It is an really nice sized space for another club or some such. We shall see! The only entertainment that I would miss on any ship are the comedians and, on NCL, Howl at the Moon. But I am looking forward to MDQ...

Looks like there may be another entertainment casualty for Norwegian.

Apparently the Illusionarium ends as of Sept 18 on the Getaway. I'm sailing on Oct 2 and it has been removed from our entertainment options. Calls to NCL are saying that it ends on Sept 18.

I guess time will tell and we will see how this to plays out

That's a shame, my wife and I really enjoyed this show. And it's for a fee so it's not like they weren't making money on it. Maybe they'll replace it with a for-fee lecture on the best places to buy jewelry in ports complete with coupons, also given out for a fee.

Welcome to the "Takeaway" vis-a-vis the Norwegian "Edge" :D :eek: - can't really say one should be surprised, trending has been on the walls.

Enough said.

LOL I love that - Norwegian Takeaway! :eek:

Someone on our Breakaway Oct 16 sailing was told they had a stop sell order for the Cirque after September 9. Though what is interesting she can't see it on the log in, but my log in still shows it and shows 4 dates and times available to book.

Not sure whether they have gotten rid of it, or if there is just some sort of system glitch not showing on some peoples logins? I booked and for for the Cirque on the sailing. Guess I will see if anything on ours shows up as a refund?

Though I can imagine since NCL seems to be getting rid of anything outside that they would be paying any money to that the Cirque and others would go away. Though we saw the Cirque show before and were willing to go again, same with Burn the Floor and Rock of Ages. Though it would be nice if they would switch the shows up and rotate them through the different ships. Though another reason to not sail the same ship twice.

I understand the decision to eliminate both Legally Blonde and the Illusionarium. Legally Blonde was a rather poor quality show. The Illusionarium was unique and worthwhile but not something you would likely want to pay to see a second time. The theatre isn't used except for the show and the Getaway would benefit from having another really nice venue. The space for the comedy club is really uncomfortable with hard chairs and a cement sort of floor. Maybe the comedy club will go there?

However bad it was, it will not compare to "the music of Burt Bacharach to a story of a roadtrip to Vegas to get married with out of tune singers" which was on the Star last year. Needed vodka intravenously to dull the pain.

It appears that NCL needs a lesson in communication. If a show is ending (or anything major is changing, for that matter), announce it well in advance and include what is replacing the change. Have they ever heard of a press release? C'mon, folks!

Ok. I just got off the phone with NCL. ( sailing Oct 16 on the Getaway). The phone rep said Illusionarium is not showing in the system as being canceled. He put me on hold for about 15 minutes, said he spoke to 2 different supervisors, and they also were not aware of any change.

He told me that even if NCL had not sent out a memo to supervisors regarding any changes, that the computer system would have been updated, and not allow anyone to book the show. He could still pull up the show & book it, as can I.

He said if anything changed, and a show was canceled, you would be notified by email, and given to choice to book something else or just get a refund.

I won't hold my breath for any email, but I will still keep my eye on my booking to watch for changes.

So I'm not sure what is going on, as it seems there is different info being given out?

I sensed a change in NCL entertainment when I saw the star of the Illusionarium show at the Pantages in Hollywood a couple of months ago.

Also, the Xcite band that was on the NCL Star for several years are now on Princess ships.

I don't know the real reason for the changes, but it does bring forth some questions.

One consolation, if I'm remembering correctly, is that you now have Million Dollar Quartet in the theatre. We saw it on the Escape before it transferred to the Getaway and it is fabulous! Probably the only show seen on a ship that I will never forget, it's that good. Tastes vary, but blows Legally Blond out of the water, IMO.

That's just the thing, tastes do vary. I've seen both (on land, not on ship) and I preferred Legally Blonde. I did like both, and you will enjoy the show. But I'm not a big 50's music fan, and I prefer shows that have a story. (MDQ has a loose story, but it's really more a people singing songs show).

Just spoke to NCL. I am on the Breakaway 9/4-9/11 sailing. They said Cirque will be stopped on 9/9, which is during the cruise, but didn't know if the show would be available earlier in the week. She said it has been removed from the website, but to check onboard to see if show can be booked. So I guess it will be a wait and see until we are on board.

That's just the thing, tastes do vary. I've seen both (on land, not on ship) and I preferred Legally Blonde. I did like both, and you will enjoy the show. But I'm not a big 50's music fan, and I prefer shows that have a story. (MDQ has a loose story, but it's really more a people singing songs show).

On Land though.. Its a bit like comparing apples and oranges unless it was on land at a high school that was having a bad year for singers and actors

Think looking back over my notes from the last Epic trip we only visited one show.. Priscilla; think I lasted about 15minutes.

Cheese does not cover it...

Cheap versions of Broadway shows never works - they end up looking cheap and sounding diabolical.. At least the Epic and NCL still have the live bands in a room experience though (eg The Cavern).. I think these more intimate club style venues are way better as the music comes across.

D quality singers performing to Z quality backing tapes does not work

That's true, if the production quality of a show is poor, then it's going to make it look a lot worse. The regular production shows are often poorer quality or cheesy, but you expect that out of them, not in a broadway inspired show. "Rock of Ages" I enjoyed, but it's supposed to be a little cheesy, and that's my "era" so I enjoyed the songs more. Others may not like it as much. We still had Blue Man Group on Epic. I thought the RCCL shows are done rather well though, particularly "Hairspray" when it was on Allure.

On Land though.. Its a bit like comparing apples and oranges unless it was on land at a high school that was having a bad year for singers and actors

Exactly, can't compare the shows on the ship. I saw both Legally Blonde and MDQ on land. The quality of the shows are probably different on-board. Maybe it's why people like MDQ so much onboard, there is less acting and more just singing top songs. (In effect, it's an upgraded NCL's "Legends in Concert" with a story around it.)

Exactly, can't compare the shows on the ship. I saw both Legally Blonde and MDQ on land. The quality of the shows are probably different on-board. Maybe it's why people like MDQ so much onboard, there is less acting and more just singing top songs. (In effect, it's an upgraded NCL's "Legends in Concert" with a story around it.)

I respectfully disagree. The quality of MDQ is just as good on the Getaway as it was in Chicago where it ran for seven years. The show itself was nominated for 3 Tony's when on Broadway.

Three of the guys in the show (Carl P, Sam Phillips, and Elvis characters) that I know of are Equity actors, two have been on Broadway. Carl P (Kurt) was in the MDQ show in Chicago for 2 years before it closed. Jared who plays Jerry Lee is as good as any of the 4 Jerry Lees I saw in Chicago. It takes a very gifted artist to play him! And Will is wonderful as Johnny Cash.

I have seen cheesy shows on cruise ships-Holland American comes to mind. When in Ketchikan, the performers dressed up like Lumberjacks and danced around for example. NCL's shows thus far (including Burn the Floor) are much better than that.

As far as communication goes, the current cast was supposed to begin on the Escape in February, but NCL decided at the last minute to change it to the Getaway. There were some anxious days for the actors until they found out several months later exactly what was going on!

Edited by Seminole1975
Add some information

Just spoke to NCL. I am on the Breakaway 9/4-9/11 sailing. They said Cirque will be stopped on 9/9, which is during the cruise, but didn't know if the show would be available earlier in the week. She said it has been removed from the website, but to check onboard to see if show can be booked. So I guess it will be a wait and see until we are on board.

My log in on NCL still allowed booking of the Cirque show this morning. That was for October 16 sailing.

Though if they are going to cancel something, once again a little notification and picking a date where people would have been at least 90 days out so that they couldn't book it. I just booked and paid for the Cirque on Monday for our sailing.

Looks like there may be another entertainment casualty for Norwegian.

Apparently the Illusionarium ends as of Sept 18 on the Getaway. I'm sailing on Oct 2 and it has been removed from our entertainment options. Calls to NCL are saying that it ends on Sept 18.

My log in on NCL still allowed booking of the Cirque show this morning. That was for October 16 sailing.

Though if they are going to cancel something, once again a little notification and picking a date where people would have been at least 90 days out so that they couldn't book it. I just booked and paid for the Cirque on Monday for our sailing.

Yep, and Norwegian Getaway sailings immediately after the quoted ending date still have the ability for booking online.

Illusionarium continues to be listed on my Vacation Summary as booked and pre-paid . . . but there will be zero surprise if it goes away after getting the head-up from Cruise Critic rather then NCL. That has become a new, and unfortunate, 'norm'. :(

This leaves me wondering what will happen with Cirque Dreams on the EPIC?

What will NCL use the space for on these ships? More Karakoe or Triva????

Yet another cutback "for our convenience" I am sure, although if true this is the first cutback I know of that will cost them money - although it is possible that they money they will save on performer salaries, shoreside rehearsal times/space, etc far outweighs the revenue these venues produced.

I hope it's not true because illusionsarium is one of the reasons that I booked this ship for December trip . It's one of the few places I'm willing to spend extra money on board the ship as well as a place where entire family can enjoy the show and dinner. It's pretty stupid of Norwegian to do all these changes without warning . At the very least, they should announce a future date , like six months ahead. when the changes are going to take place.

Edited by Captain Underpants