Chef Table extra 15%?

Bases5

I was reading another post here on CC and people were saying the Carnival is adding a 15% gratuity to the chef table making it $86.50

Can more people confirm and when did they start this,

Start post 17

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2380193

According to Carnival's website, the 15% gratuity will be automatically added to the guest's Sail & Sign account.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086/~/the-chef%E2%80%99s-table (It's in the 4th paragraph)

So yes, it is true. Don't know when it started, but it's there in black and white on Carnival's website.

Edited by bigman01

When Carnival added the 15%, Princess simply raised the price of their meals. Carnival is now transparent about the gratuity. No more confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

It probably was done because too many people didn't tip.

A tip was always included in the cover charge. This is just a way for Carnival to increase it's revenue without increasing the advertised price and shifting the "tip" back to a separate line item from the customer.

Did you not think you should have to tip?

I've heard people that don't get out of their house much actually ask if they were supposed to or not on our last cruise.

Takes the guesswork out. I can't even imagine a chef's table experience that didn't warrant at least 15%, so I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled over it, IMHO.

Edited by christyran1228

I've heard people that don't get out of their house much actually ask if they were supposed to or not on our last cruise.

Takes the guesswork out. I can't even imagine a chef's table experience that didn't warrant at least 15%, so I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled over it, IMHO.

Exactly, I always added 20% so for me this is a discount.

Edited by isaiahsnana

I believe the steakhouse is pretty clear that tip is included in the $35 (though you can always increase) ... I could be wrong, but I don't see anywhere that specifically states that about the chef's table.

You are also supposed to tip excursion guides if you feel they did a great job, too, btw. 🙃

Edited by christyran1228

I'm not getting my feathers ruffled.

I just wish they call it what it is (service charge).

It has been well documented that the tips were included in the charge

I'm glad they put a 15% on. I have always tipped more, but not now. They add 15% that's all they get

I also always did 20%. They would not have to make it mandatory if so many people were not so cheap and not tip. I will still add a little bit when I am at the chefs table in September. I am glad they put the 15% to cover those who were not tipping:eek:

I'm not getting my feathers ruffled.

I just wish they call it what it is (service charge).

It has been well documented that the tips were included in the charge

I'm glad they put a 15% on. I have always tipped more, but not now. They add 15% that's all they get

That would really make you tip less for great service? And not even a wee bit ruffled? Lol

Thought I had read that it also applies to the Steakhouse. May not be. Originally, I had understood that the Steakhouse fee included a gratuity.

I know they say that the tip is included in the $35 Steakhouse charge or the $75 Chefs Table and as you know I always add more, but would you please tell me how much of that $35 or $75 goes to the tip, and how many share in it, is it just the servers or also the cooks.

Here is the answer from a very good friend of mine that has been a Steakhouse server for many years.

Server: This is the reality, my salary is 1140. $ a month without tips, a cook has 800- 1000$ a month. If we serve 2 pax a night or 100 there is no difference because we do not have a percentage of the 35. If it were true as ccl is saying that tips are included it would fluctuate month to month, right? So the additional tips are split evenly between server cooks dishwasher. Other company is giving percent of cover for servers so there u can really say it is included! Would I stay away from family and real life from home for 7000$ a year? Ironically I am, for 10000. My friends are working regular jobs, and go back at home in the evening to their kids and dog.

Server : Well the tips are not included at all although the company promotes it that way !!! We get the salary and from the extra tip that guest leave us. Extra tips go to servers and the cooks. I don't know to tell you exactly how many people total since it is not the same on every ship.

I know they say that the tip is included in the $35 Steakhouse charge or the $75 Chefs Table and as you know I always add more, but would you please tell me how much of that $35 or $75 goes to the tip, and how many share in it, is it just the servers or also the cooks.

Here is the answer from a very good friend of mine that has been a Steakhouse server for many years.

Server: This is the reality, my salary is 1140. $ a month without tips, a cook has 800- 1000$ a month. If we serve 2 pax a night or 100 there is no difference because we do not have a percentage of the 35. If it were true as ccl is saying that tips are included it would fluctuate month to month, right? So the additional tips are split evenly between server cooks dishwasher. Other company is giving percent of cover for servers so there u can really say it is included! Would I stay away from family and real life from home for 7000$ a year? Ironically I am, for 10000. My friends are working regular jobs, and go back at home in the evening to their kids and dog.

Server : Well the tips are not included at all although the company promotes it that way !!! We get the salary and from the extra tip that guest leave us. Extra tips go to servers and the cooks. I don't know to tell you exactly how many people total since it is not the same on every ship.

They have always said that tips were included in steakhouse and chef table charges but encouraged us to tip extra. They would never tell us how much of a tip was included either.

Pretty sneaky to suddenly add 15% to chefs table for tips.

That would really make you tip less for great service? And not even a wee bit ruffled? Lol

Ok maybe a little ruffled but I did sleep well last night:)

They have always said that tips were included in steakhouse and chef table charges but encouraged us to tip extra. They would never tell us how much of a tip was included either.

Pretty sneaky to suddenly add 15% to chefs table for tips.

I agree

Like the above poster said. It will save me at least 5% if not more,

Edited by Bases5

Agree. We always assumed there was a 15% tip included in the price and would additional according to service.

Agree. We always assumed there was a 15% tip included in the price and would additional according to service.

Always bothered me that they would say tip was included in the price but refuse to tell us how much of a tip was there but encourage us to tip additionally.