Chef Table extra 15%?

Bases5

Just got home and did Chefs Table, did not sign anything at the end of the evening. We did get a letter telling us what night it would be and that there would be an automatic 15% charge added for the tip. All of it was through the Steakhouse.

I read this is another post that had nothing to do about tipping.

Only 1 person stated it at the time.

The 15% was not there on our June Breeze cruise for the CT.

So yes I did start a post asking if anyone else had seen this?

I looked on carnival's site first and found nothing. ( someone did post a link after) Thanks

You have been on this board a long time and know people post random and false stuff all the time.

If this subject has been discussed over and over like many subjects then I apologize for starting the thread.

It was the first time I heard of it.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for starting this thread. Was not aware of them adding the 15% before

Didn't do it before, certainly won't do it now. There are plenty of good eats included in the cruise fare.

I would consider it more of an excursion for foodies than a specialty restaurant dinner. On land these can cost you $200+/pp easy, so it's really a great deal if you're into that kind of thing. Because there is nothing skimped on the food or service.

I would consider it more of an excursion for foodies than a specialty restaurant dinner. On land these can cost you $200+/pp easy, so it's really a great deal if you're into that kind of thing. Because there is nothing skimped on the food or service.

While we enjoy a good meal and wine, I wouldn't consider us "foodies," so it probably isn't our thing. We've been to the Steakhouse, which was great, but this is a bit too much for us.

Edited by VASOXFANN

I also always did 20%. They would not have to make it mandatory if so many people were not so cheap and not tip. I will still add a little bit when I am at the chefs table in September. I am glad they put the 15% to cover those who were not tipping:eek:

There are cheap people, but there are also people from countries where it is not the norm to tip. These people often don't.

Ok maybe a little ruffled but I did sleep well last night:)

[/color]

I agree

Like the above poster said. It will save me at least 5% if not more,

Same for us as we always added 20% to the bill when presented.

Did you not think you should have to tip?

I've heard people that don't get out of their house much actually ask if they were supposed to or not on our last cruise.

Takes the guesswork out. I can't even imagine a chef's table experience that didn't warrant at least 15%, so I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled over it, IMHO.

Exactly, I always added 20% so for me this is a discount.

Me too. I usually just rounded up to $100...which is still a deal if you ask me. :)

I was surprised when we didn't receive the check at the end of Chef's Table on my April cruise on the Pride and was told that they automatically just charged the S&S.

No almost $200 for a dinner for 2 people. No I can not.

no worries, i can't rationalize it either, especially when there are so many good things to eat that don't cost extra.

Being able to rationalize it is irrelevant. If the cuisine, service and experience isn't of interest, then its not your thing.

It's much more than a "dinner" and referring to it as such explains the perspective that it's not worthwhile.

For those with an interest (and for those who have experienced it and would do so again), it's thoroughly enjoyable.

you need to learn your math, 150 + 23 is 173, which is closer to 150 than 173 is to 200, duh.

except when rounding prices as information to others you always round up instead of down so the person going doesn't come with too little money.

duh. ;)

But remember this is on top of a very nice meal in the DR that you have already paid for and tipped on