It would seem all the cutbacks are working.....

jeffregpuck

That's one of the reasons I have travel insurance.

And a good reason to NOT buy it from the cruise line. In many cases the "house" insurance doesn't cover financial insolvency by the cruise line, where insurance you buy independently may cover it (you have to check).

Was it Renaissance that left people stranded in a port city when they folded?

And a good reason to NOT buy it from the cruise line. In many cases the "house" insurance doesn't cover financial insolvency by the cruise line, where insurance you buy independently may cover it (you have to check).

Yes ---Some crew for quite a while before they got help to get home !!!

Edited by swedish weave

Wasn't that 15 years ago? Has there been a major cruise line (I wouldn't call Renaissance a major cruise line) that has gone out of business since Renaissance did? Edited by NLH Arizona

Exactly. I would never buy it through the cruise line and ours has always covered financial default of the cruise line.

Wasn't that 15 years ago? Has there been a major cruise line (I wouldn't call Renaissance a major cruise line) that has gone out of business since Renaissance did?

Yep, right after 9/11 ... http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2001-09-26/news/0109260177_1_renaissance-cruises-future-cruises-cruise-line-folds

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises had a "labor dispute" issue in 2007 that stranded passengers: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB118766046332903701 I think they went bankrupt shortly after that, but they could hardly be called a "major" cruise line. I don't recall any others.

Yep, right after 9/11 ... http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2001-09-26/news/0109260177_1_renaissance-cruises-future-cruises-cruise-line-folds

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises had a "labor dispute" issue in 2007 that stranded passengers: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB118766046332903701 I think they went bankrupt shortly after that, but they could hardly be called a "major" cruise line. I don't recall any others.

Wonder why there was no worries when Mr. Sheehan brought all that debt on and only when Mr. Del Rio made some changes that some didn't like.

The lines with one star went bankrupt and the two stars indicate those that were absorbed by other lines since 1972. The current trend seems to be consolidation rather than bankruptcy. Others that are not on this list have been absorbed by other cruise lines such as Carnival and Royal.

1. Regency Cruise Line *

2. Regal Cruise line

3. Bermuda Star line **

4. Commodore Cruises *

5. Premier Cruise line *

6. Sitmar **

7. Norwegian America Cruises **

8.Royal Viking Line **

Wonder why there was no worries when Mr. Sheehan brought all that debt on and only when Mr. Del Rio made some changes that some didn't like.

The cruise line was operating under the direction of Apollo and Genting. Most of the decisions were not made by Sheehan.

Here's the pattern: Make lots of cuts to maximize profitability. The short term gains allow you to hit your performance bonuses. However, the long term affects are damaging. Eventually you sink the company, but it doesn't matter since you leave with a golden parachute. Worked for the CEOs of HP.

Couldn't have said it better myself.