It would seem all the cutbacks are working.....

jeffregpuck

There seems to be quite the discrepancy between two other top cruise lines and NCL's executive compensation.

So don't invest in them? It has zero bearing on my decision to cruise with them. All executive pay is grossly overpaid, but I'm not going to fix that as a passenger and neither are you.

Another reason why everyone should hold their own and move to another cruise line. Or stay here and be nickel and dimed just so the top can make more. It's obvious that customers don't come first with NCL

Then explain why their ships mostly go out full?

who cares what the CEO or any other top personal makes? Most major corporations give their top the best they can and yes, we have to live with this.

Check the stock on all 3 major mass marketed lines: when one goes up so do the other 2 and visa versa. Not any are doing much better or much worse. I check it every morning. Once in awhile one company will show a bigger increase or decrease.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Exactly !! I live in Ontario Canada & if you hold a Public Sector job & make over 100K a year it's published .... Just the other day a friend of mine who works for the county as a superintendent saw they were short with holidays so he was helping out cutting grass & I had several people say "he gets paid over 100K to cut grass"

Just a bunch of jealous fools sticking their nose where it doesn't belong!

I don't mind you disputing the FACTS and FIGURES I posted, but I don't understand your need to make personal disparaging remarks at me personally. What is YOUR problem with FACTS?

If you can't handle the truth, I suggest you don't read my posts.

LMAO. done!

People need to worry about themselves and not the salaries of others. If a company wants to pay their CEO x amount of money so be it. That's their choice not your and none of our business.

I never understood the fascination with someone's salary. Who cares!

I don't care what they make because I have no control over it. On an entirely different note I do have a problem at my not for profit employer where the top execs make more than $1,000,000 / year (and some over $2,000,000) and yet we have "Angel Trees" for employees' children....

I find that disgusting. Unfortunately my job is pretty specialized so options to quit are slim, plus I am providing my community a valuable service in spite of it...

Edited by Medtech2

NCLH 12 month high $64.10 (10/28/15). Today's close $41.69. That is a massive 36% deviation in stock price.

It seems "the cutbacks" aren't working for the stockholders.

Looks like RCCL is in the same boat. December 2015 high $101.21 and closed today at $73.04.

I actually couldn't care less what any executive of a company makes IF it is commensurate with industry standards (doesn't seem to be the case here), AND if the main focus is still on the customer and customer and employee satisfaction (which also doesn't seem to be the case here).

There is a reason that NCL is becoming known as the "nickel and dime" line, and it's because the cruise line is making a LOT of changes FAST and all of those changes affect passenger cash outlay just to have a similar experience to previous cruises.

Of course the only ones who notice are those of us who have traveled with NCL for a while. New cruisers don't know the difference...it just is what it is. Folks will say that if it matters that much then don't cruise with NCL (many are actually doing this). Or they may say change is inevitable so get over it. Of course I think most of the people on here are perfectly fine with gradual price increases...that is certainly to be expected....but what has been happening is changing the cruise experience for many.

I actually posted this because a former employee of NCL (who is my friend) posted it on Facebook. The crew seems to be getting less, while the CEO is reaping the rewards.

I'm not one of the ones who will stop sailing with NCL because of any of the specific changes thus far, but I won't necessarily make it my "go to" anymore.

Sorry for those of you who were offended....at least now I know what we are supposed to be offended by today......

Edited by jeffregpuck

I actually couldn't care less what any executive of a company makes IF it is commensurate with industry standards (doesn't seem to be the case here), AND if the main focus is still on the customer and customer and employee satisfaction (which also doesn't seem to be the case here).

There is a reason that NCL is becoming known as the "nickel and dime" line, and it's because the cruise line is making a LOT of changes FAST and all of those changes affect passenger cash outlay just to have a similar experience to previous cruises.

Of course the only ones who notice are those of us who have traveled with NCL for a while. New cruisers don't know the difference...it just is what it is. Folks will say that if it matters that much then don't cruise with NCL (many are actually doing this). Or they may say change is inevitable so get over it. Of course I think most of the people on here are perfectly fine with gradual price increases...that is certainly to be expected....but what has been happening is changing the cruise experience for many.

I actually posted this because a former employee of NCL (who is my friend) posted it on Facebook. The crew seems to be getting less, while the CEO is reaping the rewards.

I'm not one of the ones who will stop sailing with NCL because of any of the specific changes thus far, but I won't necessarily make it my "go to" anymore.

Sorry for those of you who were offended....at least now I know what we are supposed to be offended by today......

Actually his compensation for 2015 is lower then that for RCL and CCL when measured as money received (and stock that can be sold) in 2015. It will be several years before it rises to parity and that will require the stock to perform. If NCLH continues to make stock awards to replace those that mature he will reach parity (not considering the options) in 4-5 years if he is still in the position.

The stock award vests over a period (probably 5 years), the options are exactly that options that may or may not pay off. You only see the refresh award for CCL and RCL in the last three years because those CEOs have been there longer.

Sheehan was CEO of Norwegian. They purchased Prestige, which is where FDR was CEO. So, technically, FDR worked for Sheehan. If you can force out your boss, that's pretty good.

It happens more often than you would think. Both had bosses on the Board.

Sheehan also got a few million ++ for leaving, and got out around the time NCLH went public with the balance sheet showing all the debt he incurred. It was good timing on his part.

It happens more often than you would think. Both had bosses on the Board.

Sheehan also got a few million ++ for leaving, and got out around the time NCLH went public with the balance sheet showing all the debt he incurred. It was good timing on his part.

if I recall correctly the Apollo Group had a substantial interest in both companies and I believe that they were the drivers for Prestige being acquired by NLCH. Several of the current board members are from Apollo. I suspect that the Apollo Group is the primary driver of Sheehan being replaced by FDR

Another reason why everyone should hold their own and move to another cruise line. Or stay here and be nickel and dimed just so the top can make more. It's obvious that customers don't come first with NCL

Do you check the salaries of the CEO for every product you purchase? Hotels? Cars? Appliances? I'm betting not. Why should this be any different? What the CEO of NCL makes, or how much their stock is selling for, or how much debt/equity they have, has no place in my decision to sail with NCL or not. I am not investing in their company, I am purchasing their product. On purchases like this, I compare that product to other products that meet the wants I am looking for. I then narrow my choices down based on my wants and budget and choose the one that appeals to me, the consumer, the most. I personally do not get nickeled and dimed any more on NCL than I do on any other cruise line (and I do sail other cruise lines). NCL does give me more choices in many instances, some of them included and some of them for a fee. But it is still my choice to spend those nickels and dimes if I so choose.

I am paying the same pp/pd for my NCL cruise next year as I did for our Ruby Princess cruise a couple years ago. But I am also getting this that I did not get on our Princess cruise: UBP, SDP with 4 meals, and more entertainment and food options (fee and included). Plus we had a FCC to use on NCL. These 2 cruises are the most we have paid for our cruises since our first 2 cruises on Disney where we paid for the "Disney Experience" with 2 small children. Most of the time we pay less and don't expect as much in return, we are usually pleasantly surprised when reality exceeds expectations. Sometimes we pay more and expect more in return. So far only Princess let us down in that regard. We have paid more for our NCL cruises than we have our CCL cruises pp/pd, but we were paying for things the Carnival ships couldn't offer us that NCL could on our want list for those vacations. It is not always strictly about the best budget buy, sometimes it is about choosing what you want to spend your money on within your budget. It is ultimately up to you where you spend your nickels and dimes. Mine will be going to Carnival this year and NCL next year :D.

Do you check the salaries of the CEO for every product you purchase? Hotels? Cars? Appliances? I'm betting not. Why should this be any different? What the CEO of NCL makes, or how much their stock is selling for, or how much debt/equity they have, has no place in my decision to sail with NCL or not. I am not investing in their company, I am purchasing their product. On purchases like this, I compare that product to other products that meet the wants I am looking for. I then narrow my choices down based on my wants and budget and choose the one that appeals to me, the consumer, the most. I personally do not get nickeled and dimed any more on NCL than I do on any other cruise line (and I do sail other cruise lines). NCL does give me more choices in many instances, some of them included and some of them for a fee. But it is still my choice to spend those nickels and dimes if I so choose.

I am paying the same pp/pd for my NCL cruise next year as I did for our Ruby Princess cruise a couple years ago. But I am also getting this that I did not get on our Princess cruise: UBP, SDP with 4 meals, and more entertainment and food options (fee and included). Plus we had a FCC to use on NCL. These 2 cruises are the most we have paid for our cruises since our first 2 cruises on Disney where we paid for the "Disney Experience" with 2 small children. Most of the time we pay less and don't expect as much in return, we are usually pleasantly surprised when reality exceeds expectations. Sometimes we pay more and expect more in return. So far only Princess let us down in that regard. We have paid more for our NCL cruises than we have our CCL cruises pp/pd, but we were paying for things the Carnival ships couldn't offer us that NCL could on our want list for those vacations. It is not always strictly about the best budget buy, sometimes it is about choosing what you want to spend your money on within your budget. It is ultimately up to you where you spend your nickels and dimes. Mine will be going to Carnival this year and NCL next year :D.

If you ever sail on a cruise line that goes out of business while you are on the cruise (as I have), the financial condition of the cruise lines will take on a whole new meaning for you.

It serves to adjust your priorities a lot.

Actually his compensation for 2015 is lower then that for RCL and CCL when measured as money received (and stock that can be sold) in 2015. It will be several years before it rises to parity and that will require the stock to perform. If NCLH continues to make stock awards to replace those that mature he will reach parity (not considering the options) in 4-5 years if he is still in the position.

The stock award vests over a period (probably 5 years), the options are exactly that options that may or may not pay off. You only see the refresh award for CCL and RCL in the last three years because those CEOs have been there longer.

FDR took Renaissance to the brink of failure and left a few months before the company failed. He and a partner invested about 18 million and leased some of the ships from the failed company to start up Oceania. They accumulated a lot of debt and sold their interests to Apollo in 2008. Apollo engineered the sale to NCL who absorbed over two and a half BILLION in debt from the combined Oceania and Regent (named Prestige). That transaction caused a disruption on the board and Apollo gained control of the NCLH board.

Some of the major investors started reducing their exposure by selling their shares.

All of the rhetoric and figures are fluff and time will tell how this all plays out.

Some of you don't care, but some of us have some friends who work for NCL and are concerned about their future, so we do care.

If you ever sail on a cruise line that goes out of business while you are on the cruise (as I have), the financial condition of the cruise lines will take on a whole new meaning for you.

It serves to adjust your priorities a lot.

That's one of the reasons I have travel insurance.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Can I ask what happened to you Swedish Weave?

We were without air conditioning and some of the food spoiled enroute. The cooks hadn't been paid so they refused to dish up the food. The waiters were very cooperative because they knew they would get tips, so they suggested what to order and they dished and served the meals for us.

The ship was damaged in the Panama canal and we spent two days in Cristobal while they welded a patch on the ship to get us to Florida.

We were delayed arriving Panama because of a medical emergency and since the cruise line couldn't get helicoptor service , we turned around South of Puntarenas and went back to offload the person.

The ship had just come down from Alaska and they had a fire onboard that plugged up the air ducts. We didn't get advance notice of this so we slept outside on deck chairs two nights due to the inability to adjust the temperature in the cabin.

Several other incidents happened before we were told about the extent of the problem.

We arrived in Florida a day late even after missing the ports on the Caribbean side, and thanks to our TA, we were able to get our flights back to Calif changed.

I had terrible chest congestion but survived that ordeal.

I hope that explains my desire to know all I can learn about the financial condition of the lines I book. I need to know more than the anticipated personal pleasures I get from a cruise.