Alternatives to driving or flying to San Francisco.

I live in the North Sacramento valley. In past embarkations in SF I have just gotten a ride or parked in the city garage at Ace. Has any of you from Sacramento with all of your luggage in tow:

1) Bussed to Vallejo then ferry to the Embarcadero?

2) Bussed to Bart (Subway) then rode Bart to the Embarcadero?

3) Rode the train to the Embarcadero from Sacramento?

4) Bus all the way from Sacramento to the Embarcadero?

5) Come up with a better super secret plan of your own that you will share with me. I wont tell anyone.

Any help is appreciated.

I live in the North Sacramento valley. In past embarkations in SF I have just gotten a ride or parked in the city garage at Ace. Has any of you from Sacramento with all of your luggage in tow:

1) Bussed to Vallejo then ferry to the Embarcadero?

2) Bussed to Bart (Subway) then rode Bart to the Embarcadero?

3) Rode the train to the Embarcadero from Sacramento?

4) Bus all the way from Sacramento to the Embarcadero?

5) Come up with a better super secret plan of your own that you will share with me. I wont tell anyone.

Any help is appreciated.

I don't have a clue about transportation other then the car.

But: Frankly, I'm suspect to choice #5. Anyone that would come on CC to swear they won't tell, well let's just say buddy, you are a little suspect. I'm guessing you remove the tips then pay in cash but short change everyone then come on here to recommend paying with gifts.

:D Sorry, couldn't resist. :D Anyone that would swear to keep a secret on CC has no credibility.

You do not give day of the week or where in the valley you live as that might help with some transit suggestions. The Capitol Corridor train intersects with BART in at least 2 locations so that might be an option. No trains except Caltrain from San Mateo and points south actually run into San Francisco. The main rail hub in the Bay Area is in Emeryville but that is not where Bart goes if you want to connect to it.

There is a temporary bus station in San Francisco around Howard St. & Fremont St. in the South-of-Market area near downtown. That is where the Amtrak bus will take you from Emeryville, and probably where the Greyhound will take you. Note that this location is not close to the cruise ship terminal, certainly not within walking distance with luggage, so you will need to take a cab from there. Also note that arrival via BART puts you at the Embarcadero station which is also a location that you will probably have to take a cab from to the cruise terminal. There are buses and a streetcar along the Embarcadero that take you to the cruise terminal, but it's a bit of a walk from BART or the temporary bus station. An alternative to Greyhound might be the Megabus, which is increasing its service on the West Coast. If you want to spend some money, look into hiring a car service that would take you door-to-door. If you have a lot of luggage, the complicated public transit options are quite difficult.

The schedule for the Amtrak buses that leave from Emeryville are designed so that they meet incoming trains. Any wait for the bus in Emeryville should be quite short. Amtrak had 4-5 SF stops, one of them being the Ferry Bldg. The Vallejo ferry also ends at the ferry bldg. (where else?). You will have trouble getting a cab in front of the Ferry Bldg but if you walk up Market St. one block to the front of the Hyatt Regency hotel you will find a line of taxis. The BART exit for the Embarcadero is directly across the street from the hotel, not at the Ferry Bldg.

You can catch a street car from the Ferry Bldg to the cruise terminal but they are usually standing room only and to fight that with luggage isn't worth it for most of us.

The ferry is a pleasant ride and parking is free but not sure if there is a time limit on parking.You can walk to the cruise terminal from the ferry bldg.-about a 15 min. walk-but it will depend on how much luggage you have.

We also live in Sacramento and are thinking about taking Amtrak to SF for a cruise. You can take the train to Emeryville and then a bus to the Ferry Terminal. Please let us know what you decide to do and how it goes. Thanks.