Itinerary help

jolly_cruiser

Experienced HAL cruisers,

I am looking to book a cruise on Holland America for the first time in 2017.

I have narrowed my choices to the two cruises below.

Please let me know which of the itinerary below are better?

We are two adults ( mid forties ) and a child who is 7.

We are certain we want to do one of the two below cruises to Norway but cannot decide about the itinerary.

Which one has the better ports?

Any thoughts on the new Koningsdam ship are appreciated as well.Everything i have seen so far about the ship has been positive.

Holland/Koningsdam June 25 2017

Roundtrip Amsterdam – 7 Nights

Ports: Flam, Sognefjord, Stavenger, Kristiansand, Oslo

Holland/Koningsdam July 2 2017

Roundtrip Amsterdam – 7 Nights

Ports: Eldfjord, Hardengerfjord, Alesund, Geiranger, Bergen

Thanks in Advance for all the feedback.

I've been to all of these ports, most of them multiple times. Each itinerary has a mix of very small towns and larger cities, with many things to do. Each has some magnificent scenic cruising. So, now it becomes a matter of what things you want to do, especially in the various larger cities.

You really can't go wrong with either itinerary, so it comes down to flip a coin.

I'm serious---unless you can do both itineraries on the same trip. That would be ideal.

Having been to all of those ports like Ruth C, I have to agree with her. You will not regret either one.

However, Stavanger has an excellent petroleum museum which your 7-year old might enjoy. It is very hands-on with interesting displays. It primarily focuses on the how the oil-rig industry developed in the North Sea off the Norwegian coast.

You might want to Google the port/city of each itinerary as far as attractions and try to decide which suits you best.

Hope this helps a bit and that you will have a wonderful cruise!

Do you like to walk and get out into nature - Olso is a very walkable city and if this might be your one trip to this part of the world I would be sure to see Oslo.

Stavanger is where one can take the infamous Pulpit Rock hike, if you want to try this once in a life time adventure. Explore your fitness level and if you want to take your child on this one - port day programs for children -- I don't know.

Flam allows you to take a ferry to Bornholm Island which again allows some wonderful country side walks and great danish pastries in the historic part of the little town where the ferry comes in.

Kristiansand doesn't have too much but a very pleasant small town and fish market and a rather famous elegant McDonalds - a minor stop. But you get to see a small resort town in a Nordic country.

This is the one I would pick, but like others say they are both good. Just a bit different. You can't lose. And since their is no guarantee for weather in Norway, you might pick one for the fiords and not be able to see anything anyway.

Have fun - I think you will love either of them. This is a very great and very accessible part of the world and you can pace yourself any way you want.

I agree that it really is a flip of the coin, but I am going to recommend July 2nd cruise. Geiranger, Alesund and Bergen are my favorite Norwegian ports of call. If you are lucky to have a sunny day in Geiranger, you will not want to leave. It is one of the prettiest of the Norwegian fjords. And there is a HOHO bus that will take you to a viewpoint overlooking the fjord plus take you up Eagles Road for a fraction of the cost of a HAL tour. Also, there is a wonderful walk to the waterfalls in Geiranger. And there are stairs that you can climb to reach the top of the waterfall.

Bergen and Alesund are the most beautiful of the Norwegian towns. There are HOHO's in both, but I would just recommend walking around and taking in the sights. Though, you might want the HOH to take you to the top of the peak overlooking Alesund, which is a beautiful sight on a wet or sunny day day-Alesund spread out before you with the surrounding snow covered mountains. Have been to Alesund three times and I loved each visit.

Eidfjord also has inexpensive sightseeing options and is lovely to walk around. You have an opportunity to see an actual Viking grave site (huge rocks piled up in a mound).

I agree that it really is a flip of the coin, but I am going to recommend July 2nd cruise. Geiranger, Alesund and Bergen are my favorite Norwegian ports of call. If you are lucky to have a sunny day in Geiranger, you will not want to leave. It is one of the prettiest of the Norwegian fjords. And there is a HOHO bus that will take you to a viewpoint overlooking the fjord plus take you up Eagles Road for a fraction of the cost of a HAL tour. Also, there is a wonderful walk to the waterfalls in Geiranger. And there are stairs that you can climb to reach the top of the waterfall.

Bergen and Alesund are the most beautiful of the Norwegian towns. There are HOHO's in both, but I would just recommend walking around and taking in the sights. Though, you might want the HOH to take you to the top of the peak overlooking Alesund, which is a beautiful sight on a wet or sunny day day-Alesund spread out before you with the surrounding snow covered mountains. Have been to Alesund three times and I loved each visit.

Eidfjord also has inexpensive sightseeing options and is lovely to walk around. You have an opportunity to see an actual Viking grave site (huge rocks piled up in a mound).

I fully agree. For a first trip to Norway the Geiranger fjord simply is a must. Taking the public bus up to Mt.Dalsnibba gives you some of the most beautiful sights we have seen in Norway - if the weather is fine, of course.

Bergen and Alesund really belong to the most beautiful cities in Norway, easiliy walkable, HoHo buses for an easy get-around, super museums for rainy days ( also interesting for a kid).

Eidfjord has a beautiful fjord to cruise through as well and is a cute village. There's a public bus with photo stops along the way that reaches a waterfall - very interesting.

Best solution of course - try for a 12 or 14 nights cruise if that's possible for you.