Visiting Turkey

It is my understanding that RCCL had two ships scheduled to visit Turkey over the last couple of days and during the next couple of days. I would love to hear feedback from people who went as to whether or not they felt save in Kudasi or Bodrum and/or did lots of people just elect not to get off the ship. What is the word on the ship??? I am scheduled on the upcoming Celebrity Reflection cruise that is still planning to come to Turkey. Would love to hear some input from people who are there now.

It is my understanding that RCCL had two ships scheduled to visit Turkey over the last couple of days and during the next couple of days. I would love to hear feedback from people who went as to whether or not they felt save in Kudasi or Bodrum and/or did lots of people just elect not to get off the ship. What is the word on the ship??? I am scheduled on the upcoming Celebrity Reflection cruise that is still planning to come to Turkey. Would love to hear some input from people who are there now.

We were on the Reflection in May and stopped at Kusadasi and Bodrum. They were absolutely stunning ports and we had zero worry about any safety issues. If people stayed on board, they missed stunning stops. Many, many, if not most passengers got off the ship. There was never anything that we worried about -- or even thought about worrying about safety-wise.

We spent several days in Istanbul a few weeks ago. I posted pictures and how to spend your time safely, on my family blog.....take a peek if you like.

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/2016/07/ancient-istanbuloh-what-time-we-had.html

This was just before the Coup, and we felt safe at that time.

Go between Coups if you can.

No, seriously, Turkey is great, if things have settled down politically. However, Turkey will still be a possible target for ISIS. Still, if I wanted to go to Turkey (I have been there twice), I would go.

Go between Coups if you can.

No, seriously, Turkey is great, if things have settled down politically. However, Turkey will still be a possible target for ISIS. Still, if I wanted to go to Turkey (I have been there twice), I would go.

That's a good one!

I have traveled the world to include the middle east and Africa. I Have been to turkey as well. I would be the first one to post about stop being scared of the world and traveling....

With that said....

I wouldnt go near turkey right now. Its a funnel for the geopolitical issues in the region and now its in serious political straits... the coup was put down but the aftermath is in full swing and could trigger another push back.

That and the heavy level of ISIS in the region, Going to Iraq is only worse right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Homicide rate in Iraq is 8.0, Jamaica ( where lots of cruise ships stop) it is 36 (Turkey on that list is at 2.6).

Yes, but a war is going on in Iraq and you would have to wonder who is keeping the stats.

However, it is a good point, there are places in Central America and the Caribbean with high crime rates. I understand that the US Virgin Islands have a not so great crime rate, but I have been there twice and it did not seem to be a problem. Guess that I didn't go where the killing was going on.

Was in kusadasi at the end of April on the Oosterdam. At that time it was one of the best protected ports we stopped in. The people there truly want tourists and especially Americans ---I would guess mostly for money but either way they hate what terrorists have done to their country and tourism. The coup is a different story but I would think security will be just as tight or tighter. If your ship stops and you don't get off you missed a fantastic site.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Homicide rate in Iraq is 8.0, Jamaica ( where lots of cruise ships stop) it is 36 (Turkey on that list is at 2.6).

Not talking about homicide rates. I am talking about how the nation is a gateway and avenue of ISIS flowing from east to west, and then combined that with the recent coup and now post coup violence.... I wouldn't go there. Over half of the population supports a religious based government. Secular Democracy Turkey died a few weeks ago.

Over 10,000 judges, lawyers, military officers, government officials, etc.... all arrested in the last 2 weeks. Social media is turned off.

The PPK (Kurds) are attacking from the south, and border skirmishes are daily.

Its not about murder rates found on the internet...its about geopolitics.

Edited by Deptacon

I thought it was about the general safety environment since most cruisers don't care about geopolitics.

Biker, who thinks the average cruiser would feel safer in a Turkish port than the rougher sections of Chicago.

I thought it was about the general safety environment since most cruisers don't care about geopolitics.

Biker, who thinks the average cruiser would feel safer in a Turkish port than the rougher sections of Chicago.

Hey!! Don't talk about my hometown like that!! ;)

Sadly, you are pretty spot on. Lately you can get shot at just by driving down the expressway :mad: Unfortunately my boss does not consider that good enough reason to not get to work!