Anyone sail on BA post 7/15 water policy?

We sailed on the Getaway on 7/17. I didn't see anyone attempting to bring soda or water on board at the terminal (at least not blatantly obvious). We did see people getting back onboard with a bottled water and nothing was said to them but again didn't see anyone attempt more than that. We took a Brita pitcher and it worked out great in case you don't want to take any chances.

Either you haven't read any of the posts on this topic by people like me who can't handle the high sodium content and/or added chlorine in the free water. Or you're stirring the pot.

The ships water does not have a high sodium content, the ships food might but the water does not. They processes they use to desalinate it does exactly that removes the sodium\ as well as the other minerals. You might have an issue with chlorine, but there are plenty of small filters for that or for that matter just let it sit in a pitcher for a few hours.

Edited by RDC1

The ships water does not have a high sodium content, the ships food might but the water does not. They processes they use to desalinate it does exactly that removes the sodium\ as well as the other minerals. You might have an issue with chlorine, but there are plenty of small filters for that or for that matter just let it sit in a pitcher for a few hours.

The process they use to desalinate does not remove all of the sodium, only enough to make the water potable.

The process they use to desalinate does not remove all of the sodium, only enough to make the water potable.

They use two methods. Both remove all of the salt. One is pressurized steam distillation and the other is reverse osmosis. Both remove virtually all of the salt, along with other minerals. The process basically ends with distilled water. They then actually have to harden it a bit from running through a calcium bed to reduce the aggressive nature of distilled water.

You will find more sodium in your bottled water then in what the ship produces.

They use two methods. Both remove all of the salt. One is pressurized steam distillation and the other is reverse osmosis. Both remove virtually all of the salt, along with other minerals. The process basically ends with distilled water. They then actually have to harden it a bit from running through a calcium bed to reduce the aggressive nature of distilled water.

You may provide as much information as you want about how the ship treats the drinking water, but some folks just want what they want and would rather complain than do anything about it.

After the porters wouldn't take my case of water and I had to lug the thing myself, I bought two Brita filter bottles and they worked fine. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually most of the water is shore water bunkered at trusted ports. They only make their own water when absolutely necessary. So you get the salts and minerals and chlorine and other undesirable bits from the bulk water sources that service the ports of call.

You may provide as much information as you want about how the ship treats the drinking water, but some folks just want what they want and would rather complain than do anything about it.

After the porters wouldn't take my case of water and I had to lug the thing myself, I bought two Brita filter bottles and they worked fine. Problem solved for me.

Fixed it for you, since I'm sure that's what you meant.

Filters do not solve everyone's issues with the ship's water. Yes, I've tried. Unless NCL has some unique system for processing their water, I have no reason to believe the taste will be any better on NCL than on any other ship.

Swedish ... Good question raised, I take it with a few grains of salt (sodium) on those expert CC responses about the ship's filtration process and its water coming out of faucet, the same plumbing lines for flushing toilets, etc. and will just have to trust that the reverse backflow values, etc. are working & checked/inspected ... and those few reported instances of colored water flowing freeing out of the drinking faucet were just unintentional. I can't say loving :rolleyes: it when CC members here "claimed" :eek: as to how good ship's water are ...

DW is old school and will drink boiled (municipal tap) water after it's filtered by Brita at home, or, go for bottled Poland Spring water usually. Not given a choice, she will settled for Aquafina as long as it's (and remain as) complimentary with CAS drink card on the ship - not a chance that we will pay those exceptionally convenience prices now charged, however.

Flint, Michigan's water crisis is not the only municipal plumbing system with problems, but then, I'm going off-topic.

Back on topic, more or less, we typically pack 2 or 3 larger bottles in our checked luggage as part of embarkation; and, never run into issues at the pier or get called to the naughty room to open it for inspection - we just don't drink enough of it to warrant bringing a full case.

Edited by mking8288

I know there's been like a billion threads here about this, but what is the option for water on board? Bring a refillable water bottle and get it out of the tap? Does the UBP include bottled water?

Your options are to drink the ship's water from the buffet, a bar, or your faucet or buy water on board (at very high prices). UBP does not include bottled water.

Actually most of the water is shore water bunkered at trusted ports. They only make their own water when absolutely necessary. So you get the salts and minerals and chlorine and other undesirable bits from the bulk water sources that service the ports of call.

The modern cruise ships can make a lot of desalinated water. The Grand Princess for example has storage tank capacity of 500,000 gallons for water.

https://plantaspurificadoras65.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/how-cruise-ships-make-fresh-water/

I have obtained a Brita , Pur, and Zero pitchers with extra filters and am trying to decide which I will take on my next cruise. Any suggestions ??

Edited by swedish weave

The modern cruise ships can make a lot of desalinated water. The Grand Princess for example has storage tank capacity of 500,000 gallons for water

Cost money to run and maintain the water plants. Just because they can desalinate doesn't mean that they do.

Princess, for example: "Fresh water comes from two different sources: produced water (seawater that is either evaporated and re-condensed or produced by a reverse osmosis plant and treated with minerals and chlorine); or bunkered water, which is purchased from port communities and stored in designated potable water holding tanks. We bunker water from ports where we know water is plentiful, high in quality and costs less than the fuel needed to produce water onboard."

Edited by BirdTravels

Most ships can only store enough bunkered water for less than a day of standard use. It's mostly alaska and the med itineraries where you see more bunkered than produced (also for discharge reasons).

That said, bunkered water is typically from a municipal supply, which means, again, no salt as its either processed fresh water or desalinated salt water.

The plain and simple fact is - with a properly used and maintained system there will be no more than trace sodium in the water, and it is perfectly safe to drink. Obviously issues occur with plumbing, just as they do in your house, when that happens the ship will need to provide alternatives until that is resolved.

Actually most water is not bunkered. There is a fellow that posts on CC that works on the ships. He went through the water processes in depth. As part of that discussion he indicated that while ships might bunker water it is actually the last resort. Their preferred ways for getting water are:

1. Pressurized distillation using waste heat from the engines (pretty much free a little electricity to pump and pressurize).

2. Reverse Osmosis. Does use some electricity for pumping the water through the filters and some cost for replacement of filters, but pretty low in cost.

3. Getting water from shore. Fairly expensive and time consuming. They have to certify the water source, they have to pay for the water, they have to hold the water in isolation until the actual water received is tested (takes about 24 hours).

The will use two if they are cruising at slow speed, with minimal engines running.

They will use 3 if they have to, such as on a port intensive cruise, where they do not spend enough time out of port and away from shore to make sufficient water. But they do it as seldom as possible.

Costs for 1 and 2, including maintenance costs are fair less then the cost of get water from shore. Very few locations meet the comment of costs less then making it on board. Maybe if the port supplies it for free.

Edited by RDC1

Leaving on 8/7 and still pretty annoyed about this new policy. Has anyone sailed on the Breakaway out of NYC after 7/15 and brought (or tried to bring) on beverages (water, soda, etc.)?

Wondering if I should just chance it and bring the case of water...

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Geez above is the OP's post how did we get so off topic:rolleyes:

Costs for 1 and 2, including maintenance costs are fair less then the cost of get water from shore. Very few locations meet the comment of costs less then making it on board. Maybe if the port supplies it for free.

We were on a private behind the scenes tour of the engine control room on the Sky a few months back. The Chief said that they never run their water plants (sky does 3 and 4 nights out of Miami). Cheaper and easier to bunker water. Just a data point. Said that NCL ships out of Miami bunker water (didn't get down to how many days of water they bunker). Just said that he bunkers 100% of his water from shore sources.

I am curious too! Leaving on 8/14, and the hubs LOVES his Arizona green tea. Was debating packing 4 bottles with our toiletries. Any info would be helpful! And on a side note, the bottles of Aquafina that they sell in the "water package" are at least a little each if not more, not the 16 ounce ones you get at home.

Liter, not little. ;)

I see you're new to posting to the forum. Just an FYI that you have about 20 minutes after you post where you can edit the post--you don't need to post a second time to correct something. If you see an error, just look down at the bottom right and if you're within the timeframe, there will be an "edit" button. :D

We were on a private behind the scenes tour of the engine control room on the Sky a few months back. The Chief said that they never run their water plants (sky does 3 and 4 nights out of Miami). Cheaper and easier to bunker water. Just a data point. Said that NCL ships out of Miami bunker water (didn't get down to how many days of water they bunker). Just said that he bunkers 100% of his water from shore sources.

Interesting, and glad to hear it about the Sky. While I am an ankle sweller, I have never been able to attribute it to the water, or the food for that matter. Honestly I think I just pull the salt out of the air at sea! At any rate, I will only bother with bottled water for convenience in port and sleep in my compression socks for my own comfort.