Anyone sail on BA post 7/15 water policy?

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note, how often do you wash out & clean your BPA-free plastic water bottles, read one of the latest study findings - might think twice & switch to a stainless steel one :eek: - nasty but drinking out of the toilet bow, if you agree with the findings.

http://www.9news.com.au/health/2016/08/13/15/31/refillable-water-bottles-could-be-as-dirty-as-pet-toys-website-claims

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3735889/How-plastic-water-bottle-harbouring-germs-DOG-BOWL.html

I'm guess that most read their cruise documents, that someone has said that they could not bring water or soda onboard, or if anyone tried it, they were probably embarrassed to admit it, since it is written on their cruise documents or folks were just blowing smoke when they posted that they were taking their water onboard and no one could stop them.

I can't imagine even trying it knowing it is not allowed. It amazes me how many people think the rules don't apply to them! It's ... low class. :cool:

I was on the Dawn 7-22/7-29 I didn't try to bring water on board, but while in Bermuda on the way back to the the I stoped at the drug store and got nail polish and also picked up 1 bottle of coke. When I tried to enter the ship I put my bag on the machine and they asked if I had soda and I said yes 1 bottle. He said I could either open it right then and drink it or leave it with them to dispose of. So there's your answer. On another note I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that people cannot bring water onboard anymore, but I have never swwn so many people filling up their nasty water bottles in the buffet. Talk about germs. NCL needs to watch more carefully and not allow this to happen. Although you would think people would be more considerate and not subject others to whatever it is they may or may not have. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant some people are.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just really don't understand this issue. I have a plastic water bottle with a removable top. The part I drink out of comes off and leaves a large opening for ice and refilling with water. Once I have unscrewed the "nasty mouth part" what is the problem with holding the bottle under the water or iced tea dispenser? No part of the bottle touches the spigot. I'm more worried about germs from other people's hands pushing the various drink buttons.

On my last cruise I dutifully filled a small glass over and over which always created a line behind me.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just really don't understand this issue. I have a plastic water bottle with a removable top. The part I drink out of comes off and leaves a large opening for ice and refilling with water. Once I have unscrewed the "nasty mouth part" what is the problem with holding the bottle under the water or iced tea dispenser? No part of the bottle touches the spigot. I'm more worried about germs from other people's hands pushing the various drink buttons.

On my last cruise I dutifully filled a small glass over and over which always created a line behind me.

Well, for one thing, it may be a USPH violation, regardless of the design of your water bottle. This is not a cruise line idea, it is mandated to them. Now, I say, it may be, because of a couple of things. One, is there a sign that states no refilling of glasses or bottles? If so, then the machine is considered by USPH to be a contact type dispenser, so no refilling allowed, and the lines have to abide by this so that when the inspectors come onboard and witness a meal service, the crew doesn't allow it out of habit. Non-contact type of dispensers, where your container is not used to depress a dispensing lever, are allowed by USPH to refill beverage containers. It is not only the spout that can transmit germs, but the sides of the container contacting the dispensing lever.

I'm going to pack a case of water (not 24 pack but smaller) and a few bottles of coke in a duffle bag and see what happens. I will let you know next Sunday how it turns out :) .. Since apparently no one has bothered to do this since 7/15

Cruising_baby

It has been 2 weeks since your cruise ended. You said you would let us know the results on August 7. What was your experience with trying to carry on water or did you decide to follow the rules?

Well, for one thing, it may be a USPH violation, regardless of the design of your water bottle. This is not a cruise line idea, it is mandated to them. Now, I say, it may be, because of a couple of things. One, is there a sign that states no refilling of glasses or bottles? If so, then the machine is considered by USPH to be a contact type dispenser, so no refilling allowed, and the lines have to abide by this so that when the inspectors come onboard and witness a meal service, the crew doesn't allow it out of habit. Non-contact type of dispensers, where your container is not used to depress a dispensing lever, are allowed by USPH to refill beverage containers. It is not only the spout that can transmit germs, but the sides of the container contacting the dispensing lever.

Thank you for explaining in a factual and undramatic way. I get it and I will follow the rules!

I just got back today. My cruise left 8/7. Anyways- put a 12 pack of water bottles in a duffle bag and it arrived safe and sound to my room ...

Also- you cannot refill bottles at the water dispensers. You can't even refill the same cup. This they did stop people with ...

Thanks. I hope folks are rinsing their bottles after each use to keep it clean, for their own health & safety.

-

That's translate into quite a # of small plastic cups to be picked up and wet floor if people need to take it & step aside. That's what I was afraid of - we need 3 cups worth of water, unspilled plus crushed ice to keep it chilled (if going ashore) per 20 oz. bottled to go.

I supposed that if & when we sail NCL, until such time (if ever) the policy changed, we will find the alternate water source - a solution not available to everyone. It's not something we need to personally deal with - looks like our friends ain't going in November either if we are ditching.

Thanks. I hope folks are rinsing their bottles after each use to keep it clean, for their own health & safety.

-

That's translate into quite a # of small plastic cups to be picked up and wet floor if people need to take it & step aside. That's what I was afraid of - we need 3 cups worth of water, unspilled plus crushed ice to keep it chilled (if going ashore) per 20 oz. bottled to go.

I supposed that if & when we sail NCL, until such time (if ever) the policy changed, we will find the alternate water source - a solution not available to everyone. It's not something we need to personally deal with - looks like our friends ain't going in November either if we are ditching.

Why all the drama? Just fill it up in the cabin bathroom and put it in refrigerator. Been doing it for years with no stress and drama free. It water, most likely cleaner than you get from home. People have survived 100 years on tap water.

Okay enough is enough. Everyone needs to chill out. I started this thread asking a SIMPLE question if anyone brought on water after the new policy one month ago. From there, scientists and righteous advocates for policies came out of the wood work. So now that I was able to find out for myself without any help from pages and pages of comments regarding water, I kindly updated all of the hardcore h2o enthusiasts.

Ooooo big rule breaker 12 whole water bottles. Wow. Now I will go back to my regular life instead of surfing cruise forums with the topic of water.

/endrant

p.s. The breakaway was a beautiful ship and I recommend her to everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if Miami is checking closer for 'violations' than New York or other ports. We are under 90 days now and still haven't gotten an email from NCL on this, but they have sent us a couple of other generic emails reminding us to book activities and restaurants.

I wonder if Miami is checking closer for 'violations' than New York or other ports. We are under 90 days now and still haven't gotten an email from NCL on this, but they have sent us a couple of other generic emails reminding us to book activities and restaurants.

I'm 41 days out and haven't heard anything from NCL, but it's very clear on my edocs that wine is the only liquid beverage allowed.

I'm 41 days out and haven't heard anything from NCL, but it's very clear on my edocs that wine is the only liquid beverage allowed.

So,,,, what more do you need????? I think that NCL is giving you a hint if it is "very clear on your eDocs". Hint. Hint. Don't bring anything else. Hint. Hint. :confused:

So,,,, what more do you need????? I think that NCL is giving you a hint if it is "very clear on your eDocs". Hint. Hint. Don't bring anything else. Hint. Hint. :confused:

I assume you're saying that in general and not directly to me, right? I'm a rule-follower so am not planning to bring any water or pop on. :D

And, it's not simply hinted at on the edocs. It says (caps theirs not mine):

BEVERAGE POLICY: IMPORTANT POLICY UPDATE EFFECTIVE JULY 15, 2016

And, then there's a link to the policy. I don't think "Nobody told me" is going to given much credence.