Sun itinerary changed for August 1, 2016 sailing?

frugaltravel

I think at this stage the Northbound cruise isn't changing or I haven't heard/read of any yet. I think most of the private tour operators though, have free cancellation policies in place for missed shore excursions due to the ship not porting. They tend to try and fit in, make changes, as they're motivated to keep the business. That still doesn't mean that you're going to be happy though, missing out on your planned tours, but hopefully you won't be out of pocket. I'm still unsure why they haven't contacted us if they know already the itinerary is going to be changed. I think the August 1st cruise was contacted 2 days prior. I hope you get to Skagway to do your fun tour.

Hmmm, I suspect the altered schedule is, as stated, down to the sewerage saga and can appreciate that adapting to deal with it is sensible. Based on what we are aware of to-date, there is no impact on the Northbound schedule (beyond that interesting detour mentioned in one of the posts) which is all to the good. However, I am highly suspicious of the motivation behind not informing anyone in a timely fashion. No-one has taken time to alter the advertised itineraries or drop booked passengers a line well in advance. This smacks to me of keeping the excursion competition on the hop. True, with reputable independents we are covered, but a refund is not true or fair compensation for missing out on experiences and the stress of uncertainty. Even though we are assured that every effort will be made to accommodate changes, the shine quickly starts to come off the holiday experience.

I have sent communications on the subject to both NCL and our excursion provider. I await responses with interest...

So true- it's the lack of communication that is disappointing.

In my admittedly limited recent experience this seems a trademark of NCL. ;)

Maybe they're wanting us to buy their internet package so we can rebook. [emoji6] I'm researching all options!

Now that wouldn't surprise me either!

Checking through the docs I have from our excursions I see that all have a telephone number of the local rep in case of changes (they know what they're up against). Of course, that's all very well but doesn't make for a relaxing cruise if you have to be ready to liaise with the tour if and when NCL makes a change - it would be nice to get aboard and simply enjoy what you have planned. And who reimburses you for the overseas phone calls? Yeah, muggins! :(

We are on the 5 September northbound cruise and the issue of the sewage odors has been front and center. It appears that the Sun changing itinerary to dump sewage relates to that same problem. Hope the sewage odors problem is not a problem, since we have an aft balcony.

From NCL today:

"I just researched your question about a change in itinerary. As of now we do not have any plans to change the itinerary as you described.

If an itinerary does change we will notify you with this information.

Please reply if you have further questions regarding this issue."

So, all I can say is keep your mobile phone to hand, just in case...

Just to repeat something I posted on the Aug 29th Roll Call: it looks as though today the NCL Sun is sailing from Juneau to ISP. This appears to be in reverse order when compared with the published itinerary which shows:

ISP : 3rd Aug

Juneau : 4th Aug

Care should be taken when checking the ship's current location via some of the online sites as these can show conflicting information that may confuse. For instance, on sea-scanner, a quick glance shows NCL's official itinerary in text format and this tells you NCL Sun is sailing from ISP to Juneau today and the map shows the course. But take a closer look at the map and you will see that the Sun is actually travelling from Juneau to ISP. Other sites seem to be similar. You need to look carefully at both the text and the graphic - something I didn't do early this morning! :(

So, if the NCL Sun is doing ISP and Juneau in reverse order today, and we now have information to say it will do likewise w/c 15th Aug, despite assurances from NCL to the contrary, can we expect this pattern to continue for 29th Aug and beyond? :confused:

This site looks useful: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ for status.

Edited by AquaMarineFerret

Probably as per earlier roll call posts and vendors contacting people. Let's hope we hear in advance so people like you, with booked tours can make the necessary changes. April 1st heard 2 days in advance, April 15th 11 days in advance. Let's hope April 29th hear at least 2 weeks in advance. Especially since they've contacted vendors already and informed them of the changes.

Probably as per earlier roll call posts and vendors contacting people. Let's hope we hear in advance so people like you, with booked tours can make the necessary changes. April 1st heard 2 days in advance, April 15th 11 days in advance. Let's hope April 29th hear at least 2 weeks in advance. Especially since they've contacted vendors already and informed them of the changes.

You may want to revise your months to Aug! :D

We have dropped our provider a message in advance, just in case. Hopefully, things can be readily re-arranged. Let's hope the ISP-Juneau swap is the only change!

I just want to know if Skagway is/had been dropped from this route? I have read posts saying it was switched to Sitka. Does anyone know if the Sun has stopped in Skagway at all this summer? It also seems to be skipping the second glacier as well. We sail southbound sept 12, but will be on a diy land tour for a week before in remote Alaska where there is no internet. I want to plan excursions before we leave but am at a loss right now.

I just want to know if Skagway is/had been dropped from this route? I have read posts saying it was switched to Sitka. Does anyone know if the Sun has stopped in Skagway at all this summer? It also seems to be skipping the second glacier as well. We sail southbound sept 12, but will be on a diy land tour for a week before in remote Alaska where there is no internet. I want to plan excursions before we leave but am at a loss right now.

I checked a live feed today and the Sun was on its way to Skagway...in fact, it may even be there by now! :)

Our independent agent has reassured us that if any changes take place we need to call their local reps (on the numbers provided) to check because they are usually able to re-schedule. If we miss an excursion because of the change we will be reimbursed (which is not really an ideal substitute for the experience, but better than nothing).

I was excited to read that the Sun was in Skagway today. BUT, if you look at the satellite image of Skagway it only shows 1 ship docked and it is the Carnival Legend. Both the Legend and Sun are supposed to be there today. The Sun webcam shows it is docked somewhere, but I can't tell where. And then a look at the cruisin me ship tracker site shows her underway using engine with legend right behind her using engine lol. I wonder how current/accurate these locators are. It's fun to watch though.

Yes, the Sun is in Skagway where she belongs - it looks like whatever problems she had are now solved and Sitka is no longer needed.

I use Marine Traffic a lot - the free version so I only get radio AIS data - they show the Sun entering Lynn Canal about 7.5 hrs ago - the satellite AIS data shows a passenger vessel at the Ore Dock in Skagway - which is probably the Sun. Usually I get radio AIS data in this area, however the receiver could be down.

We are on the Sun now.

Our travel agent sent an e-mail about the schedule changes late Thursday, so about 4 days before departure on Monday. I got the most concrete information from our tour providers when I called on Friday to reschedule.

We were in Juneau 10:30-9:30 on Wednesday (tendering in the morning then moving to AJ Dock at 4). We were at ISP 7-4 Thursday. This reversed the original schedule of ISP on Wednesday and Juneau on Thursday. We did not get to see Sawyer Glacier because we were in Juneau so late.

We were in Skagway today 7-5 as scheduled (docked at the far left dock when you're looking at town from the port) and we should be in Ketchikan tomorrow 1-8 as scheduled.

I was excited to read that the Sun was in Skagway today. BUT, if you look at the satellite image of Skagway it only shows 1 ship docked and it is the Carnival Legend. Both the Legend and Sun are supposed to be there today. The Sun webcam shows it is docked somewhere, but I can't tell where. And then a look at the cruisin me ship tracker site shows her underway using engine with legend right behind her using engine lol. I wonder how current/accurate these locators are. It's fun to watch though.

Just curious if you have access to current satellite imagery? Everything that I see is often months old.

Thank you for posting from the Sun! I'm actually happy with the changes to the original itinerary! I hope our sept 12 southbound follows the same route you are doing!

You want to miss the featured Sawyer glacier viewing??? We're happy that we recently switched off of this cruise.

You want to miss the featured Sawyer glacier viewing??? We're happy that we recently switched off of this cruise.

I'm doing B2B - I also plan to visit Mendenhall in Glacier (taking the Blue Express) and Exit Glacier as part of my transport back to Anchorage. I will see Hubbard and Glacier Bar. I also saw many on the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise in the Chile/Patagonia section of the cruise. I could also go on a Kenai NP cruise-unsure though whether I really want to sit for 6 hours on a small boat. (Will decide when I'm in Seward-depending on what I feel like doing. Other option for that day is zip lining which sounds a little more fun.) What makes Saywer Glacier special? What is it I'm missing out on? I really don't know a lot about this region-only what I'm researching at the moment. So I would be interested in your knowledge. I must admit when I read posts about the likely changes I was most concerned about missing a port.

I think that often the key aspect is that you book your cruise with the published schedule with every expectation that what they have on the published itinerary is premium holiday experience. When there is an unexpected change we are understandably concerned. However, sometimes the change isn't so bad. in fact it could be better. Fingers crossed. :)

I do not mind missing the glacier at all. Before I even get on the ship we will have hiked Root Glacier in Wrangell, Mantanuska Glacier, Exit Glacier, and cruised Glacier Bay. I will be glaciered out. I would rather have the extra 5 hours in Juneau.

I do not mind missing the glacier at all. Before I even get on the ship we will have hiked Root Glacier in Wrangell, Mantanuska Glacier, Exit Glacier, and cruised Glacier Bay. I will be glaciered out. I would rather have the extra 5 hours in Juneau.

Well, in all honesty, if the weather is good on the way up from Vancouver I am probably of the same opinion. It would certainly be pleasant to go up the mountain in Juneau with plenty of time to spare (weather permitting).

However, for others it might be a disappointment if it's supposed to be their first experience of seeing glaciers up close(ish). And if NCL would come clean and give plenty of notice it would give customers plenty of time to plan accordingly.

If the cruise features (i.e., in the title of the cruise) a glacier encounter, then that is what most passengers would expect. Don't really care what you would have done prior to the cruise (I guess that you are trying to impress us on your hiking skills).

We were supposed to be on this cruise but had to change a couple of weeks ago, and we are happy for the change. We would not have wanted to miss the featured part of the cruise.

If the cruise features (i.e., in the title of the cruise) a glacier encounter, then that is what most passengers would expect. Don't really care what you would have done prior to the cruise (I guess that you are trying to impress us on your hiking skills).

We were supposed to be on this cruise but had to change a couple of weeks ago, and we are happy for the change. We would not have wanted to miss the featured part of the cruise.

Are there any detailed reports back from the NCL Sun cruise Southbound from 1st August? Anyone sharing their experience?

• 1 month later...