Non-neutral handbag

I'm a Johnny-come-lately, but I change bags like most women change shoes and clothes! Since I've become "of an age", I have to wear orthotics and flats so cute shoes are forever gone...being the shape of Aunt Bea, a bangin' wardrobe isn't happening either. But handbags - they ALWAYS fit! I have to use lighter bags (my shoulders are affected too), but still, I have different color Coach bags, Calvin Klein, Guess, Vera Bradley (yep, I do patterns) and anything else that catches my fancy! Rather than black, I use navy or chestnut as basic colors, and blues, reds, yellows, patterns (Vera Bradley can be a little bright![emoji6]) or whatever as I feel like. For cruises I like to use Vera Bradley's All In One Crossbody, which can go from wallet in a big bag to wristlet to crossbody and holds my iPhone plus, money, cards, a small hand sanitizer, some Advil and a lip balm. Then, for shore time, since I have a Rollator, I toss it into a cinchpak which holds water, my wallet, a hat, a washcloth, souvenirs, and pretty much anything else the people who are with me toss at me since I have wheels! If you love it, go ahead and buy it. The matching shoes and purse rules (along with white before Labor Day) have gone away - yay!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you want colourful I would go with something by Vera Bradley.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm thinking I'll hit the Coach outlet that is an hour away. I suspect that for my first foray into "non-neutral" Vera Bradley is a bit daunting :) Maybe after my first try at non-neutral, though!

I'm a Johnny-come-lately, but I change bags like most women change shoes and clothes! Since I've become "of an age", I have to wear orthotics and flats so cute shoes are forever gone...being the shape of Aunt Bea, a bangin' wardrobe isn't happening either. But handbags - they ALWAYS fit! I have to use lighter bags (my shoulders are affected too), but still, I have different color Coach bags, Calvin Klein, Guess, Vera Bradley (yep, I do patterns) and anything else that catches my fancy! Rather than black, I use navy or chestnut as basic colors, and blues, reds, yellows, patterns (Vera Bradley can be a little bright![emoji6]) or whatever as I feel like. For cruises I like to use Vera Bradley's All In One Crossbody, which can go from wallet in a big bag to wristlet to crossbody and holds my iPhone plus, money, cards, a small hand sanitizer, some Advil and a lip balm. Then, for shore time, since I have a Rollator, I toss it into a cinchpak which holds water, my wallet, a hat, a washcloth, souvenirs, and pretty much anything else the people who are with me toss at me since I have wheels! If you love it, go ahead and buy it. The matching shoes and purse rules (along with white before Labor Day) have gone away - yay!

Thanks for the encouragement. Trust me, the "matching shoes and purse" rule went away for me decades ago :)

......It has traveled all over with me but I fear I may need to retire it soon as it is showing the dirt (but is in very good shape otherwise).

Investigate using the Mr Clean eraser on it. If you Google, you will find lots of info about cleaning handbags. I recently WASHED the fabric lining of my leather purse. It was much easier than I expected, and the results were pretty impressive.

I love Lug bags, they have cool, bright colours, very functional, lots of styles and they last forever. I have probably eight in different sizes, but the one I carry all the time is so functional, roomy and durable I love it, the Cable car bag. I see them more and more when travelling, best bags overall in my opinion.

I have a coral bag that I use most of the time because it goes with almost anything except pink. It's a plain tote except for a few matte gold embellishments. It looks really good with navy, jeans, white, black.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few years ago my sister bought a pine green bag. It was amazing. It seemed that no matter what she wore that pine green bag looked good with it. I thought surely it would clash with something but it never did. She finally got tired of it and gave it to Good Will.

I've been looking for a pine green bag too, but haven't found a bag that meets my specifications in that particular color.

A few years ago my sister bought a pine green bag. It was amazing. It seemed that no matter what she wore that pine green bag looked good with it. I thought surely it would clash with something but it never did. She finally got tired of it and gave it to Good Will.

I've been looking for a pine green bag too, but haven't found a bag that meets my specifications in that particular color.

Have you tried Goodwill? ;)

I like Kipling bags. I have a small one for everyday use and a larger one for travel since I have to also take my camera, packets of sunscreen and bug repellent, and various extra stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am just the opposite -- my everyday bag is bigger, carrying all the essentials of my daily life, but my travel bag is a little shoulder bag: just enough room for some cash, cards, a few kleenex, sunglasses, phone, small sunscreen, if nec. -- and I can even fit a 12 oz. water bottle and my (small) camera with extra batteries! Often I don't travel with my everyday purse at all, but if I do, it mostly stays locked in my cabin, hotel room or car trunk. I can't stand lugging a big bag around on day trips (except beach outings, of course -- then I carry a beach bag and often snorkel gear.)

Vive la difference!

If you want colourful I would go with something by Vera Bradley.

How I love some of her prints! But that is the problem for me: I wear a lot of prints, so the "clash of the prints" with a VB bag would be overwhelming. I know she sells some solids, but then, they just don't seem like Vera Bradley to me!

I am yearning for a colourful handbag. Orange, or sky blue, or purple. This is pretty illogical of me. I have one handbag I use all the time. Whatever season, whatever colour. Yes I have carried camel in the dead of winter in a blizzard :) That was my handbag at the time, so I carried it :)

So.... if you have a brightly coloured handbag, is it the one you use all the time? Or do you regularly change your handbag, so maybe every few days you carry a different one?

If you carry a coloured handbag all the time (as I would be doing), what colour?

Odd question, I know. I'm having a hard time talking myself out of this!

In recent years I've owned: fuchsia, spring green, mustard, and turquoise metallic. The latter two are the only ones I carried everyday. The others were for special occasions. Plus I've always had brown and black, and even a brown/tan/gold somewhat muted patchwork bag, which I really loved loved.

I actually used to change purses a lot, depending on my outfit. I even put everything into little pouches in my purse so as to transfer things quickly and easily. But I live in a household of men (husband and five sons) and I got so tired of the constant commenting about how many bags I had and how often I changed them, that I stopped the practice. My sons have mostly grown up and moved out now --my youngest is just starting college --so I may go back to my old habits. :) If I do, I'm sure my DH will eventually tire of commenting. After all, he never comments on the different shoes I wear with each outfit... though he does occasionally comment on the sheer quantity of shoes I own... :rolleyes:

P.S. Has anybody noticed that it seems impossible to have a discussion about purses without somehow mentioning shoes? Why is that? :rolleyes:

Investigate using the Mr Clean eraser on it. If you Google, you will find lots of info about cleaning handbags.

Thanks, I will look into it. I may have one under my kitchen sink. :)

UPDATE: Well, no Mr. Clean eraser under my sink so I decided to throw caution to the wind and try to clean my Guess cross body bag. It was quite dirty from years of love and use, on planes, trains, and automobiles alike! I took an old toothbrush and some hot soapy water and set to work, not really sure what would happen, but it did come clean! I just gently scrubbed using a mild soap and it looks much better now. I am going to wash the detachable fabric strap in my machine in my zippered bag I use for delicates - I have high hopes for that process.

So thanks to VennDiagram for getting the ball rolling and I appreciate the "nudge". ;):D

Hi. I'm RoadTripFanatic and I have a purse problem. :) Buy whatever color makes you happy. In the summer I have a basic white purse but my favorite purse that I use all the time is a bold Blue, Black and white tote. It doesn't match my outfits but I love it. In the fall I have a Pumpkin color bag that I love. My go to ugly "mom" travel purse is an overland donner purse. I don't think they make it anymore. I usually mix and match between it and my basic black coach cross body when I travel. The last trip the coach purse showed up 3 days. The rest it was the ugly mom purse. I love this purse. It's tomato color. But it seriously can carry everything I need and it has two spots for a water bottle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162162031966?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

In retro-spect I should have bought this bag in black too.:)

At home I typically carry something more conservative/neutral - BUT my travel crossbody bag - is a hot pink/orange lined baggallini with lots of compartments/slots (no wallet) which I love.

I wear that on the plane and carry a HOT PINK coach tote bag (the weekend type that folds up and fits into its own pouch when not in use - and the pouch 'snaps' into the bag for an extra pocket inside if you wish!). This bag fits under the seat (and I can tuck my purse inside it as well).

Here it is (found mine on ebay for a good price!): http://singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/8450666.jpg

(I would also have a rolling carryon with me that fits in the overhead bin and yes I can 'hang' the tote bag off the handles when going thru the airport, etc)

I use the pink coach tote around the ship during the day (sunscreen, book, water bottle, sunglasses/hat, lip balm, towel, etc)..and at night I carry a black small coach shoulder bag for a couple of essentials.

Edited by Froufie

...and so was out shopping last night for a new 'work tote bag' - at the local Winners (e.g. Marshalls) - was looking thru the racks - various bags/colors/materials - and I find something that looks pretty nice - muted red color - lo and behold - a great find - baggallini: http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/avenue-tote/279308?productid=10319413 ... got it in the Apple color!

Has a great laptop/ipad padded divider inside - several pockets and best of all for real 'travel' has the 'sleeve' at the back to slide onto suitcase handles - only $49 (plus tax).

Will be trying it out when I take the train to Montreal for Labor day weekend - need a tote bag for train to keep under the seat and planning to walk to the hotel so will be able to slip this on my spinner and shlep it over that way LOL

Edited by Froufie

• 2 weeks later...

I did it :D ordered a handbag in a salmon or apricot colour. :D Got it :D Hated it :( Loved the colour, hated the bag shape/size/style so I sent it back. I loved the colour and the idea of using it as my everyday bag. So, now I know I definitely will do this. I just need to find the right bag. Thank you all for your encouragement!

Nowadays I carry a purse to match whatever I am wearing each day, so I have every colour under the sun purse in my walk in. For some reason I get comments every day about my bag or shoes.

I just use one of those insert pouches, forget what you call them, that you transfer between each bag and then add my electronics etc.

I used to carry the same, nice biggish classic LV for donkies but it didn't go with all the nice colours but more importantly didn't match any shoes as I don't like brown shoes so put that away for a while.

Good luck with the search for the perfect bag!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER