Compensation for Port Change

ireashmott

Yes, that's the plan I purchased. I did not choose it for those benefits, but did of course notice them when I was reviewing the policy.

Those are the best policies. A lot of plans require you buy the insurance within X number of days of your initial deposit to obtain cancel for any reason, or pre-existing condition waiver. With these plans you have to purchase before or on day of final payment. The look back period is only 60 days too. With some plans the look back period is 120 days.

They give you a lot of coverage for your money. No, I don't work for Nationwide. LOL

My sail's itinerary has changed one of its ports during the middle of the cruise and has changed the other of some of the others. Should I expect or be able to demand any compensation? It doesn't really negatively impact me, but I'll take any money I can get.

The only ports that you are guaranteed are embarkation and debarkation, all the others are always subject to change and you are never entitled to compensation for any changes, though if ports are totally missed you are entitled to a refund of any fees paid to that port.

Technically they can head out to sea and do circles for 7 days with no ports. Now I'm sure they would have really bad press if this happened but technically they can with no compensation other then refunding port charges.

Technically, they can't intentionally take you in circles from a US port. They have to go to another country to avoid US labor regulations. That's why all the cruises to nowhere from NY were cancelled. All Alaska cruises stop in Canada, so they qualify as international cruises. Otherwise we'd be under US regs.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

If you precooked ship trips through NCL, you will get that money refunded in the case of a port cancellation. I'm not sure if it will be in the form of a check or OBC.

We have had ports cancelled in the past and had the value of the NCL pre-booked (:D) shorex refunded to our on-board account.

Those are the best policies. A lot of plans require you buy the insurance within X number of days of your initial deposit to obtain cancel for any reason, or pre-existing condition waiver. With these plans you have to purchase before or on day of final payment. The look back period is only 60 days too. With some plans the look back period is 120 days.

They give you a lot of coverage for your money. No, I don't work for Nationwide. LOL

Those are the exact reasons I ended up choosing this policy. I normally buy the insurance when I book the trip,but I booked so far in advance this time there were a lot of "maybes" whether we would be able to keep the date and who was going. Happy to hear I picked a good policy.

Imagine if NCL compensated people every time they couldn't get to Great Stirrup Cay - they would be in receivership by the end of the year :D

Just to add: out of 6 cruises we have had ports changed for various reasons (at various stages) on 4 occasions, and I didn't expect or want a penny. I would rather be stuck on a ship for an extra day (or in a different port) than be at work any day of the week :)

5/7/16 Gem cruise we missed GSC and we're compensated with OBC because the Gem had to spend extra time in Nassau to work on mechanical problems. We knew of the change when we boarded the ship, was better than missing because of weather, got compensated. Also got to Nassau sooner and spent that day at the zoo.