Compensation for Port Change

ireashmott

My sail's itinerary has changed one of its ports during the middle of the cruise and has changed the other of some of the others. Should I expect or be able to demand any compensation? It doesn't really negatively impact me, but I'll take any money I can get.

No chance of demanding compensation. Your contract doesn't specifically name any ports and the line has no requirement to actually take you to any of them.

However, you should receive back any port tax that was due for that port (and adjustments for the other changes). There is always the possibility of them offering OBC is the change is significant.

I assume that you are talking about a future cruise, not one that you are currently on. Itineraries to quite often change like that.

My sail's itinerary has changed one of its ports during the middle of the cruise and has changed the other of some of the others. Should I expect or be able to demand any compensation? It doesn't really negatively impact me, but I'll take any money I can get.

Details would be interesting but NCL is able to vary the order of ports or even delete some of the actual ports on any cruise so I imagine you would be out of luck with any compensation.

No you should not expect any compensation, this is something they have the authority to do under the contract. It sounds like they are replacing one port with another so it's doubtful that you would see any refund for port taxes as those will go to the port you will be visiting.

Technically they can head out to sea and do circles for 7 days with no ports. Now I'm sure they would have really bad press if this happened but technically they can with no compensation other then refunding port charges.

If it doesn't impact you negatively then why would you expect compensation?

I don't think I am automatically entitled to compensation or expect to be compensated. I was just wondering if NCL has a policy of providing an OBC or otherwise when a change occurs so I would know to ask for it. I get that it would be entirely discretionary.

Thank you for confirming what I figured - no comp. Just didn't want to miss out on an easy claim to an OBC if there was one.

Edited by ireashmott

Go ahead and demand compensation, but understand that NCL doesn't owe passengers anything for port changes (read Guest Ticket Contract) nor do they usually compensate passengers for the changes.

Go ahead and demand compensation, but understand that NCL doesn't owe passengers anything for port changes (read Guest Ticket Contract) nor do they usually compensate passengers for the changes.

Some cruise lines offer OBC as a courtesy to their guests when they arbitrarily make changes that alter the cruise experience.

Two years ago on a 13-day cruise in the Norwegian and North Seas, we had to cancel two ports because of a hurricane. They added a different one later. Everyone received $22.50 pp for refund of port fees. If there's a difference downward of fees, you might get a little recompense, but no guarantee.

Two years ago on a 13-day cruise in the Norwegian and North Seas, we had to cancel two ports because of a hurricane. They added a different one later. Everyone received $22.50 pp for refund of port fees. If there's a difference downward of fees, you might get a little recompense, but no guarantee.

And we didn't have to ask it just showed up. Although there were some who were asking about larger amounts before the refund was given. I felt they were just being entitled.

I think there is a big difference in cancelled ports and port changes. When a cruise line cancel's a port, one gets the port fees returned and sometimes an OBC for the inconvenience, but that doesn't usually happen when a port is changed from one to another.

I think there is a big difference in cancelled ports and port changes. When a cruise line cancel's a port, one gets the port fees returned and sometimes an OBC for the inconvenience, but that doesn't usually happen when a port is changed from one to another.

Agreed. I also included the dollar amount to give an idea of the level of compensation one might receive, in case anyone (not necessarily the OP) was expecting hundreds of dollars of OBC for a cancelled port. Some on the cruise I mentioned were looking for amounts in that range.

--Michael

Imagine if NCL compensated people every time they couldn't get to Great Stirrup Cay - they would be in receivership by the end of the year :D

Just to add: out of 6 cruises we have had ports changed for various reasons (at various stages) on 4 occasions, and I didn't expect or want a penny. I would rather be stuck on a ship for an extra day (or in a different port) than be at work any day of the week :)

Did you buy trip insurance? I was buying a policy yesterday for my upcoming December cruise and noticed one of the benefits was for change in itinerary (prior to leaving and/or while on the cruise). I have always purchased insurance, but thankfully never had to use it for any reason. I don't know the details of the itinerary change benefit, but if you do have insurance maybe check to see if it's included.

If the new port is more popular or has higher port fees, will you compensate the cruise line?

Did you buy trip insurance? I was buying a policy yesterday for my upcoming December cruise and noticed one of the benefits was for change in itinerary (prior to leaving and/or while on the cruise). I have always purchased insurance, but thankfully never had to use it for any reason. I don't know the details of the itinerary change benefit, but if you do have insurance maybe check to see if it's included.

Nationwide Choice Cruise and Luxury Cruise trip insurance offer itinerary change protection. If you are notified of an itinerary change before sailing, and you elect to take the voyage, you are reimbursed for inconvenience. If there is an itinerary change during your cruise, you are reimbursed for any non-refundable shore excursions you missed.

Nationwide Choice Cruise and Luxury Cruise trip insurance offer itinerary change protection. If you are notified of an itinerary change before sailing, and you elect to take the voyage, you are reimbursed for inconvenience. If there is an itinerary change during your cruise, you are reimbursed for any non-refundable shore excursions you missed.

Yes, that's the plan I purchased. I did not choose it for those benefits, but did of course notice them when I was reviewing the policy.