Voom Questions

Hangouts works just as fine on an iPhone. You might not have the better integration as on Android (you can get both GV and regular text inside Hangouts) but you can text and call via Hangout on an iPhone. Try in on land before you ever get on the ship. Put your phone in Airplane mode (as you would on the ship), turn on WiFi only and try it.

I have been able to make calls via hangout in airplane mode with wifi on using my iphone. I have been experimenting with different wifi sources and so far it works most places . .

If I buy the 2 device package can they be used by a different cabin? We have 2 cabins with the kids on upcoming cruise and wanted to be able to text them on board.

Thanks

You can share the 2-device package with anyone you want, however only 2 devices can be logged in at the same time.

This must be a relatively recent change for Verizon, because for years the USVI was treated as foreign.

I know they've been making some changes lately. My Verizon Plan now includes calling to/from Mexico and Canada at domestic rates. Other plans still require a $2/day travel pass there.

Last cruise I only purchased AT&T's international phone package but not ship internet. I learned I couldn't use Viber while on airplane mode. Thankfully, I had the AT&T package so I used it and was ok. However, next cruise in Jan I will be using Voom surf and stream since I like videotaping and posting pics.

This must be a relatively recent change for Verizon, because for years the USVI was treated as foreign.

I think the change was made about a month ago. Before my last cruise two weeks ago, I saw the pricing information about St. Thomas was in flux on their web site.

However, next cruise in Jan I will be using Voom surf and stream since I like videotaping and posting pics.

What kind of tapes do you use in your videotape machine?:p

Biker, who hopes the younger generation appreciates how easy they have it, technology wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for clarification, can you facetime with just the surf package? and if you pre purchased surf package can you upgrade to stream by paying the difference and not purchasing a new package

thank you in advance for any help

Just for clarification, can you facetime with just the surf package? and if you pre purchased surf package can you upgrade to stream by paying the difference and not purchasing a new package

thank you in advance for any help

Depends on the ship if you can Facetime with surf only. Also, it seems like Royal is in the process of lowering the bandwidth limits, so they might be working it so that you must purchase stream to do any kind of live video.

and if you pre purchased surf package can you upgrade to stream by paying the difference and not purchasing a new package

You should be able to upgrade and it should be $5/day (the diff between the two packages). If they won't process a straight upgrade, simply cancel the SURF package you have for OBC and then buy the STREAM package.

I think the change was made about a month ago. Before my last cruise two weeks ago, I saw the pricing information about St. Thomas was in flux on their web site.

Yes, I was very happy to learn that on these boards. :)

They have fiddled with other charges, too. I learned that the charge in Spain to use my phone is only $5 per day. (half of most other European countries)

• 3 weeks later...

Just off jewel and was very happy with surfing package. I was able to easily connect and call home via voip without issue. I also had no issues sending or getting emails. This was a cheaper option than international calling plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off jewel and was very happy with surfing package. I was able to easily connect and call home via voip without issue. I also had no issues sending or getting emails. This was a cheaper option than international calling plan.

I'm glad to hear that as I'm going on Jewel next year. I assume you didn't manage to perform a speedtest?

Edited by cuddylier

Will zoom allow you to use the apps on your phone. Like Disney app. Daughter likes to watch shows using the app

Yes, in general you can use apps, however if the app provides video streaming, then it would be good to purchase the higher speed stream package.

No speed test- I'm not that tech savy but I was able to send emails with photos attached daily without issue.

Ah okay, I'm just trying to figure out if Jewel has 03b yet but hopefully someone else is able to chime in at some point. If web pages loaded like they would at home speed wise then it's quite possible it has o3b.

Ah okay, I'm just trying to figure out if Jewel has 03b yet but hopefully someone else is able to chime in at some point. If web pages loaded like they would at home speed wise then it's quite possible it has o3b.

Have not seen any reports indicating O3b on Jewel.

If web pages loaded like they would at home speed wise then it's quite possible it has o3b.

Even with O3B, you are still not going to get "at home" like performance. You still have much worse latency (ping of about 200 ms) on the ship vs. home (in the 10-50 ms range - the lower the better). It's not as obvious as with non-O3B ships, but it will still be slightly slower.

Considering Liberty did not get the O3B upgrade during its dry dock, it is questionable if any other ships will get it (other than brand new ones like O4 under construction).

Even with O3B, you are still not going to get "at home" like performance. You still have much worse latency (ping of about 200 ms) on the ship vs. home (in the 10-50 ms range - the lower the better). It's not as obvious as with non-O3B ships, but it will still be slightly slower.

Considering Liberty did not get the O3B upgrade during its dry dock, it is questionable if any other ships will get it (other than brand new ones like O4 under construction).

I understand that however from my own experience of 03b on Allure, it really couldn't have gotten much better speed wise and I was never sitting around waiting however on Vision it was very evident to me that the latency was causing pages to load much slower than Allure did, of course due to the massive latency difference but I thought that might be the best non technical way to explain it to anyone who didn't perform speed tests. Thanks for the info about the potential for 03b on other ships.