Oceania Marina Free Air From San Francisco

J&MSails

We are about to book the cruise from Valparaiso to Miami in January on the Marina. The free air promotion that is offered is an incredible deal. What we are concerned with is the flight from SFO to SCL going to be a 4 stop 36 hour 3 airline adventure. Our TA says we will not know what the schedule will be until just before the cruise. Can anyone advise their experiences with their free flights?

Thanks

Jim & Maureen

We are about to book the cruise from Valparaiso to Miami in January on the Marina. The free air promotion that is offered is an incredible deal. What we are concerned with is the flight from SFO to SCL going to be a 4 stop 36 hour 3 airline adventure. Our TA says we will not know what the schedule will be until just before the cruise. Can anyone advise their experiences with their free flights?

Thanks

Jim & Maureen

There are a million variables in your question, and even if you got someone who used the free air on that cruise previously, it would not be any kind of indicator as to what your flights will be in future.

A good travel agent would already have explained to you that paying the Air Deviation fee will address 85% of your concerns.

I would suggest that you start there, and then ask more questions here as needed. ;)

Edited by JimandStan

Hopefully you are flying in a day or more early ???

I would pay the air deviation & pick the flights that work for me then see if Oceania can get them them without any upcharge

but that is me

It's not just you, Lyn! We always use a deviation when using O's air. We just did so for our Nautica June 25th cruise, but for us it was just two non-stop flights: Newark to CPH with a return from LHR. Even so, we wouldn't trust to flying in on the day of the cruise. It would have worked out fine this time but even so ...

With the OP's prospective 4 stop/3 airline venture, I'd never go in on the day of the cruise. Too scary.

(I may be missing something!)

Mura

J&MSails

I just did a Google search for “Flights SFO to SCL”. There are a number of options with various airlines with one stop and total time of 14 to 17 hours. Suggest that that you do a search for your preferred fly date to SCL and return to SFO. Select the flights that meet your criteria and propose this to your TA or to Oceania, remembering that it best to go in a day early. You will have to pay the deviation fee and perhaps an additional fee for the extra cost to Oceania for the selected flights. However, you will not pay these fees until you and Oceania agree on the airline, times and routing. We have done this a few times and it works for us.

Cheers,

Don

I am on the preceding Buenos Aires to Valparaiso . My TA said that the schedule would be available at 75 days out. At that time I could pay the deviation fee (and any surcharges) and submit requests before they are ticketed at 60 days if I was not happy. If they were satisfactory then allow Oceania to ticket as usual. If I wanted to know before 75 days or if wanting extra days I should pay the fee now. Is she correct in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jsbultimar

By then:

1) the air credit may not be what it is right now(if you decide to book your own air)

2) your choices for good flights/times may be very limited.

Are you happy with flying in the day the cruise departs? I don't know what time of year your cruise is, or where you are flying from, but even in good weather times of year, we always fly in before embarkation day.

Why not fly in a day or two before, and see BA as well...I hear it is wonderful!

Edited by tropicalkerry2002

By then:

1) the air credit may not be what it is right now(if you decide to book your own air)

2) your choices for good flights/times may be very limited.

Are you happy with flying in the day the cruise departs? I don't know what time of year your cruise is, or where you are flying from, but even in good weather times of year, we always fly in before embarkation day.

Why not fly in a day or two before, and see BA as well...I hear it is wonderful!

Flying from Tampa, ideally one connection through Miami. The cruise departs the day after embarkation, so not so worried about delayed flights. Most all flights are overnight, probably through Miami or Atlanta. Was in Buenos Aires last December, so having a day and a half to explore some areas I didn't visit last year is fine.. Cruise embarks Dec. 19 sails on the 20th.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jsbultimar

Flying from Tampa, ideally one connection through Miami. The cruise departs the day after embarkation, so not so worried about delayed flights. Most all flights are overnight, probably through Miami or Atlanta. Was in Buenos Aires last December, so having a day and a half to explore some areas I didn't visit last year is fine.. Cruise embarks Dec. 19 sails on the 20th.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree it is a tough choice

if you want to wait & see what O gives you it may be too late to get a 1 stop flight you might have a longer trip for for more $$

it may be worth it just ask what flights O would give you if you fly in the day before

WE use air deviation because it lets us choose our own flights and times. Plus once the tickets are purchased you might be able can get a premium economy upgrade if you so desire of course on your nickle. WE are flying out in about 100 days, you have to get your TA to call O and tell them you want your tickets earlier. Both O and the TA reminded me the tickets were nonrefundable but that is what travel insurance is for because the only way we won't go is if there is a major emergency. WE found O beat the price I could do it even with the air deviation fee and nongateway fees added in.

WE use air deviation because it lets us choose our own flights and times. Plus once the tickets are purchased you might be able can get a premium economy upgrade if you so desire of course on your nickle. WE are flying out in about 100 days, you have to get your TA to call O and tell them you want your tickets earlier. Both O and the TA reminded me the tickets were nonrefundable but that is what travel insurance is for because the only way we won't go is if there is a major emergency. WE found O beat the price I could do it even with the air deviation fee and nongateway fees added in.

You are correct across the board, however:

Once the tickets are purchased you might be able can get a premium economy upgrade if you so desire of course on your nickle.

The Passenger needs to specify in advance that they need an "upgrade-able" class of Airline ticket, otherwise there is a very good chance that it won't be.

you have to get your TA to call O and tell them you want your tickets earlier.

The Cruise must be paid in full before Oceania will agree to purchase the Airline tickets.

WE found O beat the price I could do it even with the air deviation fee and nongateway fees added in.

Absolutely true, and with Airline prices being so mercurial, the best practice is to ALWAYS price the Air both ways. You can go through several voyages where the difference in price is inconsequential, and then.......BAM you save a thousand bucks! :eek:

In case it helps, here's a real world example (but from a while ago, so ymmv). In Dec 2014 we did Buenos Aires to Valparaiso on O. We did our own air (stayed a few days in Chile and doing our own air was cheaper than a deviation), but my folks used O's air from Seattle.

Iirc, headed down their routing was SEA-IAH-EZE. Back was also 2 legs total, don't remember if transfer point was IAH or someplace else. It worked out fine for them, they flew in day of (but we did have an overnight in Buenos Aires so somewhat low risk). Connection times were generous without being ridiculous. My 80-something mom jogged for a connection a few years ago in Amsterdam and ended up visiting a Dr. in Athens as a result, so they are pretty aware of connection logistics ;)

I second JimandStan, always price both O's credit and independent ticketing. Our latest O cruise we are taking the included air, the credit would be $600 lower than the cheapest we could find.

Edited by babysteps

UAL flys to IAH and then non-stop to Santiago... no flights into Valpariso a scary little town. You have to then get a transfer from Santiago to Valpariso about 2 hours....cost $35pp Id take the O and deviation

Suggest the Marriott in Santigo as your flight will get in earily am Its a $50 cab ride into Santiago I would not,,,repeat not want to spend any time in Valpariso....that you dont have to....When they have armed guards in the bathrooms you tend to take notice.....

Buenos Aires....is Not what many think...it MAY have been the Paris of So America, but its pretty much, on my last visit, a highrise version of Tijuana.. with over the top crime and poverty. They are experiencing 30-40% inflation and people are hurting... No Buenos Aires for me thanks

Edited by Hawaiidan

Thanks to all of you.

Looked at the flights we wanted to arrive two days early, gave them to the TA and Oceania gave us what we wanted with only paying the air deviation fee!

This will be our first cruise on Oceania.

Thanks again to all of you

Jim & Maureen

I didn't even read the previous posts and I can comment in an informed way.

Before retiring, I flew out of SFO internationally on a very regular basis over a professional lifetime. I have experienced every possible delay/problem/issue. IMO, take the air credit and make your own arrangements with as few connections as possible and a minimum of 3 hours layover at each plane change.