LIVE from Maasdam 14 day Alaskan Explorer 8/1 - 8/15

scluvsrain

You have convinced us -- we have to go back to Alaska. Your pictures are really beautiful.

Awww. Thank you!!!

I'm having a great day, other than getting a little lost inside Anchorage earlier. I did make my way north and visited Eklutna Lake, which is beautiful and serene, Mirror Lake, Thunderbird Falls and Wasilla!!! I might have also seen Russia!!! Bahahahahaha.

426a619741134c2c01339a3902b46293.jpgc3cb70eb13e74013f4b782545e30e34d.jpgc78eca0aa56decbb29b2c0ecc8119ec1.jpg88f35316e39f141639559e1c47c1fcc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scluvsrain.... I so love this thread. Your reports are just wonderful. And those animals.... holy cow. Awesome. Were they just along a road?

My guess is that the animals were at the wildlife conservation center. I went there a couple years ago. Nice day trip.

I got back to Anchorage in the pouring rain, at about 4:00 PM. I still wanted to go out to Earthquake Park so I made that little side trip, then returned my car to Avis and walked the 3 short blocks to the shuttle.

Arriving back in my cabin I quickly changed out of my damp clothes and went to the dining room for dinner. I was starved!!! I enjoyed a nice leisurely dinner with two other couples, one of which the husband was celebrating his 87th birthday. A very sweet man, as was his wife.

Tomorrow we are in Homer from 10-6.

Here's a few pictures of my drive South on Seward Highway and the Wildlife Conservation Center.

Awww. Thank you!!!

I'm having a great day, other than getting a little lost inside Anchorage earlier. I did make my way north and visited Eklutna Lake, which is beautiful and serene, Mirror Lake, Thunderbird Falls and Wasilla!!! I might have also seen Russia!!! Bahahahahaha.

Enjoying your picture posts!

Good morning,

Thanks for doing the "live from"! We're doing the 14 day on the Amsterdam next year and that will be our 4th time on this itinerary. We love Homer! I just looked at the webcam and it looks like you'll have a nice day there. Thanks for all the photos. What a treat to not have to tender at Icy Strait Point and the new dock in Sitka is nice as well.

Karen

Just arriving at Homer! It's a beautiful sunny day. High is expected to reach 64. That's flip flop weather for me!!

The seagulls outside are making a wild racket. I guess they're happy we are here. Here's a couple of opening shots. 370db11cc5fa15e96ed98747b696d9c6.jpgff3c2e42994f81183d57bc6af35384e8.jpg

Uh oh. Just like yesterday in Anchorage, there is an ambulance parked at the dock with gurney ready. We're roped up but the gangway isn't down yet. Boo. I'm always sad when I see that. It means, most likely, that someone's vacation has ended too soon. I hope they have insurance.

Jacqui - that is Snort. He's been with me FOREVER. When I was still working, he sat on my desk and watched over me and commiserated with me when I was frustrated or tired or annoyed. When I retired last year he started joining me on my trips. I didn't start including him in my photos until a few months ago. He was with us when we were on our Pearls of the Pacific tour.

I took him out with me the other day and my cabin attendant got worried that Snort had gotten tangled up in the sheets when they were changing them. He looked everywhere but couldn't find him. He was beyond relieved when he turned down my room that night and saw Snort sitting happily on the couch next to my backpack!

Snort also likes to hang out with the towel animals during sea days.

Jacqui - that is Snort. He's been with me FOREVER. When I was still working, he sat on my desk and watched over me and commiserated with me when I was frustrated or tired or annoyed. When I retired last year he started joining me on my trips. I didn't start including him in my photos until a few months ago. He was with us when we were on our Pearls of the Pacific tour.

I took him out with me the other day and my cabin attendant got worried that Snort had gotten tangled up in the sheets when they were changing them. He looked everywhere but couldn't find him. He was beyond relieved when he turned down my room that night and saw Snort sitting happily on the couch next to my backpack!

Snort also likes to hang out with the towel animals during sea days.

LOL on where he likes to hang out :)

You poor cabin steward. I bet he had a smile on his face though.

I thought he (Snort) looked familiar and that is why I couldn't resist asking.

enjoying your thread and many thanks for taking the time to do it :)

And some more

17e5e19003eeda604aca199468128653.jpg813162163ab316d12fa80a86434e4456.jpg8bc175ece9c7196ebc80c3f173321a06.jpg05e697ba0b6d270aab2474a98e9877db.jpg1f2671e32debdf782cbb2e34d267f610.jpg

The last two are from on the spit. It seems a good portion of Homerites live up in those wooded hills above town.

There's quite a few RV and tent camping parks along the road to and at the spit.

I'm heading over to the other side of the spit next.

This is sort of a recap of my day in Homer.

We arrived mid morning in Homer. It's at the southwest end of the Kenai Peninsula and is the sweetest little town I've seen lately! Most of the 8,000 or so residents live up in the wooded foothills just behind the small little town from what I could see.

The weather is pretty temperate by Alaska standards. Only about 3 feet of snow per year but they do have a healthy rainy season, which is just beginning, I'm told.

I could totally live here! First of all, the town name is easy to spell and easy to say. There's lots of fishing, moose, bears and eagles. The people are so nice. The food is delicious. There's a movie theatre and two bookstores. And views of the snow capped mountains that go on forever. It sits on beautiful Kachemak Bay, 200 road miles from Anchorage. You can drive from Homer to Washington state and beyond. Alaska's Scenic Byway road ends in Homer.

Across the bay are 5 glaciers nestled beneath the Kenai Mountains.

We docked at the spit, which is where the marina sits, and I took a shuttle bus into town, about 4 1/2 miles away. I spent the morning walking around town and visiting shops and the bookstores, then shuttled it back to the spit. Another bus took us over to the other side of the spit. I had a nice lunch at one of the restaurants and walked and store-browsed some more.

It's been a great day here! I'd like to come back for a few weeks and maybe try my hand on a fishing charter or go on a bear watching tour. This is a place where you can relax and enjoy the beauty of this area.

Snort liked it too.

A few final shots.

8e0883b8703843ed31e930b03576dfb7.jpg145377232cf495194c28fb93a356499b.jpg4b59eafa6b3cd418bb55520330091def.jpg11183a1d83fcb67a6b705cbe3344d7ac.jpgd0e27f62b6e2d2eb69f6e4879b9b8f74.jpg12d28b532e2228503f865f613a770670.jpg

Tomorrow is Kodiak!

Enjoying your pictures and review of Homer. I wish we were stopping there on our cruise but we are staying overnight in Anchorage (probably for Garrison to do a show). Staying overnight in Anchorage will be good too as we have a long excursion the first day.

Homer looks like a great place to visit, very quaint!