Rhapsody Mediterranean review including compasses, photos, and more

Saturday, August 6th-Mediterranean Sea.

Sadly, elves didn't magically appear and remodel the entire windjammer design overnight. Seriously, who thought up the circular buffet concept and more importantly- What. Were. They. Thinking? IMO, the Only buffet design worse is Caribbean class on princess where the design is similarly a muck, but princess runs lateral and at 45 degree angles giving it a slight edge in the buffet design debacle category.

We abandoned the buffet idea and instead went to park cafe in the lovely solarium where we dined on yogurt and bagels with salmon. The solarium is a peaceful, adult only area dedicated to those that have chillin' down to a science. Surprisingly, there were still prime spots available on the padded loungers at 10 am. In fact, there were loungers available everywhere today. It wAs like the Mecca of lounge chair availability. Nice switch from recent experiences.

I suppose this is a good time to mention that I cruised MSC (non-yacht club) in April and MSC Yacht club in June. That makes 3 cruises in 4 months. It's a good thing we have lots of hiking planned. My waistline is becoming problematic. I also sailed on NCLs getaway this time last year, so I can probably do some reasonable comparisons given those time frames. We don't cruise exclusively, this was just a banner year for cruising. I should also mention that my loyalty is reserved for things with an actual pulse; therefore I have zero cruise brand loyalty. This tends to tick off both the cheerleaders and the negative nillies of specific cruise lines simultaneously. Two birds, one stone. Go me.

It's hard not to compare lots to MSC since my experiences are so recent. Hopefully this may help those of you considering MSC.

Firstly, the divina is new and has very few wrinkles. She is shinier and cleaner than Rhapsody. Attention was paid to little details on divina that make her gorgeous (lighting fixtures, crystals, etc...). She's also larger at 130 GT. No doubt from a purely ascetic standpoint the divina makes rhapsody look like the ugly unwanted stepchild. With that all being said, I like the rhapsody as a ship much better. The centrum area is bright and airy compared to the divina which is much more dark and intimate. The connection to the sea is much more prevalent on rhapsody with an actual usable promenade deck (divina promenade view is blocked by lifeboats) and floor to ceiling windows in many public venues. It's probably just my nature-girl-tree-hugging side, but I want to see the sea when sailing.

So far, the energy level of the staff on rhapsody is significantly higher with more of a focus on providing a family/friendly type of atmosphere in contrast with the stiffer and more formal approach on MSC. I've had more interaction with my cabin steward in the last 2 days than I did my "Butler" on MSC in a week. I'm not saying MSC service is "bad"; quite the contrary. But the service approach is absolutely different giving the ships entirely different energy feels.

We spent the entire day today in the solarium. The last four days in Venice and a 10 hour time change were the perfect recipe for a much needed down day. The day was cloudy and we went through a pretty significant storm which included thunder, lightening, and hail. I napped through most of it. By 3 pm the sun was back in full force and the captain said that should be the end of rain for the next 10 days.

We have $550.00 in onboard credit to spend which leaves a significant amount after tips. Especially given that I pre-purchased the surf package for $9.99 a day, and a select package for DH at $31 a day.

Since we did not book independent tours for Corfu tomorrow we decided to do a ship tour called city sites to use some of the OBC. The English-speaking version of the trip was sold out, but far be it from me to let that alter our plans. I simply signed us up for the Spanish speaking version. My Spanish is limited to dos margarita por favor. Wish us luck :).

Off for formal night!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinner was delicious! I had beef tenderloin, DH had shrimp. We both had scallop appetizer (yummy). Went to see ceilion dion show with low expectations - pleasant surprise. She received standing ovation from much of the crowd. Rhapsody is a really fun ship with fantastic crew. People are highly involved in the activities day and night. Even the guy making coffee in cafe' latitudes had a terrific attitude. You can tell the crew likes this ship. Here is today's planner:

54b34cfd1d73473c978c85165767fda2.jpg

Thank you for the review, we were on a South America cruise and will be back on Western Med in October.

I thought (our) Windjammer issues were because NO ONE would move once they ate. With inclement weather, all activities were inside (exercise, etc.) rather than pool deck, so that meant that no one was taking advantage of the exterior areas to eat. We didn't have dinner issues, in fact we loved the experience (even the other Diamonds lol).

So, the cluster continued at dinner. 10 people were assigned to a table that sat 6. I didn't volunteer to sit On dh's lap so someone had to move. At first, the Maitre de said (and I quote) "that is not possible". Then he carefully checked all our cards and low and behold.... It was possible. We moved. No big deal. Stuff happens. The "diamond" party of 16 that ended up at 3 tables on 2 different floors weren't so pleasant about the experience.

It must sound like I'm complaining, but honestly I'm not at all unhappy. This ship has some organizational issues thus far, but everyone has been pleasant and dinner wAs SUPERB! I had Caesar salad, horseradish crusted salmon, and carrot cake. Oh So Good!!

Rocky start usually means an incredible cruise (I just made that up, but I'm sticking with it) :)

We're on our way to Venice to spend a few days prior to boarding the Rhapsody of the Seas on Friday. I've been pestering all of the Venice cruisers for the past several months, so it's my turn to play it forward. Any questions you'd like me to look into? We're doing the 10 night itinerary with the following ports:

Corfu

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Kotor

Zadar

Clicking my heels.... hoping to wake up on the other side of the pond.

Enjoy your cruise !!!

Thank you for the information. We are booked for Sept/16 on the Rhapsody. Love your pictures. We are booked at the Archellaro (sp?) which is supposed to be on the canal near the train station. Hoping it will be as nice as your hotel.

1. Free walking tour for tips - Contact info to register?

2. As a seasoned cruiser (this is our first cruise) can you please tell us if there are any taxes or additional fees that will go on our account we should be aware of? We know if we buy drinks not on our drink package or eat in specialty restaurants we will pay extra or order late night room service. Our gratuities are prepaid and our drink package is prepaid.

Thank you so much. Enjoyed reading about your experiences. :)

0034dc94c5f3531652e0afd10aa6b247.jpg

Good morning from the beautiful calm waters of the Adriatic Sea. It's like glass out there this morning and we are sailing super slow on our way to santorini. Before I forget, let me address the questions.

Johnboy- the bands are both ok- but the entertainment team and the other guests on board have made this trip party central :-). Last night was 50s and 60s party, and The Centrum was packed from text four to eight with guests all participating in various dance competitions and such. Super fun party alosphere. Last nights show was piano man, but we missed it and took a nap before dinner instead :). From what I've seen so far, entertainment isn't going to be an issue for you. Rhapsody has a GREAT personality and I'm falling in love with her.

Happy feet: sorry, don't have the link handy but Google "free walking tours in Italy" or visit trip advisor for Venice. It's a top rated experience so you should have no trouble locating. If you can't I'll link when I get home.

I can't think of any surprises that will appear on your card based on what you have described :).

We were on deck 11 on the port side of Viking lounge. Get there 30 minutes early to secure spot along railing.

Before I describe our day in Corfu- let me post the compass from yesterday so I don't forget.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Sunday August 7th- Corfu, Greece 8-5.

To recap, we had an enormous amount of obc to burn and no formal plans in Corfu. I'm not big on ship tours, but at the last minute we decided to sign up for the Corfu island highlights tour (59.00 pp). Being last minute, the English speaking version of the tour was fully booked so we signed up for the Spanish speaking tour. We speak zero Spanish. Challenge accepted.

We arrived in Corfu on-time and managed to find the Spanish speaking meeting area of the theatre. We also figured out our bus number and obediently followed the popcycle to our awaiting coach. So far so good. We met our tour guide who went into a full blown panic attack when she realized she drew the "dumb gringo" card. Between the four busses going on this tour, she managed to find a group of 6 bilingual (aka more intelligent) people who accepted the Spanish speaking guides bribe to switch busses. We were teleported to the English speaking bus. Universe balanced.

After about 30 minutes we arrived at our first stop- paleokastria. We were given the typical 45 minutes to explore. DH managed to find a hill to conquer so I got my first all-terrain hike of the trip in. I love DH to the moon and back but this man can manage to find a mountain to climb in the middle of a corn field. I play along... Just much slower. Think torque.

Next stop was Buenavista which is the Italian word for hill with a view- this place Worked for me!

Next was an hours ride to the southern part of the island. The guide wAs very knowledgable about the history of Corfu from olive oil making to multiple Turkish invasions. Hubby ended up learning quite a bit. For me, a bus ride has about the same effect as 2 lunesta and a glass of wine. Needless to say, I don't remember much of the countryside.

Mouse island and the island church were ok to view. I don't feel compelled to return anytime soon. Buenavista is a different matter.

At the end of the tour we were given the option of being dropped off in town. Hubby saw the fortress on the sail in and it had a big hill so I already knew I'd be viewing the city from the peak.

We were offered to use the royal Caribbean bus transfer back to the ship complimentary. They charged 12.00 per person for the unlimited day pass bus- total rip as you can do the local bus for 1.5 euro. We returned at 4:14. Plenty of time to spare.