Rhapsody Mediterranean review including compasses, photos, and more

There was a garbage strike in Corfu a few weeks before we left. Apparently there are political problems with the dump on the island. Pictures on trip advisor showed mountains of garbage all over. Most of the garbage was picked up for our trip and the strike is over- this was the worst we saw, but it's worthy of keeping an eye on the situation before you leave as this is an ongoing problem.

ecf6bd2ba80f8055b06bea715e017209.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old fortress visit. Worth 6.00 entrance fee. Since I was paying I purchased hubby the 3.00 senior fare. He's not quite a senior, but i have to pay him back for all the death defying mountain climbing somehow.

1490de0ad223d93c3591c39240f89f34.jpg

Edited by BermudaBound2014

thanks for the update! Glad to see you guys are having a great time. Like you we sail on a variety of lines and always have fun. Doig our first MSC (new Seaside in 2018---can't wait!)

If you have time - Tell us about getting tender tickets for Santorini if you can (assume on the sea day prior to arrival - and if so what times to get in line/where). I figure us guys will have to stand in line asap when they start giving out the tickets (We have a private excursion and want to make sure we get a low number tender group.).

Thanks!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this live trip report! We are subscribed and following along closely as we are sailing on the Rhapsody on Oct 17th out of Venice, ending up in Rome!

If you have a second, would you mind posting a pic of the wine list they are currently offering (and prices)?

Thanks!

Edited by NewfieGuy1972

Hope you are having a wonderful cruise.

We are looking at Rhapsody for 2017 and are considering a Suite (special anniversary)and my husband now has mobility problems. Do you know what the perks are for Suite guests? Do they have breakfast in Chops for instance? Also does the elevator go right up to the Viking Crown Lounge?

thank you

Sunday August 7th cont...

The table debacle from night one has officially been solved. We are now at our new table (since the first table of six had 10 assigned). We have 4 absolutely wonderful table mates from the UK. Love them. Unfortunately, none of us loved the food tonight. It was certainly my least favorite meal (although the crab cakes were fantastic!- I should have just gotten an extra order for my entrée). Our waiter is Lyndan from Trinidad and busser Natalia from Brazil and they are excellent and really care about the service they provide. They address us by name and have DHs beer waiting. We had cilantro cod and it was just "ok". Not bad, but not fantastic like the rest of the meals. Cherries jubilee made up for it in the end. I won't starve.

We have late seating. By the time we left dinner, the 50s/60s party was in full swing. Super high participation. In fact, in my 20 plus cruises I can't ever remember a ship with higher energy. Certainly, Some is due to passenger make up, but I think it's coming from the crew who really love their job and continuously go out of their way to share positivity. Such a stark contrast to my last two cruises on MSC where the staff was much more removed and stoic in nature. I'm not saying MSC service was bad, but rhapsody is much more my style and since both ships have international passenger make-up, it's odd how much more friendly and energetic the passenger composition is on RCL (ncl and Princess too for that matter). Just an observation.

We ended up staying up until 2 am with new friends. After the 50s/60s party we moved to the schooner bar. One recommendation is that park cafe stay open a bit later. They close at 12:30 am and that's somewhat early. You don't need to offer much more t a light snack to keep folks happy, but there is zero food available after 12:30. Little chance I'll starve :)

Short entry- today was sea day. I spent the day in the solarium. Few things worth mentioning-

1) the pool police are out and equipped with post it notes. They put a post it on your chair with the time you leave for lunch. You are given 30 minutes which is a bit tight but much better than dealing with chair hogs. I certainly wish more ships would enact this policy.

2) ice cream machine doesn't always work but today they had an ice cream Sunday cart wheeling around the windjammer. Different flavor a and lots of toppings. I also appreciate the servers roaming around in the morning offering/filling coffee and juice. Service is still excellent.

3) dinner was again just ok. I had mahimahi and shrimp. First two nights were outstanding. Last two have been fair. I won't starve :).

4) tomorrow is santorini so we are calling it an early night. Didn't make it to the show but our table mates said it was an outstanding violinist. Tonight is Latin deck party- high energy. All in Spanish. Have I mentioned I speak zero Spanish?

I'll attach today's planners next. Btw- no tender tickets for santorini- first come first serve. I'll let you know how it works out.

Day 4 page 1

1c83f3a04945b9aa11d11ad11ef0576f.jpg

Hi I'm really enjoying your review. My husband and I got of Rhapsody as you boarded, so am able to say yes we did that etc. We loved every minute onboard ( apart from missing suitcases for the 1st 4 days ).

We especially enjoyed Athens and Santorini. We were 1 of only 2 ships in Santorini on the day but still had to wait 2 hours to come down on the cable car, the next day there was 6 !!.

I would recommend going to watch the act ' 4ever ' in the theatre towards the end of the cruise if they are booked. They were amazing.

Looking forward to the rest of the review.

Tuesday August 9th- spectacular day in santorini

No tender tickets required- first come first serve. We arrived in Santorini a bit early and cleared customs at 8:15. We happened to be leaving cabin exactly when captain announced we were clear so we walked down to deck one, walked right on first tender, and we were sitting on the tram by 8:30.

Our original plan was to take the speed boat to oia and hike back but since everything was going ahead of time I didn't want to have to wait for the ferry to fill. We decided to hike to oia and bus back.

The hike is only 5.5 miles. It is not particularly difficult although it is hot! There are a few steep inclines and slippery stones, but we took our time and lots of pictures. We arrived in oia at noon so I'm thinking it took is about 3 hours. We aren't spring chickens (both in our 50s) and In decent (not perfect) shape. This ended up being a Spectacular hike with amazing views! Highly recommend.

Did I mention it was hot? I mean it was steaming. We ended up stopping at a cliff side restaurant for a few beers and a gallon of water in Oia. I took a liter for the walk and it wasn't nearly enough. Took us awhile but we finally cooled down enough to want food. Shared an authentic Greek salad and tikutzmi (spelling disaster). Ended up staying there for a few hours enjoying drinks and a gorgeous view. Walked to the top of the hill (famous blue church) then caught the Fira-Oia bus back to town (1.80 euro pp). Bus dropped us off and Fira was a madhouse! We decided not to even check to see how long the tram line was and simply walked down with the donkeys. I read it was a terrible walk but did not find it all that bad. Most of the donkey poop was hard packed and dried (apparently donkey poop can mummify in 10 minutes in that heat). You had to watch your step a bit but it wasn't at all dangerous. It took us about 15 minutes. Hot, but not difficult.

Came back onboard and changed into swimsuit to cool off. It was 4:30. Park cafe was open and we had another little bite, went for a quick swim, and then took a nap before dinner. Heat was brutal but it was a FANTAStIC dAY!!! :)

Enjoyed dinner. Salmon appetizer and Blt salad as my main course. Motown party in the disco was decent (we're from Detroit area), ship seemed a bit quiet tonight not the rock out party. I think the Santorini heat did quite a few people in. Tomorrow is Athens quite early, so calling it an early night at midnight.

Hotel about half way between Fira and oia

6a7e700433a0939bb28777a8a562d122.jpg

Thanks for your write up on Santorini. Very high on my bucket list. I laughed about the "mummified" donkey poop but good to know since i won't be waiting hours on the cable car and might have to walk down those stairs.

enjoy the rest of your days.

Cathy Berg

Sorry, got a bit behind. Two very long days in a row. Yesterday was Athens. We got off the ship at 7:30 am. Purchased X80 tickets for $4.50 each. All day pass, good for metros and all buses. We only used the x80. Exit terminal, walk to left. You'll see a stand selling bus tickets. Purchase ticket and cross street. X80 pick up is just outside port gates. Very simple. Only two stops Acropolis or syntagma (parliament building). We exited at Acropolis. Cross street and walk away from bus stop. You'll see the Acropolis on top of the hill within a few minutes. We were there just as they opened (8 am). Line for tickets was about 15 minutes. We were at the top of the Acropolis by 8:30 and the crowds were not at all bad yet. It was hot but not scorching either. We spent a few hours on the hill and by the time we walked down it was super crowded. Be careful walking, we witnessed two falls as the marble is slippery. Acropolis tickets were $20 each. We then went to archeological museum at the bottom of the hill. $5.00 ticket. Spent several hours here as dh loves that stuff. I'll be honest, I found a chair and parked my fat- 3 cruises in 4 month- a** and enjoyed the air conditioning. It's sweltering in Athens. All that stone acts like a brick oven. I'm surprised some entrepreneur hasn't figured out how to bake pizza on it to sell tourists.

We then caught the x80 to to syntagma to see changing of the guards and got back to the ship about 4:30.

In retrospect, I'd recommend the yellow or blue hop on hop off bus over the x80. The x80 is cheaper, but the bus was packed so we stood both ways. Also, the hoho has commentary. The red hoho is $25 and pushed by the ship. The blue and yellow is only $15 and goes same places. IMHO it's worth the bit extra for the commentary; but if you just want cheap transport to the Acropolis and planka- the x80 is cheap and super convenient.

Today was Mykonos and we did a private sail. I'll catch up on details tomorrow As it is a sea day. I'll also post the compasses. In the meantime, here are a few pics from Athens:

the 559ecdb31cd42fabcb979ff960d8bea2.jpg