Lots of questions!

norwane

Hello~

Two of my friends and I will be doing a ladies week cruise on the Pride in January. :D It will be my first Carnival cruise, but I have been on RCI twice before. So, in the next few months, I'm sure I will have a boatload (pun intended! ;-) of questions, so I apologize in advance for being a PITA! :o

1. We are getting a suite on deck 6 in the AFT. How are the suites? I think I drew the short straw and will be getting the sofa. :rolleyes: How comfortable is that for sleeping?

2. My TA warned me against Carnival, saying that once people have gone on Carnival, they have never gone back - going to RCI,etc. instead. Is it really that bad?!

3. Are milkshakes included in Cheers? Where do you find them on the Pride, and how good are they really?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice! :)

Hubby and I were on the Pride in a VS Suite but up on deck #7. we had the wrap-balcony. My MIL slept on the sofa. She said it was quite comfortable for her(75 at the time).

I have 2 cruises scheduled on Carnival in February 2018. I have been on the Legend 3X, Victory 2X and the Pride 1X. The 2 scheduled are the Victory and the Sensation.

Love Carnival but wish they had fresh-water pools like Princess!!

Karen

I can speak to #2. Cruises are like any product with customers having preferences. I have sailed on Princess and Carnival. Carnival has been fun while I found Princess a little stuffy for my taste. It is all about what you like.

I can't tell you about suites, as I've never had one.

Couch is not bad, just keep in mind that it will be made back into the couch during the day. If you want a nap, you can just nap on the couch cushions. Otherwise you can have the cabin steward leave it as a bed the whole time (just ask).

I've really enjoyed my Carnival Cruises. They've been affordable, so I've been able to take more that I would have with other lines. I think a vacation is what you make of it, so go and have a great time!

I had Cheers recently on Triumph. Milkshakes are included. I got them from the café. Keep in mind that if you want to purchase Cheers, everyone in the cabin over 21 has to buy it.

Couch is not bad, just keep in mind that it will be made back into the couch during the day. If you want a nap, you can just nap on the couch cushions. Otherwise you can have the cabin steward leave it as a bed the whole time (just ask).

The 2 times we had the couch made into a bed, it stayed as a bed for the duration of the cruise.

OP, I found the couch to be a little firmer than the beds.

Hello~

Two of my friends and I will be doing a ladies week cruise on the Pride in January. :D It will be my first Carnival cruise, but I have been on RCI twice before. So, in the next few months, I'm sure I will have a boatload (pun intended! ;-) of questions, so I apologize in advance for being a PITA! :o

1. We are getting a suite on deck 6 in the AFT. How are the suites? I think I drew the short straw and will be getting the sofa. :rolleyes: How comfortable is that for sleeping?

2. My TA warned me against Carnival, saying that once people have gone on Carnival, they have never gone back - going to RCI,etc. instead. Is it really that bad?!

3. Are milkshakes included in Cheers? Where do you find them on the Pride, and how good are they really?

I'll speak to #2. I have sailed Carnival 8 times; hunny 4. We have #s 9 and 5coming up in September. TAs may get bonuses for selling certain cruises. Is another cruise line (one your TA likes better) offering them a free cruise if they book so many people on them? Also, your TA isn't offering any evidence to avoid Carnival. Have they even sailed a Carnival ship? If they haven't I would not believe a damn word they said about Carnival. Bottom line, they're trying to steer you to something else. I would wonder why and what they're getting out if it.

Hello~

I've done 10 cruises on Carnival and 1 on RCL. Except for the spectacular shows on RCL, I prefer Carnival. I don't need all the other RCL bells and whistles. Give me a good cabin, plenty of sea days (I cruise for sea days!), and some decent food and I'm good. As they say, " Your mileage may vary."

I can't speak to the suites, because we've never felt the need to book one. We book premium balcony cabins which are nearly like a suite, but without the double sinks and the bathtub. They generally cost a little more than a regular balcony and quite a bit less than a suite.

We love the Spirit Class ships. The Pride belongs to that class. They are very easy to get around, not too big, not too small - great layout. They have a Serenity area at the back with a pool and hot tub and also 2 midship pools - one with a retractable roof. Of all the ships I've sailed on it's my favorite! The crew is great - best on any ship. I've been on the Triumph, the Victory, the Legend, the Miracle, the Splendor and RCL Voyager of the Seas.

I don't get the Cheers package or the milkshakes, but I highly recommend the Mocha Chocolate Getaway :)

Hope you have an awesome cruise!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Your questions are being answered so the only advice I have it to fire your TA since she doesn't know what she's talking about. I heard the same **** years ago and avoided Carnival until I met a couple and they told me the rumors were unfounded. We are looking forward to our 17 or 18th Carnival cruise. We cruise them all (except the big bucks lines like Cunard, silver sea etc.) so we know.

I think your TA is trying to make a buck. Carnival is cheaper so her commission is less.

We asked lots of friends before we booked our first cruise. One couple, who are very active outdoor enthusiasts, gave us the best rundown. They have done Carnival, NCL, and Princess. They like Carnival the best... because you know what you are getting price-wise, people are more outgoing and social, and there are more shore excursions, laid back vibe and not stuffy. They said NCL was great but nickels and dimes you to death, so by end of cruise you have $$$ bill. They said Princess was nice but snore time.

Since they have a similar lifestyle as us, very active and adventurous, we knew that their recommendation of Carnival would fit US best. They were right.... we are headed this month for our 5th cruise in 2 years!

As far as using a TA. I still don't get it. The internet is so easy to use now. All the cruise lines websites are easy to navigate. You can do mock reservations on any of them to pick a room, get a price, change rooms, get that price.... I do it all the time.

Cheers package...we don't get it. Just drinks as we go. My DH will have 3-4 beers a day, maybe a coctail, but I only have one adult bev per day. That is my choice. So both being forced to buy it would be a waste of money for us.

As some others have offered, Milkshakes are included in cheers...

If you get them just as milkshakes they do NOT count against your 15 drink limit on cheers a day. (same as specialty coffees if you like them as well)

If you have them add some extra "kick" to make it an adult milkshake, it does count toward your 15.

I found them to be tasty, I had two on my last 5 day cruise... (one adult one regular ) I just could not have anymore with all the other good stuff to eat and drink.

You will get them at the coffee shop, which is probably on deck 5, but I have not been on your ship. Just ask when onboard or look at the deck plan on Carnivals website to find out the exact location.

Have fun!

The couch is fine as a bed, actually it is exactly twin size. they will keep it as a bed, and if you want to sit on it, just hunt up where the steward stuck the back bolster and put it back on. (probably under the bed) I was on a couch on the Legend. It was fine, and I am old.. lol

Enjoy the cruise, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Your TA clearly has some kind of bias if they are giving you incorrect information. Lot sand lots (thousands) of folks sail Carnival more than once.

We have sailed on a number of lines and will continue to do so as I find brand loyalty ludicrous and for us, pointless. Having said that we like Carnival fine and think overall (will vary ship by ship)they compare well to Royal.

On the Pride, milkshakes are available at the coffee shop on deck 2 forward and at the coffee kiosk near the aft elevators at the entrance to the buffet area. Check the fun times for times for both of the locations - one is always open but both are rarely open at the same time.

And the Pride is a great ship. Great crew, great service, great everything.

We sail Carnival, Royal, Celebrity and Disney. There's none that I won't sail again and mix things up regularly.

Go and enjoy!

So I've only been on one Carnival Cruise but I wanted add my thoughts anyway (lol!) in regards to your TA. They have told you something that is demonstrably not true. We can only guess at their motivation but it was said either from ignorance or from biased self-interest. There is nothing inherently wrong with self-interest provided you don't lie and possibly adversely affect someone else who is spending thousands of dollars for something they are depending on you to accurately portray so they can make informed decisions.

So your TA is either ignorant or a liar. I'd fire them too.

Like someone said, the Carnival site (and all the others I've looked at) are easy to navigate and compare cruises and options. I didn't use a TA for my first cruise and I did just fine. We had a blast and can't wait to get on another one ASAP.

I might use a TA in the future if they can find me a better deal than I can find but I am actually more interested in the Carnival PVP. I didn't have one last time but I think it might be nice to build a relationship with someone that can learn my tastes and guide me in the right direction and has an inside connection to the Carnival system to help resolve any issues that might come up... If a TA can do all that without adding to my cost (which means it would have to come out of Carnival's end as I don't expect the TA to work for free) then maybe we can talk. But it would absolutely HAVE to be a TA who didn't lie to me.

Edited by originalgeek

Hello~

Can answer #2:

Both lines are very similar in many areas, but do differ in others.. same level of service in dining room and w/stewards. Food is similar in buffet and in dining room. Royal will give you better shows which are high quality, las vegas style shows. Carnival used to have that, but they have declined within the last few years. I've had terrific cruises with Carnival and no complaints whatsoever. I just got off the Allure of the Seas, and truly nothing compares to the uniqueness of that ship, but I did find some areas that were lacking.

Carnival's vibe is always "fun and energenic". Their ships are quite "alive" at night...and late into the evening hours with lots of people still up and about. On Royal, things tend to quiet down a bit, and you see less folks out and about in the late evening hours.

Royal's solarium adult pool is lovely. Carnival's serenity adult area only has not tubs (no pool).

You'll also notice a difference in the "decor" of the ships. Not sure what Carnival ship you are on, but it has more of a "Las Vegas" decor feeling (other than the the Breeze and Vista, which have taken on a new look and feel).

Regardless, you're on vacation...so relax and have fun!

Hi all!

Thanks for all of your responses! It does make me feel better to know that it is not as bad as my TA had led me to believe.

Couple of other questions - any tips on how to handle it when only 2 of the 3 people in the cabin want the Cheers? With 4 ports, my friend just doesn't think she would get her money's worth. I can see her point, so I'm on the fence.

Secondly, my cats write the Christmas letter every year, and I was thinking about having them write a review after our cruise. Would I get mocked and jeered? The cats are very sensitive to criticism! :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Hi all!

Thanks for all of your responses! It does make me feel better to know that it is not as bad as my TA had led me to believe.

Couple of other questions - any tips on how to handle it when only 2 of the 3 people in the cabin want the Cheers? With 4 ports, my friend just doesn't think she would get her money's worth. I can see her point, so I'm on the fence.

Secondly, my cats write the Christmas letter every year, and I was thinking about having them write a review after our cruise. Would I get mocked and jeered? The cats are very sensitive to criticism! :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Why would you get mocked and jeered if your cats wrote the review? that wouldn't seem fair.

If they're feline funky just have them paws and reflect upon the trip and then attack that review. Your good standing should not be affected by their scratchings. ;):D

Hi all!

Thanks again!

The 3 who want Cheers pay her portion split between them.

Hello~

My TA warned me against Carnival, saying that once people have gone on Carnival, they have never gone back - going to RCI,etc. instead. Is it really that bad?!

short answer....you TA is a liar and personally, I would not do business with this person.

The Pride's Serenity area have a (small) pool and a hot tub.

TA is giving you a line. Carnival pays (or paid)!a touch less commission. Also TA's cannot entice pax with gimmees as the other lines allow.

If Carnival was so bad, they wouldn't have the largest fleet of cruise ships in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We aren't "loyal" to any particular cruise line, and have sailed all the majors, except Princess & Disney.

That said, I've seen the suites on Royal & NCL and Carnival cannot touch them. IF (big if) I were in a position to book a suite, I would probably not do so on Carnival -

However, we are in LOVE (big love!) with Cloud9 and book the Cloud9 Spa balcony cabins almost exclusively now.

We have found that the other lines are more expensive than Carnival lately, and not by a small amount either. We aren't drinkers so throwing in a "free" beverage package is lost on us.

We are also fans of the more relaxed atmosphere on Carnival -

One tip for sleeping on the couch, which I find to be comfy. Ask you room steward to put the same bedding that is on the beds, on the couch. Otherwise you will get a blanket that doesn't even compare to the soft, snuggly, white ones. :).