Viking Ocean Cruises promotion ...

FM

Received a phone call back from a Viking rep (different person from the one I spoke to several times last week) asking if we were still interested in the Viking Sky Caribbean itinerary. We were waiting until August 1st to see if a different promotion was being offered ... but it continues to be the "Free Air Included" promotion now lasting till the end of August.

This time, the rep spoke with the flight department to see about the possibility of air upgrades (previously no chance of Premium Economy or Business Air) from Canada. He called back and said that for an extra $2390 CAD per person, then they could arrange Business Air when booking it next year. In addition, he clarified that the quote of $899 CAD for the 2 night pre-extension stay in NY was per person / not per booking. Plus he was able to offer the ability to pay off the balance of the cruise booking six months prior to sail date as opposed to the full payment required one month after booking. Plus he offered the 3% discount that is available if you pay through "e-chequing" ...

Despite all of that though, we had to decline proceeding with a booking as the upgraded air costs/hotel package they offered is just too expensive. The best scenario would just be a cruise booking only where we would handle our own air/hotel. We could still book at the full price listed ... but it does not make sense as we would not use the free air, so what would the benefit be.

Question is has Viking ever offered any promotion (cruise booking only discounts etc) other than "free air" included? If they could offset the stated price they provide for the "free air" from the cruise price, then I would book it in an instant. As such, if the "free air" is the only type of promo offered for Ocean cruises, then we'll have to give up the chance to cruise on Viking ...

Thanks ...

They have offered free gratuities on some cruises, however right now it is only free air....which isn't attractive to us either. That said the cruise we are looking at is booking up - and as cabin categories sell out, pricing jumps quickly...so it is a gamble.....we would rather be in charge of our air travel so the free air is not a hook for us.....gratuities would have been and we missed that window.

Everyone has different areas that will be more important than others. Good luck with your decision. I will say that we very much enjoyed Viking Oceans as well as Rivers.

Received a phone call back from a Viking rep (different person from the one I spoke to several times last week) asking if we were still interested in the Viking Sky Caribbean itinerary. We were waiting until August 1st to see if a different promotion was being offered ... but it continues to be the "Free Air Included" promotion now lasting till the end of August.

This time, the rep spoke with the flight department to see about the possibility of air upgrades (previously no chance of Premium Economy or Business Air) from Canada. He called back and said that for an extra $2390 CAD per person, then they could arrange Business Air when booking it next year. In addition, he clarified that the quote of $899 CAD for the 2 night pre-extension stay in NY was per person / not per booking. Plus he was able to offer the ability to pay off the balance of the cruise booking six months prior to sail date as opposed to the full payment required one month after booking. Plus he offered the 3% discount that is available if you pay through "e-chequing" ...

Despite all of that though, we had to decline proceeding with a booking as the upgraded air costs/hotel package they offered is just too expensive. The best scenario would just be a cruise booking only where we would handle our own air/hotel. We could still book at the full price listed ... but it does not make sense as we would not use the free air, so what would the benefit be.

Question is has Viking ever offered any promotion (cruise booking only discounts etc) other than "free air" included? If they could offset the stated price they provide for the "free air" from the cruise price, then I would book it in an instant. As such, if the "free air" is the only type of promo offered for Ocean cruises, then we'll have to give up the chance to cruise on Viking ...

Thanks ...

We did get a price reduction for the New England cruise in lieu of free air...

They have offered free gratuities on some cruises, however right now it is only free air....which isn't attractive to us either. That said the cruise we are looking at is booking up - and as cabin categories sell out, pricing jumps quickly...so it is a gamble.....we would rather be in charge of our air travel so the free air is not a hook for us.....gratuities would have been and we missed that window.

Everyone has different areas that will be more important than others. Good luck with your decision. I will say that we very much enjoyed Viking Oceans as well as Rivers.

Thanks ... it seems that Viking is interested on trying to get us to book as they have phoned back several times ... but it'll have to be under a different promo than the "free air" - will check back on Sept 1st to see if a new promo is out ...

We did get a price reduction for the New England cruise in lieu of free air...

That is great ... when did you book that sailing?

Thanks ... it seems that Viking is interested on trying to get us to book as they have phoned back several times ... but it'll have to be under a different promo than the "free air" - will check back on Sept 1st to see if a new promo is out ...

That is great ... when did you book that sailing?

Just a few weeks ago/

I got a new catalogue in the mail today and the current promotion is "Ask For BCH" and the cabin prices are reduced but the air is full brochure price. Anyone who wants to handle their own air arrangements might want to call Viking and see what's available. I inquired about Southern Mediterranean Discovery next winter, a 7 night cruise from Rome to Barcelona, and the least expensive veranda category starts at $1,399 (minus any loyalty discount if eligible).

FM, call a TA. Mine routinely discounts Viking 15%. Plus she has different offers from the pubicized ones. A TA may be able to get you a good deal.

You have found a good TA.

Finally, I have decided on my first Vking Ocean Crusie.

It is the Viking Sky transatlantic in April 2018!

I am researching TAs right now. The online one I talked to today did not even have it listed in their own offers,too far out. She did say that deposit is $500. pp and Viking requires full payment 180 day before sailing( 6months apprx).

Have a email into a travel writer who I follow on Twitter, to recommend a TA that has expereince dealing with Viking Ocean.

Viking Sky will not be in the water until 2017. This itinerary is perfect for the two of us who are interested in lot of sea days on a Viking ship. The ports are new to us too except for Barcelona which I visited this summer for fours day before my most recent cruise.

I will now read this forum avidly for the next year and more.:)

Edited by Azulann

If you look at the cabin pricing between the July river cruises with free air and the August discounted fare where you pay extra for air, the total price paying for the air and cruise is about $100 - 200 more than the free air price for many of the cruises. Wonder if the ocean cruises are the same? We get many more river cruise brochures.

Carol

FM, call a TA. Mine routinely discounts Viking 15%. Plus she has different offers from the pubicized ones. A TA may be able to get you a good deal.

Viking looks like it would be a great experience with the brand new "Sky" coming online soon. Even though I like the port-intensive itinerary, we've been to almost all of the Caribbean destinations so we wouldn't spend as much time on land . DW worries if I would be too bored (especially during the evenings) onboard when compared to the other cruise lines we are looking at ... like RCL Anthem of the Seas, NCL Breakaway Haven class ... or back to DCL.

Had an opportunity to speak to our TA last Friday to get her opinion of Viking ... and also received an email/phone call from Viking with an updated offer ... but haven't had a chance to do much checking into it yet as have been too busy so will try to give it a go tonight and "crunch the numbers" ...

I found Richard Solent's blog about the Viking ocean ship to be very helpful in giving an overview of what to expect. Just search his name, click on cruise reviews on his page, then scroll down listing on left " Viking Star." Lots of pictures and descriptions.

I found Richard Solent's blog about the Viking ocean ship to be very helpful in giving an overview of what to expect. Just search his name, click on cruise reviews on his page, then scroll down listing on left " Viking Star." Lots of pictures and descriptions.

Thank you ... it was quite informative.

BTW ... not sure what Viking calls their Daily Planners / Navigators etc ... but does anyone have a link to a sample of what the daily schedule is like aboard the Star on a port day and a day at sea ... thanks ...

Just booked the Viking Sky April 2018 transatlantic from San Juan to Barcelona.

Got the promotion of $599. air for this cruise.

Having just returned from Europe last month the airfare was not cheap even when we booked 10 monhs out.

This promotion is a good deal for us. We will use deviation option to get the flights we want with a added $100, still be a good deal for us.