Sorrento or Capri? Help!!

Lucia13

Hi guys!

We are off on our first cruise for our honeymoon next year. When we dock at Salerno we are going to take one of the Royal carribbean trips - either Sorrento "on your own" or Capri "on your own". But we are having a hard time deciding which to choose having never been to either place and both looking so amazing! Can anyone who has been to both give us some advice - we are in our mid twenties and don't necessarily want to sight see just shop, go to different bars, grab some lunch, maybe visit a beach (not the be all and end all)

Thanks

:)

We were in Sorrento, didn't spend too much time since we saw other sights, but it didn't seem there was that much. It was a nice town. The cathedral was lovely. But it seems that Capri had a lot more to offer. We didn't have time for Capri, but I still want to go there. There seemed to be quite a bit in Capri and it's very famous.

Hi guys!

We are off on our first cruise for our honeymoon next year. When we dock at Salerno we are going to take one of the Royal carribbean trips - either Sorrento "on your own" or Capri "on your own". But we are having a hard time deciding which to choose having never been to either place and both looking so amazing! Can anyone who has been to both give us some advice - we are in our mid twenties and don't necessarily want to sight see just shop, go to different bars, grab some lunch, maybe visit a beach (not the be all and end all)

Thanks

:)

Sorry, I didn't read your post well enough! If you don't want to sightsee, then Sorrento might be better for the activities you describe. There was lots of restaurants and places like that. I don't know if there is a beach.

There is no real beach at Sorrento, they have bathing platforms. These are wide walkways perched on rocks with ladders down to the water. You can rent sunbeds to use on the platforms.

Capri has several beaches but not wide, sandy ones. I don't know where the OP is from but I know that Americans accustomed to the wide, long sandy beaches of Florida, Southern California, or even New Jersey must adjust their expectations when traveling to Italy.

Edited by euro cruiser

There is no real beach at Sorrento, they have bathing platforms. These are wide walkways perched on rocks with ladders down to the water. You can rent sunbeds to use on the platforms.

Capri has several beaches but not wide, sandy ones. I don't know where the OP is from but I know that Americans accustomed to the wide, long sandy beaches of Florida, Southern California, or even New Jersey must adjust their expectations when traveling to Italy.

Certainly not in the places you mentioned, but I can assure you there are some gorgeous wide, long, sandy beaches in Italy ;)

Yes, there are some but they are the very small minority and the OP is not going to find them in either Sorrento or Capri.

Americans are spoiled with mile after mile of deep, sandy beaches. My point is that, for the most part, if they don't adjust their expectations they are bound to be disappointed by the beaches they find in Italy. Not that they aren't lovely, but they are different.

Yeah, we yanks are a prickly bunch. I was sitting in the Milan airport and overheard someone say that they couldn't wait to get home because they didn't know how to make pizza in Italy... :eek::confused::eek:

I've spent a couple of weeks in Sorrento and have visited Capri twice.

I'd vote for Capri every time based on the OP's wish list. No great beaches, but you can take a boat around the island and/or visit the famous Blue Grotto; you can take the chairlift, you can shop and eat a very pleasant lunch in Capri town, you can hike up to the Villa Jovis to see Roman ruins and great views, you can visit Axel Munthe's restored villa....

Yeah, we yanks are a prickly bunch. I was sitting in the Milan airport and overheard someone say that they couldn't wait to get home because they didn't know how to make pizza in Italy... :eek::confused::eek:
LOL - yes, or coffee (even though Italy is where Howard Schultz got the idea for Starbucks).

I'm seriously dying over that one! Holy cow. I can't imagine that. I am going through pizza withdrawal over here. I miss 20 options and buying pizza by the weight not the slice. Every pizza I had over there was wonderful.

Back to the original posts...

• 9 months later...

Hi, have you considered taking a private boat tour to Capri?

Depending on the time and tour you want to make, you may find cheap prices. There are also group boat excursions to capri , which are very cheap.

This is the link to the website where I booked www.excursionboatsorrento.com.

I found myself very well, I hope to be of help to you.

Edited by klem603

We have never been big fans of Sorrento. While there is a touristy area that is OK for tourists, it is basically a busy small city where folks who live along the Amalfi coast go to do their pre school shopping :). And by the way, a good part of Sorrento does close in the afternoon...so if you want to shop in that city...do it before 1pm.

Capri is a favorite of many (including DW) and also a destination place for many jet setters and we would suggest heading to that island...although it is a pretty long boat ride from Salerno.

Hank

We did Capri tour with RCCL last September , normally not a fan of RCCL tours but this was really nice with plenty of time on your own , ferry to Capri had fantastic view of Amalfi coast, would do same tour again ( we were on Brilliance)