Possible Huricane Earl and Belize

CruiseNwill

If belize is hammered with the pending upgrade to a hurricane (and it has its sights set straight on belize) will they re route the ships from that port next week? I ask because i heard that that excursions will be canceled because of floods and flooded roads. If you cant do excursions in belize there inst really anything to do there.

If belize is hammered with the pending upgrade to a hurricane (and it has its sights set straight on belize) will they re route the ships from that port next week? I ask because i heard that that excursions will be canceled because of floods and flooded roads. If you cant do excursions in belize there inst really anything to do there.

Other than a bunch of shops at the port not much nearby. City of Belize is considered dangerous and we would not go walking there.

They will not risk passengers and ship and crew with hurricane so they would probably take you elsewhere or just a day at sea.

Other than a bunch of shops at the port not much nearby. City of Belize is considered dangerous and we would not go walking there.

They will not risk passengers and ship and crew with hurricane so they would probably take you elsewhere or just a day at sea.

That was my point but i was wondering if a hurricane hit tomorrow if the cruise line would take people there say Monday Tuesday Wed or Thursday of next week.

I doubt Carnival would call on a port that is so damaged excursions are cancelled.

Yea it wouldnt necessarily be so "damaged" its just their infrastructure is poor and rivers flood and road close because of mud slides and flooding. I guess its just a wait and see.

Yea it wouldnt necessarily be so "damaged" its just their infrastructure is poor and rivers flood and road close because of mud slides and flooding. I guess its just a wait and see.

Cave tubing right after a hurricane would be quite an experience. ...

When I said that on our cruise, when the INLAND excursions - ziplining, cave tubing, ruins - were all canceled due to roads being washed out and rivers too deep, all the outer island excursions still happened. We did a snorkel tour and had fun, even though is was drizzling rain all day and the vis was not the best.

Ok so...if it's a Class 1Hurricane or a almost hurricane TS, and it hits right down the middle of it's projected track, it'll go right over the Belize Zoo and the cave tubing site. Probably hurt Harvest Caye more than Belize City but no ships scheduled there until the 17th. It'll hit early Thursday. And move quickly meaning lots of rain and flash flooding but it'll be long gone by Friday. Next two ships to Belize City aren't due until Monday (Carnival Freedom) and Tuesday (Carnival Dream) next week. Both of those ships will know well in advance if they are going to be able to anchor there and if not change itineraries or do another Fun Day at Sea. So unless it gets really, really bad with higher winds and then it stalls tonight or really slows down, Cruisers aren't going to be that affected for most excursions.

Ok so...if it's a Class 1Hurricane or a almost hurricane TS, and it hits right down the middle of it's projected track, it'll go right over the Belize Zoo and the cave tubing site. Probably hurt Harvest Caye more than Belize City but no ships scheduled there until the 17th. It'll hit early Thursday. And move quickly meaning lots of rain and flash flooding but it'll be long gone by Friday. Next two ships to Belize City aren't due until Monday (Carnival Freedom) and Tuesday (Carnival Dream) next week. Both of those ships will know well in advance if they are going to be able to anchor there and if not change itineraries or do another Fun Day at Sea. So unless it gets really, really bad with higher winds and then it stalls tonight or really slows down, Cruisers aren't going to be that affected for most excursions.

Actually, the Freedom isn't in Belize until Tuesday.

Cave tubing right after a hurricane would be quite an experience. ...

"Feel the rush of cool water as you meander down small rapids and through the caves." becomes a 5 minute excursion!

"Feel the rush of cool water as you meander down small rapids and through the caves." becomes a 5 minute excursion!

actually, as I recall, a cruiser died doing that about a dozen years ago as the excursion wasn't canceled when the water levels were very high. I think she hit her head inside a cave. As I said... this was quite a few years ago, lessons learned.

its tuesday and wednesday

09-Aug-163700Carnival Freedom10-Aug-16 3646Carnival Dream

Carnival will not take passengers to a port that isn't safe for it's passengers. If an area is hit fairly hard by tropical weather, Carnival Corp usually sends in supplies and resources to help the locals as a priority and doesn't consider calling a ship there until the situation is stabilized to the point that passengers can be safely accommodated. I've seen Carnival ship staff on shore pitching in on the recovery effort, but only after certain things occur to make calling safe and reasonably enjoyable for passengers. None of that can be predicted on the front end.

So for now just pray for the people of Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, and Mexico.

We can worry about our cruises later when everyone is safe.

Safe travels to all.

When would carnival notify passengers on those sailings if a port is being skipped, substituted or still a go? I'm cruising later in hurricane season and I've been wondering this...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Depends on the circumstances. They notify as soon as they know. Sometimes that means while onboard through an intercom announcement. Sometimes in advance if they know an area has been hit hard and not allowing incoming traffic. They tell passengers when they know.

actually, as I recall, a cruiser died doing that about a dozen years ago as the excursion wasn't canceled when the water levels were very high. I think she hit her head inside a cave. As I said... this was quite a few years ago, lessons learned.

I remember that. It was a Carnival excursion too.

We have done it privately and surprised to see our guide was much more hands on than the Carnival ones.

They will go else where.

Feel sure no ships will be in Belize tomorrow (8-4-16) since it's getting a direct hit from Earl.

Hoping there won't be too much damage.

Weather channel said they had landfall at 1 a.m. cat. 1, winds 80 mph., now going past the area. Lots of water damage.

its tuesday and wednesday

:o my bad looking at a tiny calendar. But nevertheless, more time for runoff and flooding to subside.

09-Aug-163700Carnival Freedom10-Aug-16 3646Carnival Dream

Weather channel said they had landfall at 1 a.m. cat. 1, winds 80 mph., now going past the area. Lots of water damage.

I think it came ashore south of Belize City but passed over nearer the cave tubing and Belize Zoo sites. Rain and water are the bigger threats to residents in Belize. I would suspect anyone in Belize next week wanting to do cave tubing will find it a bit Butts Wet, but tubable. Altun Ha will probably be okay. Xunantunich might have runoff flooding issues getting across the river, assuming the Western Highway isn't torn up. Lamanai could be iffy as its just now getting the storm and it's a trek to get there and road conditions might not be good. Snorkeling, as always , would still be great on the cayes.