Regent communication and marketing issues

And then there are those of us who never receive anything. No newsletter, no brochures, absolutely nothing. (We're silver.)

There were two of us on the Regent board that were in the same position - never received anything. When I contacted Regent, there was some notation in my file that I did not want to receive mailings (I did not request this). This was subsequently fixed and it will take six weeks until our mailings begin. The other poster indicated that her problem was the same as mine and is now fixed.

There were two of us on the Regent board that were in the same position - never received anything. When I contacted Regent, there was some notation in my file that I did not want to receive mailings (I did not request this). This was subsequently fixed and it will take six weeks until our mailings begin. The other poster indicated that her problem was the same as mine and is now fixed.

I thought you told us previously that you had opted out of mailings:

A solution could be to stop mail from Regent but sign up for emails. That is what we have. When I wanted a brochure/book, I ordered it online.

IMO, with the number of specials, promotions, etc. that Regent comes out with (daily or several times per week), it could be difficult to specify exactly which ones are wanted.

Post 96 from http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2324133&page=5

I thought you told us previously that you had opted out of mailings:

Post 96 from http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2324133&page=5

Not sure what you wanted me to look at......however, did you notice post #94 where I stated: "P.S. It would really help if more people actually read the rssc.com website. While I have no need to stop mailings, I did have a question and used the link on the website and received an answer within hours. Also used the website to order the "book" and received it exactly when the website said that I would receive it."?

I have always believed that people that want to opt out of mailings should be able to do so. And, there may have been a few days where I have become frustrated with Regent, however, I have never attempted to stop mail or emails.

P.S. I do understand how you can misconstrue the quoted paragraph. We did receive emails but not mail which is not something I requested but is what we had. On the other hand, it seemed that my DH was receiving emails and I was not. To be honest, I don't remember - possibly because I didn't care whether we received them or not. We are Regent customers and get most of the information we need from our TA (including price changes, changes in itineraries, etc.). The only mail that I really enjoy referencing periodically is the annual (perhaps semi-annual) book that is put out.

Edited by Travelcat2

Boy, wouldn't it be nice to be able to get the big book and maybe a few of the 'full-size' catalogs without being inundated with the smaller mailings every 20 minutes or so? Maybe someday...

Edited by UUNetBill

Boy, wouldn't it be nice to be able to get the big book and maybe a few of the 'full-size' catalogs without being inundated with the smaller mailings every 20 minutes or so? Maybe someday...

I second that. I would love to get only the one big catalog and maybe one other catalog per quarter. I keep the big one on hand but immediately toss out all the small mailings.

Thanks, Mike.

Not quite sure what 'system limitations' means but presumably it is a polite way of saying "no can do"

Well since IT scope is only limited by money and people, then one or both are missing. And since they are missing, you can assume that it hasn't been a priority of the company's leadership to provide funds and staff to do the work. If it was a priority, the funds and resources would have been found by pulling it from a different department.

Just put 3 pieces of Regent marketing from today's mail in the recycle bin. Haven't sailed Regent in 8 years and still get deluged with this stuff. At least I got them to stop the phone calls when I told them I would never sail on a cruise that had any association with FDR.

Just put 3 pieces of Regent marketing from today's mail in the recycle bin. Haven't sailed Regent in 8 years and still get deluged with this stuff. At least I got them to stop the phone calls when I told them I would never sail on a cruise that had any association with FDR.

Wow - what a harsh statement. Have you tried following the suggestion of Mike Moore in terms of getting yourself off of the mailing lists?

I am puzzled about "phone calls" as we have received one phone call in 11 years. Fortunately you were able to stop them (I have an easier way of stopping unwanted phone calls - I simply press the "block" button on my telephone).

While I find Frank Del Rio to be a genius when it comes to building successful cruise lines (and no - he was not responsible for the demise of Renaissance), I understand that some people may not like him. After all, everyone has different likes and dislikes. Our feeling is the opposite of yours...... if FDR were no longer CEO of Regent we would give the new person a chance but would likely stop cruising completely.

At least I got them to stop the phone calls when I told them I would never sail on a cruise that had any association with FDR.

While I find Frank Del Rio to be a genius when it comes to building successful cruise lines (and no - he was not responsible for the demise of Renaissance), I understand that some people may not like him. After all, everyone has different likes and dislikes. Our feeling is the opposite of yours...... if FDR were no longer CEO of Regent we would give the new person a chance but would likely stop cruising completely.

Both of these proposed actions seem somewhat extreme :confused:

Personally I do not care who is the CEO of a cruiseline as long as they run an efficient organisation with a well motivated management team; the company needs to remain customer focussed and thereby maximise returns for its shareholders

Personally I do not care who is the CEO of a cruiseline as long as they run an efficient organisation with a well motivated management team; the company needs to remain customer focussed and thereby maximise returns for its shareholders

I agree with you completely. I expect the cruise line to deliver what they promise and what I pay for.

Unfortunately on my last two cruises with Regent I didn't receive what was promised with last minute changes for their benefit and not for the enhancement of the trip. They have tarnished their brand with the treatment of the passengers in this way.

Edited by bigboofer

And therein lies the conundrum: In order to maximize shareholder return, one must by definition keep costs low. Keeping costs low inevitably causes problems with service. Finding the proper balance has been the goal of every business. Those who achieve that goal prosper, those who don't...don't.

And flossie, I agree - the name of the person occupying the CEO's office makes no difference to me whatsoever. As long as I still feel that I'm getting an adequate return on my vacation dollars, I'll continue to sail Regent.

In order to maximize shareholder return, one must by definition keep costs low

I do not totally agree

To maximise shareholder return the company must try to maximise margins i.e. the difference between revenue and cost. So it does not just have to be about cutting costs, albeit most accountants only ever look at that side of the equation when the going gets tough

Particularly in the luxury cruise market cost cutting is liable to drive many of the target customers away, whereas many are still willing to spend a few dollars more if they feel they are getting something truly 'special' for their money

Obviously costs must not be allowed to go unchecked; ensuring efficiency and removing unnecessary extravagance & waste is the key

Revenues are proving difficult for the luxury cruiselines at present - due to a drop in travel, caused by unrest in various parts of the world, coupled with excess capacity

IMO the luxury cruiseline that sets itself apart by exceptional service will do better in the coming months & years than those that take the pruning shears to costs

And therein lies the conundrum: In order to maximize shareholder return, one must by definition keep costs low. Keeping costs low inevitably causes problems with service. Finding the proper balance has been the goal of every business. Those who achieve that goal prosper, those who don't...don't.

And flossie, I agree - the name of the person occupying the CEO's office makes no difference to me whatsoever. As long as I still feel that I'm getting an adequate return on my vacation dollars, I'll continue to sail Regent.

Bill, my statement was extreme but is based upon having sailed Radisson/Regent under private ownership, PCH ownership, NCHL ownership with Sheehan as CEO and NCHL as it is now. IMO, Regent under private ownership was great but they were basically "giving away the farm". Guests loved everything about Radisson/Regent - received loads of gifts while the ships were not being maintained, were running half-full at times and even the sheets and towels were becoming threadbare.

Regent under PCH at first was a shock - even I was ready to bail due to all of the changes. Then I watched as they invested multi-millions of dollars into the ships and even though prices rose, Regent became a quality cruise line.

More recently, when NCHL purchased Regent and Oceania, Regent employees were being fired left and right (not unusual I suppose) and strong rumors suggested cutbacks in food on Oceania and Regent. For whatever reason(s), the Board of Directors (or whomever the CEO reports to) must have seen the writing on the wall and suddenly Sheehan was gone and FDR was CEO. I believe strongly that it was his leadership that has kept Oceania and Regent as close to the same as it was prior to being purchased by NCHL as possible.

It is also under current ownership and management that finally built the first ship in the Regent fleet in well over 10 years (with another one due in 2020). Also under current ownership and management, it seems that more money is being put into the ships than ever before. IMO, the food costs must have increased when the new CR menu was debuted -- after all, offering lobster and Filet Mignon every day had to add to costs. Heck, even the uniforms for all crew members have been updated - all of which increases costs.

In addition to the above, we have completed our bucket list and are now just cruising because we enjoy cruising - not for the ports. My DH and I have already talked about retiring from cruising when FDR retires. It is as good a time as any and we are over putting up with changes as the result of ownership changes.

Bill, do you (or anyone else) know if all three NCHL brands declined in profits equally or if one had more difficulty than the others?

Edited by Travelcat2

Bill, do you (or anyone else) know if all three NCHL brands declined in profits equally or if one had more difficulty than the others?

If you want to discuss profits and losses it would be well to start a new thread rather than taking this thread off topic. Whether there is a profit or loss, communication and marketing problems can still be corrected or minimized.

If you want to discuss profits and losses it would be well to start a new thread rather than taking this thread off topic. Whether there is a profit or loss, communication and marketing problems can still be corrected or minimized.

Agree but I did not bring up the subject of stockholders!

In a highly competitive market Regent needs to have top-notch marketing and communication skills. Based on what I read here and what I have experienced, Regent is sometimes tone deaf. Competent marketing and communication departments do not let issues fester as Regent does. There still are the mysterious tides that interfered with the Yangon trip and seem to ebb and flow regularly on these boards. Why doesn’t Regent simply give a credible explanation of what happened? That would put an end to all the mystery and speculation—most of which is not favorable to Regent. That example is typical of how Regent communicates so poorly sometimes.

There was one or more posts on CC about itinerary changes in Alaska in which the onboard passengers were confronted with unexpected changes rather than being told upfront. If you are going to change an itinerary in midstream, you better pay attention to communication and make sure all passengers know what is going on and why. And if you don't do so, it says a lot about the lack of priority placed on communication.

Then there is the matter of the bed size on the Explorer. Come on, how complicated is it for someone from Regent to respond to such a simple question? All the rigmarole of different answers points to a messy internal communication structure with no underlying expectation that internal staff will get the answer and that it will be accurately communicated to an inquiring potential guest.

I have no idea who Regent sees as its target based on the advertising I receive. I can tell you it isn’t me. All the “FREE” this and that in a big bold capitalized font reminds me of some sleazy outfit trying to sell timeshares in Las Vegas. I couldn’t help but notice the contrast with a brochure from Crystal that emphasized service “Luxury and choices at every turn.” The only thing I found “free” was wifi (and not in bold font either). Everything else was just listed as benefits, e.g., “gratuities for all dining, bar, housekeeping and butler staff.”

Contrast that with Regent’s “FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities” (which raises another issue of trying to parse what “pre-paid” means in this context and how something can be both free and paid). This is marketing incompetence in my view. (Does any one know what “free-pre paid” means??)

Then there is the web site that ties into the concept of downright poor communication. We still have no idea why Regent recently launched a ship that it was obviously trying to hype, only to have the web site show it under construction for weeks after the launch. This is a big marketing fail.

Regent needs to step up its marketing and communications IMO. When things go wrong, there are standard protocols for responding to customers—e.g., apologize, explain, and fix the problem. Get on top of issues, don’t let things fester and boil over.

Budgets have been raised as relevant. There is no way for outsiders to know the extent to which budget influences some of these priorities, but ultimately management creates the culture and sets priorities. When you see failures in marketing and communication, you see failures in management at some level.

Are you two suggesting that problems with the website and/or communication is going to drive customers away? Perhaps it should since there would be less complaints, however, history indicates otherwise. It is clear to me that the issues are more global than that.

Really suggest that Regent customers spend some time on other luxury cruise line boards where you are likely to see marketing, website and communication issues. As I frequently say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side (however, for those of you who want to spend the money to prove or disprove my theory, go for it)!