oceania cruise only price is $950 less pp than price with air.

stipmom

It depends on whether or not Oceania has a contract with that airline that would lower the price to them. It costs you nothing to ask for the flights and see what they say. The deviation fee of $175/person is only charged if you accept their proposal.

The flights I want are running $1150 if I book them myself. If I pay the deviation fee do I also need to pay the extra $200 per ticket? Thanks

Not sure what $200 you are referring to

Oceania negotiates different fares from what you & I can get looking at the airline sites

If you take the included air you can just take the flights Oceania gives you & fly in/out the dates of the cruise no extra fees

If you want to fly in earlier or stay after the cruise in the disembarkation city you pay the deviation fee

If you select flights that Oceania cannot get with their contracted fares then they may charge you an upcharge fee or if you fly from their non gateway city there is an extra fee

Ask your TA or Oceania what flights you will get on the dates you want if you are willing to pay the deviation fee

You do not pay the deviation fee until you accept the flights from O & the fee is non refundable so be sure to choose the dates carefully

Not sure what $200 you are referring to

Oceania negotiates different fares from what you & I can get looking at the airline sites

If you take the included air you can just take the flights Oceania gives you & fly in/out the dates of the cruise no extra fees

If you want to fly in earlier or stay after the cruise in the disembarkation city you pay the deviation fee

If you select flights that Oceania cannot get with their contracted fares then they may charge you an upcharge fee or if you fly from their non gateway city there is an extra fee

Ask your TA or Oceania what flights you will get on the dates you want if you are willing to pay the deviation fee

You do not pay the deviation fee until you accept the flights from O & the fee is non refundable so be sure to choose the dates carefully

Can you wait until you see what flights O has picked out before you decide to either pay the deviation fee or book them yourself and get the allowed credit from O?

Can you wait until you see what flights O has picked out before you decide to either pay the deviation fee or book them yourself and get the allowed credit from O?

Probably but waiting the flight selection can be more limited & the air credit a lot lower the closer to sailing date... it is a moving target so to speak

I like to fly in early so I either book my own flights or pay the deviation & pick the flights I want ...only once I can remember having to pay an upcharge

If you do not like surprises just check now or at 270 days out what ever comes first

JMO

Lyn

Since you know the flights you want, have your TA propose these flights with dates, times and routing to Oceania. Oceania may accept this with no extra charge other than the deviation fee or they may propose other options with additional fees. You will not pay any of the fees until both you and Oceania agree on the proposal.

Cheers,

Don

The flights I want are running $1150 if I book them myself. If I pay the deviation fee do I also need to pay the extra $200 per ticket? Thanks

Take the credit and pay the $1150. When you figure in the deviation fee, it's pretty much the same price AND you get the flight/seats you want now AND you can use your mileage points for upgrade AND (if you use a travel-savvy credit card), you may not have to pay baggage fees, etc.

Are you flying on British Air ? If so know that they charge $200. pp on top of all other fees. Not sure if this is only for arriving at LHR or all flights.

Curious who charges the $200 fee?

I think the "fees" is actually the departure tax for flying out/through LHR. Those fees are normally included in the ticket price( but not sure if BA does it that way). There appears to be one charge for flying through LHR, in transit, which is different (and far less) than if the departing flight originates from LHR. The fee also changes based on class of ticket, coach, business, 1st, etc.

The tax is substantial. I have known people that have disembarked in Dover England, caught the chunnel (train) at one of its stops to Paris and flown back to the US and saved money for the family. I haven't personally checked the schedules, but they said the train got them to CDG as fast as the bus would have gotten them to LHR.

We are in BA Prem. Econ. class. Going through LHR to Rome. I`m not sure if the $200.pp is a BA imposed charge or a fuel , government tax or airport tax. I know BA charges more when using your miles. We are not using miles as we took the Oceania $99. upgrade.

We are in BA Prem. Econ. class. Going through LHR to Rome. I`m not sure if the $200.pp is a BA imposed charge or a fuel , government tax or airport tax. I know BA charges more when using your miles. We are not using miles as we took the Oceania $99. upgrade.

Did you request BA flights?

Maybe a upcharge from Oceania

Did you also pay the $99 each way on top of the mystery $200 fee ....still confused as to the extra charge

we were never charged any extra fee for BA flight from LHR we only paid the upgrade to PE or whatever BA calls it

Edited by LHT28

I do not have a breakdown of air ticket charges. Maybe when our tickets arrive I will see the breakdown. I did ask for BA LAX, LHR, Rome flights. Least amount of time traveled. Upgraded to Prem. Econ. $99.pp. $200. was added after. We also were allowed to pick our flights and seats right away. In my 50 cruises this is the first time I have not booked my own air. I never book through the cruise line or my TA. It has been a learning experience for me. No regrets as the price was still much less than BA wanted for Prem. Econ. From LAX it is $6000. RT. Say what ???

I do not have a breakdown of air ticket charges. Maybe when our tickets arrive I will see the breakdown. I did ask for BA LAX, LHR, Rome flights. Least amount of time traveled. Upgraded to Prem. Econ. $99.pp. $200. was added after.

You probably will not see a breakdown in fees

sounds more like an upcharge from Oceania for the specific routing

That makes more sense now

My flight was to Lisbon and home from Rome on United in May. Since it is an international flight there is no baggage fee.

I'll keep my cruise only price and book it myself.

Sounds like a good plan in your case

sometime Oceania air works sometimes not

sorry the thread went off the rails :D

The LHR departure tax is included/hidden normally in the price of the ticket, so if one is flying out of LHR they pay it regardless. If an O cruise disembarks in England and provides the air, their O bulk rates will include the fee. It is not an airline fee, it is an airport departure fee which the airlines include in the price of their tickets.

Where individuals normally see the tax is when they use free miles. If their flight plan goes through LHR, they will see an individual fee accompanying the free ticket. That fee is, at least partially, that LHR departure fee that the airlines want to recoup.

The LHR departure tax is included/hidden normally in the price of the ticket, so if one is flying out of LHR they pay it regardless. If an O cruise disembarks in England and provides the air, their O bulk rates will include the fee. It is not an airline fee, it is an airport departure fee which the airlines include in the price of their tickets.

Where individuals normally see the tax is when they use free miles. If their flight plan goes through LHR, they will see an individual fee accompanying the free ticket. That fee is, at least partially, that LHR departure fee that the airlines want to recoup.

+1, if the $200 were an upcharge, it would have been disclosed during the negotiation process.

Maggie,

We are planning on taking an Insignia O cruise to Jerusalem nxt yr., and when we asked the O travel planner about the $99 upgrade, she said it was only for the return trip back to the US. We are perplexed with this statement. When I asked her again to explain, she was a little short with me, so I didn't persist. We have traveled all over the world, using miles and $$, and have never heard of only 1 way upgrade. Does this mean $99 for the inboard and $99 for the return? This would be fine with us, but it is still not clear.Maybe you can clear this up for us. Thanx billyandme

. Does this mean $99 for the inboard and $99 for the return? This would be fine with us, but it is still not clear.Maybe you can clear this up for us. Thanx billyandme

The terms are listed on the website (Bolding is mine)

Terms and Conditions $99 Premium Economy Air Upgrade

*Standard terms apply. View complete terms and conditions. $99 Air Upgrade is a Premium Economy Air Upgrade only available when air is purchased through Oceania Cruises. It applies to intercontinental flights only and is priced per person, each way, on select voyages from select gateways, open to all categories and based on availability. Not all amenities will be available on all carriers.

We usually book our own air but we did take advantage of the upgrade to PE for our NY-CPH/LGR-NY flights this summer. We paid $99pp EACH way.

It was still worth it. To us! I would have preferred business class but that would have cost us MUCH more this time.

Our next two cruises will involve one-way flights (i.e. BCN-NY and Lisbon-NY) and those we will book on our own.

Mura

We paid $99. pp RT. for Prem. Econ. upgrade. Maybe your cruise does not offer RT ? You might want to use a travel agent to help.

The Premium Economy upgrade is priced at $99 per person EACH WAY (see post 21).

That said, it must be established that there is Premium Economy inventory available on the flights in question before the process begins.

So sorry for my mistake. This is my first time booking air with cruise line. I always book my own air. It has been a learning experience for me. I have not seen the breakdown of my ticket. That explains the extra $200. I was charged. Thanks for the heads up.