Not new to cruising, but new to the passport card - Caribbean

squierjosh

Going on 4th cruise in January, to Southern Caribbean (PR, St Thomas, Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Maarten). I just re-upped my passport and got a card and a book. Is there a preference for the Caribbean? Pros/cons to either type of passport? I figured this might come in handy to new travelers wondering the same thing...

More info: We're flying from US into Puerto Rico. I read that the card can't be used for flying outside of the US. However, PR is *kind of* in the US, so is it covered?

You don't need any type of passport to fly from the US mainland to Puerto Rico.

With regard to cruising, if you are on a closed end cruise out of a US port, the passport card is sufficient. However, if you have to fly home from a foreign country, the passport card won't be accepted.

Except for PR, all the other islands are foreign countries. If you were forced to fly back from them for any reason, you would need your passport book. A passport card is of no use. You can use it as picture id. I use my drivers license for that purpose.

You may use the passport card for your cruise should you decide to leave the passport at home where it can be safer but if you do have to fly back from one of the ports (other than St Thomas) you would need it. We have both passports and Enhanced Drivers Licenses (acts like a passport card) and will likely be bringing both for the cruise we are going on (same itinerary as you:)).

Just my thought on it. You could take both with you...the passport card will fit in your wallet. When you get off the ship take the card with you and leave the passport book in the safe. If something happens at least you have the passport card and it will help get ya new passport book and such.

That is what I would do if I had the passport card.

Just my thought on it. You could take both with you...the passport card will fit in your wallet. When you get off the ship take the card with you and leave the passport book in the safe. If something happens at least you have the passport card and it will help get ya new passport book and such.

That is what I would do if I had the passport card.

Actually the best procedure as far as covering all the bases that I've read- carry the passport with you and leave the card in the safe. If something happens and you miss the ship you have what you need to make arrangements to fly to the next port. If the passport is lost or stolen you still have what you need onboard to get you back into the US. (If you already have both of course, I'm not sure I would spend the money to obtain a passport card just to do this.)

Edited by sparks1093

Except for PR, all the other islands are foreign countries.

Hmmmmmm

what about USVI?

and if we don't limit the statement to the Atlantic, what about GUAM? Or Hawaii if you want to get picky .....

I overlooked St. Thomas in her list of islands. She did not mention a cruise in the Pacific.

Leave your passport in the safe in the cabin where it cannot be stolen, especially if you do beach excursions.

then why even bother to bring it?:confused: I had mine in my pocket in Naples, Rome, Florence, Nice, Marseille, Barcelona and Monaco. Don't be scared, either take it with you are leave it home. :rolleyes:

then why even bother to bring it?:confused: I had mine in my pocket in Naples, Rome, Florence, Nice, Marseille, Barcelona and Monaco. Don't be scared, either take it with you are leave it home. :rolleyes:

People would be more inclined to carry their passport in Europe than in the Caribbean, especially if they are doing excursions that involve water. It's a judgment call where each individual has to do what they are comfortable doing and there is no right or wrong answer.

then why even bother to bring it?:confused:

It has been mentioned often enough on cruise critic. You need the passport book in case you have to fly home from the islands or fly from one non-US island to the next. Not likely to happen, but you never know.