Passenger air lifted off Enchantment OTS last night

My husband and I heard a page during dinner last night around 6:30-7 for "Alpha alpha alpha." Around 8:30, the captain announced that we would be heading back to Key West at full speed due to a medical emergency and shortly after 9PM, everyone was evacuated from decks 9 & 10 for a helicopter.

We're not too sure what exactly happened. We asked our room attendant this morning, and she said heart attack. I'm hoping the guest is okay!

We were amazed! They cleared all the chairs and tables from decks 9 & 10, and the helicopter hovered and was able to lift two passengers (I'm assuming a family member?) from the port side of deck 10 near the pool screen.

We were amazed! They cleared all the chairs and tables from decks 9 & 10, and the helicopter hovered and was able to lift two passengers (I'm assuming a family member?) from the port side of deck 10 near the pool screen.

Wow! I would be so nervous trying to get on the helicopter like that...but I guess the circumstance was more important.

I used my phone to type this, excuse any typos please!

Sending good thoughts to the passenger!

It just find it crazy though how they can airlift off small ships like Enchantment. !

Enchantment isnt that small. Even on the bigger ships with helipads rarely if ever do they land on the ship because its actually safer to hoist a passenger up than try to land on a moving ship. They will generally always hover and drop the basket. As long as there is an area that is clear of obstacles, they can generally do it pretty quickly.

Edited by ryano

Enchantment isnt that small. Even on the bigger ships with helipads rarely if ever do they land on the ship because its actually safer to hoist a passenger up than try to land on a moving ship. They will generally always hover and drop the basket. As long as there is an area that is clear of obstacles, they can generally do it pretty quickly.

Interesting! I always thought it would be safer to slow the ship and land on the helipad, and carry the passenger in vs airlift.

But that is still very cool to know!

Sending good thoughts to the passenger!

It just find it crazy though how they can airlift off small ships like Enchantment.

Enchantment is 81,000 tons! That's not small, and larger than the legendary QE2 at 70,000 tons. QE2 would at times land a helicopter on her helipad on the top deck.

I think many today think such ships are small. Well, they are "smaller" compared to Oasis class, but we're still talking very, very large ships here.

QE2 modified for service in the Falklands war in the early 80's with a special helicopter deck built on her stern.

article-2128733-1294FAAF000005DC-639_634x415.jpg

Edited by loubetti

Enchantment is 81,000 tons! That's not small, and larger than the legendary QE2 at 70,000 tons. QE2 would at times land a helicopter on her helipad on the top deck.

I think many today think such ships are small. Well, they are "smaller" compared to Oasis class, but we're still talking very, very large ships here.

Oh well....:rolleyes:

Haha, I know what you mean! Sometimes I think I need to realize how big these "small" ships are.

It's not the size of the ship that makes it tough to land a helicopter. Its the pitching and rolling. Much safer to lift someone than land. A basket on a line is a lot more flexible than a ship coming up against a helicopter coming down unexpectedly. Hoping for a good outcome for everyone.

We were on the Infinity in January off the coast of Chile. A passenger was injured on board and a helicopter landed to take her off. There is a helipad. The railings were put down as was a pole. After the helicopter landed a crew member got off (a nurse?) With a gurney. The helicopter took off and circled until they were ready to load the passenger, when it landed again. I'm not sure family went. Couldn't tell. It was fascinating to watch.

Wow! I would be so nervous trying to get on the helicopter like that...but I guess the circumstance was more important.

At times speed is of the utmost importance. In that scenario I'm guessing being nervous isn't on the patients radar. Prayers for the passenger, and loved ones.

I was in a front facing cabin on the Liberty in 2012, and witnessed an incredible rescue during very high cross winds at 1 AM on the bow of the ship.

The video is here:

It was amazing to watch and the coast guard deserves every bit of pay they get.

At times speed is of the utmost importance. In that scenario I'm guessing being nervous isn't on the patients radar. Prayers for the passenger, and loved ones.

Agree.

I was in a front facing cabin on the Liberty in 2012, and witnessed an incredible rescue during very high cross winds at 1 AM on the bow of the ship.

The video is here:

It was amazing to watch and the coast guard deserves every bit of pay they get.

Thanks, exciting video.