Can TAs beat sale prices?

Krozulo

I'm about to book my first cruise (round trip to Hawaii from Vancouver in April 2018 on Princess, one inside cabin, one oceanview) and I read about a site that lets travel agencies compete for your booking, so I signed up for it. I've got a few quotes back and they're all below the current Princess prices. The sailing I'm looking at is not currently on sale.

My question is, if Princess drops their price, generally speaking, will travel agencies be able to beat the lower price if I rebook? Or will they only be able to match Princess' sale price? Like, are the low(ish) prices they're quoting me only because the trip is full price?

I know there will be people who have amazing TAs that they've been using for years and they will give discounts, but remember that I have no history with any of them so paint this question with a very broad brush.

I was looking at another site that shows past cruises and price fluctuations, and while there are no guarantees, I did see trends so I fully expect my cruise will drop before final payment. I just want to know if I should look further into these offers (reviews, fine print, etc) or not.

TA's are permitted to Discount most any Princess Rate , sale or no sale.

If you see it on Princess , they can discount that rate .

They just can't advertise those rates . You must contact the TA to get "their" best rate for which you qualify.

Go on over to the Princess board and read about some of the things that Princess offers that you may not be aware of . Such as OBC's for Military and Shareholders on most every cruise.

Edited by MCC retired

Cruise lines break their fares down to TA's into "commission-able" and "non-commission-able" portions. The TA only gets a commission on the first part. Now, because of this, some TA's advertise the "fare" as being only the commission-able part, and roll the non-commission-able part into a nebulous "port fee". Check the total package, as in this case, the "port fee" and the "port taxes and charges" is usually higher than the line's "port taxes and charges", and the totals tend to be very close to each other.

As chenkp75 indicated the net total stateroom price with taxes and port fees will be the same as that offered directly by the cruise line as most mass market lines do not allow discounting by TA's and the base price provide directly is the same as that to the TA, including sales.

If a TA offers a "discount" it typically is coming from a reduced rate provided through group bookings (typically one person's rate for every 8 staterooms booked) which can carry room selection restrictions, or directly from their commissions. This would be the same with non cruise line sponsored perks.

Most cruise lines will also allow price matching for reduced rates issued after a booking is made as long as it is prior to final payment and TA's will also have the ability to do this as well - and should!

As also mentioned check closely to see if a TA charges fees separate from any charged by the cruise lines for originating, modifying, or canceling a booking and IMO avoid them.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thank you for the responses so far. I have heard about some TAs charging additional fees for booking, refaring, or cancellation fees. The quotes I received back mention no cancellation fees, other than what's charged by the cruise line, but they don't mention the other fees. That was going to be one of the things I was going to look into once I've decided if I want to book through a TA or not. If they charge additional fees, I don't plan on using them.

My main goal is to save money, obviously. If they can save me money by discounting a sale price, then I can put forth the additional effort of looking up reviews of those that have responded, and then contacting them. If the general response would be that they don't discount sale prices, I'll just book direct or with a TA that offers bonus OBC in lieu of a lower price.

Regarding the commissionable and non-commissionable fares and their total price, if the email quote I get back says "Price includes all port charges, taxes, and fees," is it safe to assume that that really is the final price and there aren't additional fees? The best offer I got back so far is enough in savings to cover gratuities.

Thank you for the responses so far. I have heard about some TAs charging additional fees for booking, refaring, or cancellation fees. The quotes I received back mention no cancellation fees, other than what's charged by the cruise line, but they don't mention the other fees. That was going to be one of the things I was going to look into once I've decided if I want to book through a TA or not. If they charge additional fees, I don't plan on using them.

My main goal is to save money, obviously. If they can save me money by discounting a sale price, then I can put forth the additional effort of looking up reviews of those that have responded, and then contacting them. If the general response would be that they don't discount sale prices, I'll just book direct or with a TA that offers bonus OBC in lieu of a lower price.

Regarding the commissionable and non-commissionable fares and their total price, if the email quote I get back says "Price includes all port charges, taxes, and fees," is it safe to assume that that really is the final price and there aren't additional fees? The best offer I got back so far is enough in savings to cover gratuities.

It may or may not. Again, buyer beware. Though some TA's will forego some of their commission to give OBC, perks, or a reduced fare. Ask to see the fine print of the contract.

I'd be more comfortable with an email that includes a seperate and actual invoice broken down as needed by total stateroom rate, port charges, taxes, and all fees with a total indicated as final total amount due, or other such language. I would want to see the numbers and how the total was reached with confirmation that is final, not just an email say so.

Again, they cannot discount a sale price beyond that which would be provided directly by the cruise line. Any such "discounts" would be as previously described from block or group booking rooms, or from their commissions.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I'd be more comfortable with an email that includes a seperate and actual invoice broken down as needed by total stateroom rate, port charges, taxes, and all fees with a total indicated as final total amount due, or other such language. I would want to see the numbers and how the total was reached with confirmation that is final, not just an email say so.

Again, they cannot discount a sale price beyond that which would be provided directly by the cruise line. Any such "discounts" would be as previously described from block or group booking rooms, or from their commissions.

True. I wouldn't think of booking with anyone based on a reply to an anonymous email. I would need to see the full breakdown in fees, etc. This is just a preliminary overview, really. A few TAs respond with their quotes, I pick the best one or ones and ask for more info.

On the group discount / commissions that they would draw from to offer deals. Is the TA's group rate or commission a fixed amount? So, let's say they make $400 on a room (either by buying a block of rooms or their commission) and that allows them to give me a $200 discount. But then if the cruise line drops their price to $100 less than I paid to the TA, to match the price means the TA only makes $100 and to beat the price means they make $50?

Or is it more of a percentage of final payment?

I'm about to book my first cruise (round trip to Hawaii from Vancouver in April 2018 on Princess, one inside cabin, one oceanview) and I read about a site that lets travel agencies compete for your booking, so I signed up for it. I've got a few quotes back and they're all below the current Princess prices. The sailing I'm looking at is not currently on sale.

My question is, if Princess drops their price, generally speaking, will travel agencies be able to beat the lower price if I rebook? Or will they only be able to match Princess' sale price? Like, are the low(ish) prices they're quoting me only because the trip is full price?

I know there will be people who have amazing TAs that they've been using for years and they will give discounts, but remember that I have no history with any of them so paint this question with a very broad brush.

I was looking at another site that shows past cruises and price fluctuations, and while there are no guarantees, I did see trends so I fully expect my cruise will drop before final payment. I just want to know if I should look further into these offers (reviews, fine print, etc) or not.

Check the fine print. Agents may charge fees for everything. I.e canceling, changing the room. upgrading later on. re-faring to a promotional rate etc. The fees are endless. If you book direct you can make as many changes as you like even a full cancelation with no penalty 180days prior to sailing.

True. I wouldn't think of booking with anyone based on a reply to an anonymous email. I would need to see the full breakdown in fees, etc. This is just a preliminary overview, really. A few TAs respond with their quotes, I pick the best one or ones and ask for more info.

On the group discount / commissions that they would draw from to offer deals. Is the TA's group rate or commission a fixed amount? So, let's say they make $400 on a room (either by buying a block of rooms or their commission) and that allows them to give me a $200 discount. But then if the cruise line drops their price to $100 less than I paid to the TA, to match the price means the TA only makes $100 and to beat the price means they make $50?

If TA is giving you xxx dollars credit/refund/OBC based on original fare quoted and there is a price drop that TA then secures, expect the TA credit/refund/OBC to be reduced proportionately.

The short answer to the question in the title of your original post is... YES, T/As can and do (often) beat a cruise line's sale price.

Some large, on-line T/As often do such a HUGE volume of bookings, they get incredible discounts from the cruise lines, and pass those savings on to their customers... sometimes in lower prices, sometimes in added perks/OBC, and sometimes BOTH.

I'm about to book my first cruise (round trip to Hawaii from Vancouver in April 2018 on Princess, one inside cabin, one oceanview.

I've got a few quotes back and they're all below the current Princess prices. The sailing I'm looking at is not currently on sale.

My question is, if Princess drops their price, will travel agencies be able to beat the lower price if I rebook? Or will they only be able to match Princess' sale price?

My main goal is to save money, obviously.

PLEASE be wary of some of partially, or even totally incorrect information posted above. :rolleyes:

(It's NOT what ya don't know... It's what ya THINK ya know that just aint so.)

There are MULTIPLE, large, long established, and well known on-line travel agencies that quite regularly sell cruises at prices WELL BELOW those advertised by the cruise lines. I KNOW this for a FACT because I have booked 15-20 cruises with them over the last five years and saved THOUSANDS of dollars on numerous cruises... just try a search for "discounted cruises" or "90 day ticker"

I cruised 7 nights on NCL Pride of America for $249pp

I cruised 23 nights on Celebrity Century for $799pp with $250 shareholder OBC

I Cruised 15 nights on Celebrity Reflection for $449pp with $250 shareholder OBC.

I cruised 14 nights on Diamond Princess for $799pp with $250 military OBC and $250 shareholder OBC.

I KNOW what I'm talking about when it comes to saving money on cruises. ;)

I hope I figured out which cruise you are considering... Star Princess on 10 April, 2018 :o

I just pulled these numbers off the Princess website... inside cabin @ $1699pp and ocean view cabin at $2299pp

The online agency I use shows the inside cabin for the same $1699 price as Princess...but shows the ocean view cabin at only $1899pp

That is a savings of $400pp... for a total of $800. :eek: :D ;)

Tips, along with taxes, fees and port expenses of $155pp are extra, same as on the Princess website. No added fees for changes or cancellations, except those charged by the cruise line.

Good luck in your search for the best deal... do some studying and save some money, and welcome to the AWESOME world of cruising!

Edited by teecee60

It is a percentage of the commission-able portion of the stateroom rate, which will be in proportion to the total rate charged. And the more the agency gives, the less the agent makes.

The short answer to the question in the title of your original post is... YES, T/As can and do (often) beat a cruise line's sale price.

Some large, on-line T/As often do such a HUGE volume of bookings, they get incredible discounts from the cruise lines, and pass those savings on to their customers... sometimes in lower prices, sometimes in added perks/OBC, and sometimes BOTH.

PLEASE be wary of some of partially, or even totally incorrect information posted above. :rolleyes:

(It's NOT what ya don't know... It's what ya THINK ya know that just aint so.)

There are MULTIPLE, large, long established, and well known on-line travel agencies that quite regularly sell cruises at prices WELL BELOW those advertised by the cruise lines. I KNOW this for a FACT because I have booked 15-20 cruises with them over the last five years and saved THOUSANDS of dollars on numerous cruises... just try a search for "discounted cruises" or "90 day ticker"

I cruised 7 nights on NCL Pride of America for $249pp

I cruised 23 nights on Celebrity Century for $799pp with $250 shareholder OBC

I Cruised 15 nights on Celebrity Reflection for $449pp with $250 shareholder OBC.

I cruised 14 nights on Diamond Princess for $799pp with $250 military OBC and $250 shareholder OBC.

I KNOW what I'm talking about when it comes to saving money on cruises. ;)

I hope I figured out which cruise you are considering... Star Princess on 10 April, 2018 :o

I just pulled these numbers off the Princess website... inside cabin @ $1699pp and ocean view cabin at $2299pp

The online agency I use shows the inside cabin for the same $1699 price as Princess...but shows the ocean view cabin at only $1899pp

Tips, along with taxes, fees and port expenses of $155pp are extra, same as on the Princess website. No added fees for changes or cancellations, except those charged by the cruise line.

Good luck in your search for the best deal... do some studying and save some money, and welcome to the AWESOME world of cruising!

Who is your travel agent?

Thanks for the tip! $800 total savings on the cabin is nothing to sneeze at. I know the site you got the prices from and I see the same $1899, but that's a "from" price, which could be an obstructed oceanview room. I will send a request for my specific rooms.

Not only that, but I saw that there's a HAL cruise at the same time for 17 days instead of 15 days (1 extra port, and 1 extra day in Honolulu). Now I just have to see if the extra price is worth it to my family or if we should stick with the first plan.

Do you have any issues with your TA? Any extra fees they don't mention up front, or any problems getting price drops?

Thanks for the tip! $800 total savings on the cabin is nothing to sneeze at. I know the site you got the prices from and I see the same $1899, but that's a "from" price, which could be an obstructed oceanview room. I will send a request for my specific rooms.

Not only that, but I saw that there's a HAL cruise at the same time for 17 days instead of 15 days (1 extra port, and 1 extra day in Honolulu). Now I just have to see if the extra price is worth it to my family or if we should stick with the first plan.

Do you have any issues with your TA? Any extra fees they don't mention up front, or any problems getting price drops?

Glad you found the right place with the right prices. Too bad you can't go this September 24th when the prices are only $1299/$1499pp for inside/ocean view cabins on the same itinerary. :)

Every cruise and every itinerary has different price swings depending on many different demand factors, but you could reasonably expect to see similar price drops on your itinerary. I have seen the same itinerary on the same ship (but out of LA) go as low as $899pp a few years ago.

The HAL itinerary has extra nights and that fantastic overnight in Honolulu, but its your call on the price difference.

It's all about supply and demand... If the cruise line is behind in their projected bookings goals, the prices will come down and/or the OBC/perks will increase. ;)

I have never had even a minor problem in 10 years and 10 bookings, with no charges other than what the cruise lines charge.

There is another place that quite often has the same prices but even BETTER OBC/perks during their several times per year promotions. Try a search for firecracker cruise sale. I just booked an ocean view cabin on a 14 night transatlantic next April on Brilliance OTS for $699pp with a total of $550 OBC. Compare that to the price NOW.

Edited by teecee60