first cruise in hurricane season

amandaaa04

hey all...

i'm heading out on my first ever cruise and while I'm anxious in a couple ways (mainly not knowing if i get sea sick!) my biggest question is what happens if there's a hurricane? how does that work?

i'll be going on the pride out of baltimore on the 21st - freeport, half moon cay and grand turk.

thanks!

The Captains steer clear of hurricanes and bad weather in general. They know weather patterns several days in advance and it's not unusual to change course and an eastern Caribbean trip can become a western Caribbean trip at a moments notice.

We always book what we call a hurricane cruise, book a 7 day and hope for 8. Don't worry about the motion sickness. These are very large ships and the motion is very slight. If you do feel queasy use Bonnine its one of the best OTC meds. Enjoy your cruise and don't let the small stuff bother you.

We always book what we call a hurricane cruise, book a 7 day and hope for 8. Don't worry about the motion sickness. These are very large ships and the motion is very slight. If you do feel queasy use Bonnine its one of the best OTC meds. Enjoy your cruise and don't let the small stuff bother you.

We have done five cruises (on another line) during hurricane season and we haven't ever had an issue. I second the Bonine, but if you are at all worried you will get seasick, start the Bonine at least one night before your cruise. We are on the 27NOV cruise on the Pride, our first on Carnival, so we will be waiting for your review after your cruise!

hey all...

i'm heading out on my first ever cruise and while I'm anxious in a couple ways (mainly not knowing if i get sea sick!) my biggest question is what happens if there's a hurricane? how does that work?

i'll be going on the pride out of baltimore on the 21st - freeport, half moon cay and grand turk.

thanks!

They will keep you safe.

I also will highly recommend Bonine. I have motion sickness in planes, cars, boats and I always use it. Take at night 1-2 days before cruise and every night of cruise. I was told that way it gets in your system before you get on boat. And it is non-drowsy. It works great for me.

The wife and I don't care about ports. As long as we get a day with a beach, we are happy spending the other 6 days on the ship. Last cruise we didn't even bother doing anything in Grand cayman, we stayed on board. So we love hurricane season, cheap cruises, and the same vacation for us regardless of where we go

Woodman, let me assure you that your motion assertion is totally incorrect- you have just been very lucky!

Please, do not mislead people into thinking that "very large" means little or no motion. The large cruise ships sit far more out of the water than they do in it- they are not ocean liners like QE2 or QM2.

While the captain will certainly avoid a hurricane, that does not negate effects that the hurricane can cause even 100+ miles away.

Learn about the Beaufort scale of sea conditions, and I can assure you that your very large ship will experience quite a ride even in force 7 or 8 conditions, and that's not even close to being in a hurricane, which starts at force 12 where the scale ends.

Ever consider a hurricane producing a rogue wave several hundred or more miles away? It's happened, and these monsters have hit ships over the years.

I'm not trying to scare anyone , but I do feel it necessary to point this out.

You never know.:cool:

Edited by loubetti

8 cruises during hurricane season and (so far) no hurricanes or even any rain.

You've been lucky.

We've had a couple of VERY rough rides, missed ports, and even a cancelled cruise. :eek:

October is still my favorite time to cruise. We've had more smooth cruises than rough ones.

Call me crazy, but the rough ones were exciting.

This is our 2nd cruise during hurricane season, first time I wasn't lucky with avoiding motion sickness. I have a prescription for the patch, hopefully it works because bromine didn't work for me last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will also be cruising Hurricane season for the first time. No biggie to me. Ports can change as long as one of those ports will allow me to cab to the beach. Heck I'd be fine with a 5 day cruise to no where.. lol

As for sea sickness for the most part never experienced anything big. There was one time on the Fascination, on the last night, were the ship hit rough waters because it was raining all day and the wind blowing hard so the ship was rocking. I got dizzy and my head hurt all day and I had no appetite. The cruise director was making announcements all day on what to do to combat sea sickness and they even placed sick bags near all the elevators.

Just off the Splendor yesterday. There was a system that we sort of hit, but it went more inland to Belize instead of to where we were headed (and please forgive me if the heading is incorrect - just explaining). Anyway, we had some rain - first port day in Grand Turk, really bad rain. We were on a snorkel tour so headed to a different place, but I heard it cleared the beach. The rest of the cruise was beautiful.

As for motion, yes, the ship was rocking! One evening, I really felt it. I take Bonine the night before the cruise and each night of the cruise. I did not get seasick. The interesting thing is I felt it on one night, but the next night (night of Dominican Republic with next day in Curacao) I did not feel it. When we woke up, the cruise director said that we were late docking because we had 55 mph winds and the sea was rough. So we docked about 2, and it was kind of a mad house getting off. Was a beautiful day in Curacao.

Bonine is a great suggestion. I talked with someone during our Curacao tour who had bad motion sickness. She was not taking anything. I am very prone, but I was fine. We were prepared for our itinerary to change when we heard the news of the system, but it did not. I trust the captain (and my Bonine). BTW, get the generic at Wal Mart. I have had the same bottle for at least four cruises now.

We have done 16 plus cruises during hurricane season and had perfect weather on all of them. We will give it another go mid September.

One of them out of Tampa had a complete itinerary change from W. Caribbean to E. Caribbean due to a hurricane. We got a letter as we boarded.

Once, we were stuck out at sea for an extra day while a tropical storm hit the Texas coast and the Coast Guard closed the port of Galveston We were sitting offshore in beautiful sunshine and calm waters.

And, once we missed cruise altogether. We evacuated to Dallas for Hurricane Rita. Carnival called and asked if we were going to be able to get to Galveston for the cruise. Unfortunately, after the mess caused by the evacuation they decided to control the return by zipcode. We were not allowed to return to the Houston area until Tuesday, and the ship was leaving on Sunday. Carnival returned all our money, without us even asking for it.

Edited by DebJ14

I have had a few that were moving pretty good in a storm. It was nothing the size of a hurricane but we were getting the up and down motion as we climbed the wave.

We followed Sandy in from sea on our last sea day on the RC Freedon of the Sea into Port Canaveral. The evening before it was so windy my daughter who was 10 could hardly walk on deck. The next morning the crew had locked all doors that went to any outside areas and tied down all the deck chairs. Lucky for us it was a big ship and all the people had plenty of room in the inside common areas during that last sea day. It didn't scare me - I knew they wouldn't have headed back if it was unsafe - they don't want the bad publicity. I have the Carnival Freedom booked for this October! We get 2 weeks off school for fall break - and it is soooo much cheaper than spring break!!!

We went on our first cruise with all our family 30 years ago on the Carla Costa (now scrapped). We left out of Porto Rico and went south. This ship was very small compared to the big ships we go on and I am not sure it even had stabilizers. Well it was quite a trip. We passed through the edge of a storm-it really had us rocking and rolling. When we went to the MDR (there was only one) the drawers kept rolling out of the serving cabinets. Our water glasses had water splashing out of them and the dishes were sliding across the table.

I had red cavier and I will never forget the little red balls rolling across our white tablecloth. We did have a great time but it was 20 years before we cruised again.

We now try to cruise at least once a year, and, it is usually during hurricane season and always on Carnival. We figured if we did not get sick on our first cruise, and we did not, then we probably won't get sick on the newer ships which we can hardly feel moving. They are so much better!!! I feel the captains try very hard to keep us out of harms way if there is a storm in the area and I could care less if we have to change or miss a port as I am there for the ship and really don't care if I get off or stay on the entire trip.

Enjoy your cruise!!! We always cruise out of Galveston, TX.