Help with Embarkation in Southampton

SwissMiss25

This is my first Celebrity Cruise. The ship is the Eclipse. My embarkation letter tells me to check in at 3pm. We will be coming from London that day so we need to arrive before 3pm. If they are serious about the appointment time, is there somewhere we can wait? The letter states that the seating space is extremely limited. Any suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We have always arrived early (around 11AM) since we usually stay a few nights in Southampton. Never have had any trouble, but we have never had the letter stating what time to arrive either. I love all the free English magazines they have there. I usually take a few and then leave them in the library. Unless the check-in area has changed since we were there in May 2015, I think there are quite a few places to sit.

How are you getting from London?

Love Palm Desert by the way!

Edited by TeaBag

This is my first Celebrity Cruise. The ship is the Eclipse. My embarkation letter tells me to check in at 3pm. We will be coming from London that day so we need to arrive before 3pm. If they are serious about the appointment time, is there somewhere we can wait? The letter states that the seating space is extremely limited. Any suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Please don't think twice about that recommended time. You will be fine with whatever time you get there. You will find that Southhampton is a very easy port to board.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Please don't think twice about that recommended time. You will be fine with whatever time you get there. You will find that Southhampton is a very easy port to board.

The OP doesn't actually mention the date of embarkation, but I think the only time that you will be restricted to a boarding time is if there is to be a deep clean of the ship. There was one prior to boarding on June 5 th, as there had been an Noro Virus issue on the previous cruise. You can find details here, post 39 onwards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2372103&page=2

Edited by upwarduk

I agree with previous posters; unless there is a particular issue on your ship (like a deep clean because of norovirus) the times are just advisory to try to minimise waiting time. We usually have a few days in Southampton pre-cruise and then check in at around 11.00 a.m. and have never had a problem. We have always found boarding Southampton to be quick and easy.:)

I agree with previous posters; unless there is a particular issue on your ship (like a deep clean because of norovirus) the times are just advisory to try to minimise waiting time. We usually have a few days in Southampton pre-cruise and then check in at around 11.00 a.m. and have never had a problem. We have always found boarding Southampton to be quick and easy.:)

Last year we stayed overnight in Southampton and didn't need to check out of our hotel until noon ( many UK hotels are 10.00) We drove straight to dock gate 10 and unloaded our baggage on to a trolley, parked our car and were on the ship in time for lunch.

Do be aware that if you come from USA, your passports may be held for checking (see the link that I posted in post 6)

]The intent of these notifications is to try and minimize long lines and waits. It is a suggested time, I have not seen anyone turned away if they arrived earlier than the time suggested.

My DH and I have been able to get on the ship in Southampton by !11:00 the last two times we embarked there, so either they changed something or it is still the same. Again the 3:00 PM is a suggestion that you can leave as just this...a suggestion! i always get on the ship as early as possible.:) Last trip my DH and I were the first ones on the ship, but we were in suite class.

PLEASE DELETE; double post!

Edited by Lastdance

The intent of these notifications is to try and minimize long lines and waits. It is a suggested time, I have not seen anyone turned away if they arrived earlier than the time suggested.

My DH and I have been able to get on the ship in Southampton by !11:00 the last two times we embarked there, so either they changed something or it is still the same. Again the 3:00 PM is a suggestion that you can leave as just this...a suggestion! i always get on the ship as early as possible.:)Last trip my DH and I were the first ones on the ship, but we were in suite class. They have chairs for you to sit on and something to drink after you go through the line...no worries!

Edited by Lastdance

I would say under no circumstances leave it as late as 3 to be getting to the port - especially from London. My advice is to leave London so as to arrive in Southampton for 11 or even before. As people have said there isn't a problem being at the port at that time. There is plenty of seating if you do have to wait a while and to be honest I would rather be sitting in the port reception than be panicking in London in the possible case of a delay on the railways. I have been there with that case scenario and do not recommend it!

There are plenty of taxis at the Southampton Central station and it is really close to the port. I am sure you will have a lovely cruise with Celebrity and the Eclipse. I am on a countdown for our 5th cruise with them :)

Incidentally have you researched how to get a deal on the train tickets? Go to http://www.thetrainline.com and check the prices. Prices usually drop 10 to 12 weeks before the date of travel. You can input your email address for an alert for when there is a price drop. Sometimes you get an even better deal if you put in say London Waterloo to Winchester and then Winchester (same time train) to Southampton - by splitting your journey you can sometimes get it cheaper. Similarly 2 single journeys can work out cheaper than a return - just be prepared to research a little.

Edited by HelenREMfan

Try the megabus.com site for train prices. They have single tickets from London from £1 or £7/£9 for peak services. Usually £20/£25 cheaper than trainline.com or paying at the station.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk