Very late Noordam review

A very belated review of 14 day cruise in March to New Zealand and return.

The trip left white Bay overseas terminal on a beautiful day.

Horrendous que to board the ship. Can't wait to become four star Mariner and get priority boarding.

What a thrill to sit on our balcony with glass of wine in hand and leave Sydney heads.

A quick orientation of the ship to get our bearings after life boat drill ( essential I'm sure but so is going to the dentist.arghh)

The evening meal in the dining room was the same as every night. WONDERFUL!! Can not fault food or service except for one surly waiter who obviously was making his last cruise.

Entertainment was by mostly Australian artists and was thoroughly entertaining. Didn't miss a show.

Room was faultless and yes the toilet worked the whole voyage.

The Noordam is a wonderful ship and would love to cruise on her again

Only hiccup was on leaving Napier berth the ship broke and we needed to dock again for a further 24 hours until repairs were made. Sadly we missed our port time for Auckland and also missed the Bay of Islands.

Compensated by Holland America adequately but sorry to miss those ports.

The people on board were wonderful with so many nations represented.

Met many wonderful people particularly from the United States who were only too happy to talk about their country. A plus with Holland America.

The weather was fantastic with only a couple of windy days but the Noordam handled it superbly.

This was our third cruise with Holland America and every cruise was amazing.

Will do more cruises but unfortunately some cruises we wish to do we cant mainly because their ships are limited in return journeys from Australia except on relocation schedules.

Therefore our next trip will be on the Dawn Princess to Japan on cherry blossom cruise.

Would appreciate any comments regarding this ship and the cherry blossom trip.

I've read a few good reviews on cruise critic.

Thanks members.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the review. I was so happy to hear how happy you were with the Noordam. We've done 4 cruises (all on Holland America) but haven't had the pleasure of the Noordam yet.

We almost did your cruise as part of a collection cruise and was going to stay on to Vancouver but decided instead to do the upcoming one from San Diego to Auckland. SO excited!

What excursions did you do?

Utahtea

We even think HAL does a pretty good job with their Pavlova. What did you as a native think?

Though I am not sure if the Aussies and the Kiwis ever settled the debate who invented it first. And Anna is not talking.

Thanks for your report.

Edited by OlsSalt

Hey all.

Utahtea I shall look up the shore excursions and put them up.

Cause I have a back injury all of the excursions were sedate in nature but my wife did the thermal tour of the volcanic pools. Loved it.

We went to a couple of working sheep stations for a sample of sheepdog round ups. Followed by a sumptuous Kiwi banquet in the open area of beautiful gardens. Kiwi hospitality is always hard to beat. Great people indeed and damn can they play rugby.

We shall return as soon as possible.

The Noordam is a very elegant ship. Previous ships were niew Amsterdam and the zuiderdam, both we enjoyed equally as well.

In regards to the Pavlova they did a very reasonable job in fact I had two.

If you want to know who invented the Pavlova, that's easy, us Aussies did and perfected by my wife ( had to say that if I ever want one again)

But the Kiwis make superb wine, particularly Sauvignon Blanc, and is a must do.

We love history and gardens so these elements make up a large proportion of our tours.

Cheers

We were on the same cruise and had a great time. As for previous cruises (all HAL) food in the MDR was very good - we always eat in the MDR. We were disappointed to miss the Bay of Islands but agree we were adequately compensated - helped pay for our next cruise from Hawaii to Sydney late Sept (on Noordam again).

NZ was a very pretty place but not as "exotic" as the Med or the Baltic. The country side was very much like home in winter. We loved Hobbiton while other tours (Christchurch, Napier) were pleasant days out rather than spectacular. Most ports we just walked around and took it easy but did get to the Weta Cave (Lord of the Rings studio) in Wellington.

We are looking forward to catching up with our favourite barman Armondo (who we met on the Noordam on the Med in 2013 - he remembered us!!!) and Irwin the cheeky drink waiter who thinks he can sing (actually he is pretty good).

Cheers

Gary and Trudi

Yes I agree nana, but as a cruise ship they are somewhat restricted to a reasonable distance from the port.

Having travelled the length and breadth of NZ there so much more to see.

It's lakes, rivers and mountains are breathtaking.

Hope you get the opportunity to spend more time there and you will be very impressed. And that's coming from an Aussie.