Calling all former Prinsendam Amazon River cruisers - Yellow Fever shot requirement

OlsSalt

Shots not recommended by CDC for those over 60-65. Local public health agency says they need a medical waiver first for anyone over 60, before they will administer a Yellow Fever shot.

HAL claims they will not let you board without either proof of shot under 10 years old or a medical waiver, which may or may not be honored. Immigration allegedly can add their own requirements when you try to re-enter the US.

CDC now says one shot is good for life. Yet HAL claims they will not let you board if you don't have their own requirements met.

Then there is that other tidbit later being required to get the shots on the ship itself at a pricey premium, administered by the ship's doctor.

Think we will wait until this all settles down. Glad I canceled.

Edited by OlsSalt

A yellow fever shot is not required but recommended, but if you go to Devil's island you need it. Go to the local public health department and get a yellow card that goes in the passport and than a letter from your doctor who will sign the yellow card. Just did the amazon in Feb. on the Prinsendam and had the docs with us, did not need them.

Pretty hot and humid down there on Île du Diable/Devil's Island, French Guiana. Interesting place though, with the old prison ruins

Period of validity: in accordance with the amendment to the IHR (2005) adopted by the World Health Assembly in resolution WHA67.13, from 11 July 2016 the period of validity for all certificates of vaccination against yellow fever changes from 10 years to the duration of the life of the person vaccinated, including for certificates already issued and new certificates.

Accordingly, as of 11 July 2016, valid certificates of vaccination presented by arriving travellers cannot be rejected on the grounds that more than ten years have passed since the date vaccination became effective as stated on the certificate; boosters or revaccination cannot be required.

Brazil is not in a position to turn down tourism dollars, just to be petty, mean and vindictive. Trust me, few will want to break Brazilian immigration restrictions and over-stay their Brazil visas.

Small price for me to pay to keep our own US necessary and heavy immigration restrictions in place. Bye, bye Brazil.

See if you can get a sanity shot from your neighbor to the south who rescinded their "reciprocity" nonsense once Argentina saw how it was affecting their necessary infusion of tourist cash. Much like their docking hissy fit in Ushaiaia over the "Malvinas" flap.

Don't mean to sound like an Ugly American here (which I know I do), but the US has too long been an immigration magnet country. We unfortunately need restrictions. Brazil I doubt is on anyone's Top 10 Immigration Abuse Hit Parade.

Matter of perspective I imagine. When out from port on a Panama Canal cruise, we went through roadblocks put up by the Mexican military. Apparently they have a big immigration problem along the border with Guatemala. After seeing the poverty in Guatemala, Mexico probably looked pretty good to those crossing the border illegally.

Getting a visa to Brazil is a hassle...but no more than China or India were, and as someone else said, it's tit for tat. China and India were definitely worth the trouble and I'm thinking Brazil and the Amazon will be, too.

We got the yellow fever shots before a SA trip, upon recommendation of a travel clinic. We were over 60 but had no problems. Turned out it was not a legal requirement but a recommendation if going near Iguassu Falls. Travel clinic used CDC recommendations.

Period of validity: in accordance with the amendment to the IHR (2005) adopted by the World Health Assembly in resolution WHA67.13, from 11 July 2016 the period of validity for all certificates of vaccination against yellow fever changes from 10 years to the duration of the life of the person vaccinated, including for certificates already issued and new certificates.

Accordingly, as of 11 July 2016, valid certificates of vaccination presented by arriving travellers cannot be rejected on the grounds that more than ten years have passed since the date vaccination became effective as stated on the certificate; boosters or revaccination cannot be required.

Thanks for the information! Good find. BTW, I found this here in note 3 if others are interested.

This of course assumes you have the proper documentation from whenever you got the vaccination as mentioned in the second paragraph.

Pretty hot and humid down there on Île du Diable/Devil's Island, French Guiana. Interesting place though, with the old prison ruins

Really looking forward to seeing this; hope we don't get canceled from this stop like last year's cruise did (for an ESA launch.)

Holland America seems to have rigid outdated rules on yellow fever. They are certainly not the only cruise line going to the Amazon. My neighbor was on the last Princess trip three or four years ago, either the Ocean or Pacific Princess did that route. She did not take the yellow fever injection.

We were on Oceania almost three years ago for Brazil, the Amazon and Devils Island. Yellow fever was "recommended" but at no time was anyone hassled or asked about it. Some passengers had taken the shot, some had not. The airport people and cruise people were only interested in the Visa.

There were no issues upon US re-entry.

There are other cruise lines doing this itinerary. Look around.

Edited by sammiedawg

Holland America seems to have rigid outdated rules on yellow fever. They are certainly not the only cruise line going to the Amazon. My neighbor was on the last Princess trip three or four years ago, either the Ocean or Pacific Princess did that route. She did not take the yellow fever injection.

We were on Oceania almost three years ago for Brazil, the Amazon and Devils Island. Yellow fever was "recommended" but at no time was anyone hassled or asked about it. Some passengers had taken the shot, some had not. The airport people and cruise people were only interested in the Visa.

There were no issues upon US re-entry.

There are other cruise lines doing this itinerary. Look around.

We went to South America a few years ago, too. No need for yellow fever and not recommended by the traveling advice when we went to check on shots.

BUT, those are a few years ago and things change constantly. So information that is a few years old may no longer be accurate.

CDC requirements can change. And often for a reason.