Managing Buffet Alone with two preschoolers

MoniMommy

I'm looking forward to sailing on the Carnival Sunshine in October. I will be traveling without my husband but with my children who are 2 and 4. I plan to have them spend time at camp carnival and time together. I want to eat ALL meals together. My children are well behaved and are used to eating at restaurants.

Any suggestions on how to manage the buffet? We will eat in the MDR for breakfast or brunch each day and for dinner each evening. However, for lunch there are only multiple buffet options. Getting plates of food and drink with two young ones (2 and 4) can be a bit challenging. They are too young to leave them at the table while I get the food. I am fearful that they will wonder onto the pool deck or somewhere else. I have to take them with me while I get the food and keep an eye on them at all times. While I have never heard of a kidnapping on a cruise ship I have to take the same precautions in safeguarding them that I would take on land.

I know we can get room service in the cabin, but I would prefer to avoid this, because the menu is very limited.

Any suggestions about lunch will be much appreciated. I an mot a first time cruiser but this is my first cruise since having children.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

I'm looking forward to sailing on the Carnival Sunshine in October. I will be traveling without my husband but with my children who are 2 and 4. I plan to have them spend time at camp carnival and time together. I want to eat ALL meals together. My children are well behaved and are used to eating at restaurants.

Any suggestions on how to manage the buffet? We will eat in the MDR for breakfast or brunch each day and for dinner each evening. However, for lunch there are only multiple buffet options. Getting plates of food and drink with two young ones (2 and 4) can be a bit challenging. They are too young to leave them at the table while I get the food. I am fearful that they will wonder onto the pool deck or somewhere else. I have to take them with me while I get the food and keep an eye on them at all times. While I have never heard of a kidnapping on a cruise ship I have to take the same precautions in safeguarding them that I would take on land.

I know we can get room service in the cabin, but I would prefer to avoid this, because the menu is very limited.

Any suggestions about lunch will be much appreciated. I an mot a first time cruiser but this is my first cruise since having children.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

This is what I would do. I would have them go with me and make a game of them having to hold your shirt or shorts. I would do drinks first and sit them on the table. I would then go through the line with your plate in one hand and 2 plates stacked (they are huge) in the other putting both of there food on one plate to separate once seated. Another option is the Italian restaurant which is order and sit down. Or get a whole pizza to split with them. Then you won't have your hands full waiting in line with them.

For me, there was no way to handle two little ones and a tray in the buffet. When the buffet was the only option, I used to leave both of mine in the stroller near the entrance, grab a couple rolls or breadsticks to keep them busy in the stroller, then hurry through gathering food.

I do like the previous poster's idea about getting drinks to the table (which eliminates the juggling of drinks and holds your table) and then getting food together. Bring your own take n' toss cups with lids so you don't have to constantly worry about spills. I have found that staff and others will be very helpful when they see I'm on my own with two.

Since yours are used to restaurants, you might look for a booth in view of the buffet where the two year old could be blocked in by the 4 year old in case you need to briefly get up for an item or two during the meal.

I feel for you - buffets are one the most challenging parts of cruising alone with kids. We avoid them at all costs, but I get it, there's sometimes no alternative.

All the best,

Mia

We have received amazing help with our kiddos from the staff. As you enter, there is someone standing at a podium thing near the entrance. I'm not sure what the official title is, maybe host/hostess?

On the cruises I've done solo with my 4 kids, that's the person who's arranged help, or helped us herself. They've gone to get drinks for us, brought over extra plates and silverware, ran to get chicken strips and fries and a time or two kept an entertaining eye on the kids while I stood in line (never out of my line of sight, and not farther than 10 feet away). Mostly they helped to keep the kids entertained enough that the twins (2 years old then) didn't run into people traffic trying to reach me.

The staff was amazing with the kids. Sometimes, having an extra plate carrying set of hands was just the help we needed.

There was no way I was going to hide away with the kids and stay out of the buffet area, but I was worried that I'd spend the week eating fries and chicken strips with the kids. With a little bit of help, we managed to eat all of our meals as a family. And, momma was able to eat grown up food!

Look for tables nearest to the food stations you might enjoy most.

You'll have a great time!

Jennifer

Ideally, I'd ask the hostess for help. If that doesn't work out, could you get the kids food and put it on the table while they are at camp carnival and then get the kids out of camp? My kids don't need really hot food so that might make it easier. You might have to start with a salad and eat later or if you get yourself food while leaving them at the table at least your kids will have their meal to distract them and you are getting less food than if you needed to get everyone's meal.

I sailed carnival a long time ago, but back then they would make a custom pizza if you requested it - I liked goat cheese and sausage- and that took 10 minutes. You could order it, get the kids and pick it up when you get back if they still do this.

Carry singles with you and if you tip people for helping you, they will look for you later in the cruise and keep helping you. You don't need to tip them, but Sometimes it makes things easier in the future.

I'm not familiar with your ship, but on some of the others I've sailed there have been a few really small food venues around the ship. The kids can sit together really close to the buffett and it might be more manageable than a large buffett. Maybe post on the carnival forum to find the smallest/least crowded buffets on your ship. There will be fewer food options but sometimes it is important to just survive when you travel with small kids.

How old are your kids?

I like the previous poster's suggestion about making them hold hands and one holds onto your shirt. this keeps you all together. Don't worry about drinks, there are servers walking around to help with that.

Great suggestion about two plates on a tray, and then splitting the food when back the table.

I also like the suggestion about grabbing a seat near the serving area, where you can keep an eye on them.

You know your kids best, but would asking them to sit nicely at the table while you get the food be something that works for them? My kids were pretty responsible at a young age, and neither ever would have run off. For my kids this would have worked (if I needed to bribe them to stay put).

• "Daddy's not here, so I need you two be well behaved so I can tell Daddy how helpful you were by staying seated at the table while Mommy got the food"
  • "If you are good and stay put while Mommy get's the food, we can have ice cream for dessert. If Mommy has to keep checking on you and you are moving around, there is no dessert".

Are they twins or just close in age? Would it help to put the older one in charge? If one is young enough to be in a stroller, then keep one in a stroller and let the older one push along side you while you work the buffet line.

If one is young enough to be in a stroller, then keep one in a stroller and let the older one push along side you while you work the buffet line.

Father of 3, currently 1, 3, and 5. This issue of maintaining control of both kids while you get stuff done/have hands full will happen over and over. The two best options IMO are having a kid carrier for the 2yo (so they can be worn hands-free) and a stroller (so one can be buckled in and guaranteed to stay put for a time...though maybe unwillingly).

The stroller could be a cheap $20 umbrella stroller from Walmart/Target, or a more expensive (and much heavier) double stroller. We bought a used Joovy sit stand for our last cruise, and while a bit difficult to steer with 2 kids in it, it was priceless for times when we needed to have both boys stay put.

Father of 3, currently 1, 3, and 5. This issue of maintaining control of both kids while you get stuff done/have hands full will happen over and over. The two best options IMO are having a kid carrier for the 2yo (so they can be worn hands-free) and a stroller (so one can be buckled in and guaranteed to stay put for a time...though maybe unwillingly).

The stroller could be a cheap $20 umbrella stroller from Walmart/Target, or a more expensive (and much heavier) double stroller. We bought a used Joovy sit stand for our last cruise, and while a bit difficult to steer with 2 kids in it, it was priceless for times when we needed to have both boys stay put.

My 2 year old will be 3 in October so she is way to big for a carrier. I am thinking abut a stroller on board. Thanks for your advice.

How old are your kids?

I like the previous poster's suggestion about making them hold hands and one holds onto your shirt. this keeps you all together. Don't worry about drinks, there are servers walking around to help with that.

Great suggestion about two plates on a tray, and then splitting the food when back the table.

I also like the suggestion about grabbing a seat near the serving area, where you can keep an eye on them.

You know your kids best, but would asking them to sit nicely at the table while you get the food be something that works for them? My kids were pretty responsible at a young age, and neither ever would have run off. For my kids this would have worked (if I needed to bribe them to stay put).

• "Daddy's not here, so I need you two be well behaved so I can tell Daddy how helpful you were by staying seated at the table while Mommy got the food"
  • "If you are good and stay put while Mommy get's the food, we can have ice cream for dessert. If Mommy has to keep checking on you and you are moving around, there is no dessert".

Are they twins or just close in age? Would it help to put the older one in charge? If one is young enough to be in a stroller, then keep one in a stroller and let the older one push along side you while you work the buffet line.

Thanks! They are generally well behaved 2 and 4 year olds that would likely stay put. However, I want to have them in sight all time since I am on a boat with thousands of strangers. I think I will do a combination of asking for help and seating them where I can get food and keep my eye on them. Someone also mentioned the italian restaurant where you order and they bring it to you. So I will definitely go there at least once.

My 2 year old will be 3 in October so she is way to big for a carrier. I am thinking abut a stroller on board. Thanks for your advice.

Cruising alone with my kids, I couldn't have made it without a tandem stroller. Distances and waits can be long on a ship, so having a place where they could sit, nap, have a snack/drink, etc. was necessary. It's also a place to put all the necessary stuff that goes along with little ones. Sometimes when I picked them up from the kids club, they would be exhausted or asleep and there was no way I could carry one or both back to the room. A stroller also makes it possible to take a walk with one when the other is misbehaving or too tired.

Have a great cruise.

Best,

Mia

Someone also mentioned the italian restaurant where you order and they bring it to you.

Post this question on the Carnival board and hopefully someone will be able to tell you which dining venues will be easiest to navigate alone with small children.

We needed a stroller for our son when he was 2 and 3. I took him through the buffet in a stroller and could sort of manage one plate on top of it while i pushed him. Not the easiest, but it was fast and we got dinner in him before the kids club.

I have twin 3 year olds that I take to many places alone. When at a buffet-style place, I've always been amazed at how many people offered to help. I never refuse if it's safe!

If there is no help, I put all of our food on one plate with two underneath it. Once we are seated, I divide everything. I have also taught my kids to hold on to my pants. They are great at grabbing a good "pinch" of fabric, but I have to sometimes caution them about pulling them down!

The pizza place has outdoor tables, so that would be a great place to eat pizza and have a salad while being able to manage two children.

Good luck!

So if you are using the MDR whenever they are open (and I highly agree with this) the only time Lunch aka Brunch will not be available is on a shore day. So, either eat while you are ashore, or if you are staying on the ship, you will find that the crowds are MUCH reduced.

In that scenario, it will be no issue worrying about crowds or tables. I would grab drinks/silverware together and sit the 4 yo at a table within sight of whatever your choice buffet/pizza/burger/sub line is. I assume the 4 yo is well behaved based upon what you said, and I know both of mine would have sat still in mommy's sight. Take or leave the 2 yo at the table depending upon the child...if the table is 3 feet from the pizza line, you are right there.

I understand a parent's concern, but as someone who has worked in law enforcement for 20 years, I can tell you that a cruise ship is a much less likely venue for kidnapping, sexual assault (with small children) etc than the real world as it just doesn't fit the profile. First, such a criminal will not go un-noticed as there is no where to escape to with the child - unlike a snatch and grab from your local store; they don't have their sign and sail card so they can't get them off the ship. Second, with sexual assault cases, most young child victims know their assailant - it's their father, uncle or family friend. So yes, be cautious as any good parent should be but try to keep this perspective in mind.

When I took my kids to the buffet by myself we were in port, so it was easier to get seats. But I did the opposite of what some have suggested in that I took my kids through the buffet and got our food and then picked a table near a beverage dispenser. I don't know about Carnival but buffets in general are spread out and hard to have visibility from all the choices whereas the beverages tend to be pretty much the same. It was a lot easier to know that I could keep them in sight for a quick trip for drinks than the longer process of trying to get food.

I also had my kids carry bowls of fruit or other things they were excited about (although they were both 4 so you will have to decide if your two yr old can handle that responsibility). Giving them the responsibility of carrying their own food helped my kids remember to walk carefully which helped keep them with me.

I always do the stacked plates thing at buffets even when I have another adult to help. Assuming there are trays, strategically placed bowls help fit enough food for 3 people even when another plate won't fit.

And the staff always offered to help carry stuff even when my husband was there to help.

Brunch is from 7:30-1 in the MDR. Can have both breakfast and lunch in the MDR during this time. The menu is two sided, pancakes to pork chops.

The MDR is closed at embarkation and for lunch on port days. Some ships have alternative sit down places for lunch- Italian and Asian. Do not know what Sunshine has.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Lots of great replies... Let me add a few thoughts.

Hit the buffets earlier in the day means they are less busy, so you won't have to navigate as many people at 11:30 as you might at 12:15.

Pack some special "meal time only" toys. We took along a colouring book and markers that our DD only got when we were eating. Definitely kept her busy. This will mean if you do need to leave them in a seat while you run and grab a few things they will be focused on staying.

Take your kiddos along on a pre walk to see the food choices. That way you know which areas you can skip and where you want to focus.

I know you want to skip room service, but consider using that service JUST for Sea Days(when the buffets will be really crowded) or play it by ear and use it for a day when your patience is a bit strained (it happens to everyone so no worries).

I love the idea of getting lunch all set and then picking them up from camp. Maybe you could get all of your lunches, bring it to your room, then go get the kiddos and eat in your room.

Some combination of these will work for you. Try something out, if it works great, if it's a nightmare try another idea the next day. Have a great time!!