drink prices

nunuc2000

It is from Smitty74's Bermuda sailing.

Well, many thanks to you and Smitty74 for the info! I have looked at many menus and studied every bar photo looking for Grand Marnier, but up until this one, no love at all.

We asked our Grand Marnier-loving friends to join us on our upcoming cruise, and I was practically breaking out in a cold sweat trying to decide when I should break the bad news. ;) And now I don't have to--yay!, thanks!

It is truly sad that NCL is charging so much for some of their "super premium" brands. Belvedre and Ciroc cost less than Goose does. Even when they buy it in bulk. Now charging $17.95 for a Dark and Stormy is almost criminal. The Dark and Stormy is a national drink of Bermuda. So those on a Bermuda cruise might want to try it. Gosling's rum, lime and ginger beer costing $17.95 is one of the biggest thefts by NCL, and there are many to date. Yes, I know you do not have to order it if you do not want to, but "when in Rome" or Bermuda as the case may be it is nice to have a couple.

I wonder how much of these price increases are driven by passenger behavior. Like the dude who'll order the most expensive thing on the menu, based on what--principle? --I dunno why, and drink a lot of it.

Maybe NCL is assuming it's brand loyalty or an intense love of Glenfiddich or something that drives it, and I am sure it is in some cases, and in others it's "value" driven.

Just a hunch -- no proof.

In addition to what hawkeyetlse said I have to assume the all the ultra premium are now out of UBP range. Previously several were covered despite the ambiguity in the terms & conditions.
Previously "super premium" was only $10.95/shot, so it was still possible for some "ultra premium" brands to be under $15. No chance of that now. Last week Rémy Martin XO was listed at $29.95/glass at Le Bistro! I had it last December on the Epic for $16.95 (which is now the price they want for the VSOP, previously $9.95).
I have looked at many menus and studied every bar photo looking for Grand Marnier, but up until this one, no love at all.
They have removed liqueurs and cordials from the "Topmast" menu page, but they are still available. On our cruise, the same 8 that you see in Smitty74's photo were listed on the dessert menu at Le Bistro, also for $9.50. Edited by hawkeyetlse

Previously "super premium" was only $10.95/shot, so it was still possible for some "ultra premium" brands to be under $15. No chance of that now. But to be honest I didn't even bother asking.

They have removed liqueurs and cordials from the "Topmast" menu page, but they are still available. On our cruise, the same 8 that you see in Smitty74's photo were listed on the dessert menu at Le Bistro, also for $9.50.

And with that, I am able to wipe the last few beads of cold sweat from my forehead. Thank you, Hawkeyetlse!

Previously "super premium" was only $10.95/shot, so it was still possible for some "ultra premium" brands to be under $15. No chance of that now. Last week Rémy Martin XO was listed at $29.95/glass at Le Bistro! I had it last December on the Epic for $16.95 (which is now the price they want for the VSOP, previously $9.95).

They have removed liqueurs and cordials from the "Topmast" menu page, but they are still available. On our cruise, the same 8 that you see in Smitty74's photo were listed on the dessert menu at Le Bistro, also for $9.50.

Do you happen to know if the drinks considered "super premium" which were $10.95 and now are $16.95, will they allow those with the UBP to pay the difference to drink them or do they now require full payment of $16.95?

Someone in a different thread said he was charged the full price, so I was looking for confirmation of that, or hopefully someone to tell me thats not the case lol.

I wonder how much of these price increases are driven by passenger behavior. Like the dude who'll order the most expensive thing on the menu, based on what--principle? --I dunno why, and drink a lot of it.

Maybe NCL is assuming it's brand loyalty or an intense love of Glenfiddich or something that drives it, and I am sure it is in some cases, and in others it's "value" driven.

Pretty sure the price increases are not because of passengers behavior. More like gimme more money by the CEO. Those that are willing to pay the raised prices will and those that won't will stick to what is included in the "free" beverage plan.

Seems like they've streamlined the menu a bit. Listing brands without flavors. I can only hope this means they've come to their senses and realized its absurd to charge $16.95 for goose flavors when regular is $9.50.

Regardless, there really is still plenty to drink for under $15. I guess at this point theres not much more I can do besides get on board and see for myself.

Last week on the Escape, the Goose flavors were 16.95, while regular Goose was still covered. And all 4 bottles were the same price in the gift shop. Makes no sense at all.

I totally agree. I think some would order the most expensive just because they can and that throws off NCL's break even point. They could raise all drinks and still allow them in the UBP, but that wouldn't solve the issue of bringing the break even point back into line. Edited by NLH Arizona

Pretty sure the price increases are not because of passengers behavior. More like gimme more money by the CEO. Those that are willing to pay the raised prices will and those that won't will stick to what is included in the "free" beverage plan.

For sure, profit is the reason, but I am wondering how much passenger behavior affects the bottom line. For example, I've seen people order five (no joke) lobster tails, with many more ordering two or three at dinner on past cruises (even those rubbery, lukewarm, bitter lil ones they serve in the CCL MDRs). It makes me wonder if everyone just ordered one lobster tail at dinner, would they be on the menus more often.

I think many people, on a cruise, engage in a little gluttony -- and then I think there are others who really go to town, specifically with drinks. Really, I'm just thinking aloud about what percentage of people do that, and if it's even significant enough to really affect the corporate bottom line. Maybe, maybe not.

Last week on the Escape, the Goose flavors were 16.95, while regular Goose was still covered. And all 4 bottles were the same price in the gift shop. Makes no sense at all.

I suppose one possibility is that it's cheaper to stock large quantities of 1 particular bottle and limited quantities of others. But this might be splitting hairs.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in any meeting where these UBP changes are decided. I wonder how much of it is over-engineering vs. trying to address an actual corporate need.

Thanks for the info and especially for posting the menus, fastman86. Sad to see the rumours are true and the price gouging continues. When we booked our upcoming cruise and opted for the UBP, the prices of the drinks we like (G&T with Prairie, and chocolate martinis) were still reasonably priced and included in the UBP.

The amount they're now charging is just ridiculous, and a clear example of outrageous price markups orchestrated simply to extort more money out of their passengers.

Disappointing, but I guess it's just one more bullet point on my list of why our upcoming NCL cruise will be our last.

I recently sent an email to NCL laying out my concerns, issues we've had, and disappointments that we've experienced with NCL since our cruise in October of last year on the Pearl. I did not receive a response after the 3 business day response time they show on their website, and still didn't after two weeks. So I emailed them again, this time including Vivian Ewart and Andrew Stuart... and still no response after 8 days. So then I emailed Mr Del Rio and cc'd the rest of the executive team, expressing my continued frustration and their obvious lack of concern for good customer service.

That finally got a response - "Catherine" from the executive office phoned me and left me a message to call her back, which I did (in case anyone is interested in phoning the executive office, the toll-free number is 1-800-456-7298).

I wish I could say that phone call was productive and that I felt my concerns had been heard and satisfactorily addressed, but quite the opposite is true. While pleasant enough, Catherine merely paid me lip-service in stating that the executive team stands by ALL of their recent policy changes, and that there's not a thing that NCL can do for clients such as myself. She thanked me for my feedback, stated that Mr Del Rio and his executive team listen to and read all emails and phone calls from guests (I call total BS on that one!) and signed off with "thank you again for sailing with Norwegian Cruise Lines". I felt like I was speaking with a robot or a Stepford wife!

So here we are, having booked and paid for our upcoming cruise in full at time of booking as it was just inside of the final payment period. And AFTER booking and paying, NCL changed their policies and prices on a several items.

We would have cancelled if we were able to receive a full refund, as HAL is providing almost an identical itinerary as NCL, but at a significantly lower price point. However, we don't have that option, and NCL is choosing to implement policy changes in very short time frames after making the changes, leaving those beyond final payment being held captive financially. Dirty pool move, but lesson learned.

We USED to be among those who felt that NCL provided good value for our cruising dollars. Sure, they're making more money for now with the savings they're realizing with these budget cuts, but they can only cut so much off before they begin to collapse. And yes, they did pioneer the idea of "freestyle cruising", but newsflash - most of the other mainstream cruise lines are now providing a freestyle cruising experience to their clients, and sadly for NCL, we feel they're doing a better job of it in many cases. Just because NCL was the first doesn't mean they get to ride on that glory indefinitely - they also have to be diligent about being the best... and they are not the best at that any longer.

In spite of the pall leftover from dealing with NCL lately, we will try and have a good time on our cruise next month, but we're acutely aware that we are not truly valued or appreciated by NCL. I sincerely feel bad for the cruise staff, knowing they're merely pawns in the game NCL is playing. But lucky for them, we value their hard work and appreciate their efforts and will not allow them to experience the disappointment NCL has left us feeling.

I understand that there are many cruisers who will still choose to be loyal to NCL, and that is their right. We just choose to move onto other lines that we've found to be better suited to us, and who genuinely do listen and appreciate the feedback. No line is perfect, they all have their flaws, but after cruising extensively on several different lines, we know we don't have to settle for one that we feel isn't treating their cruisers very well.

I wish I could say that phone call was productive and that I felt my concerns had been heard and satisfactorily addressed, but quite the opposite is true. While pleasant enough, Catherine merely paid me lip-service in stating that the executive team stands by ALL of their recent policy changes, and that there's not a thing that NCL can do for clients such as myself. She thanked me for my feedback, stated that Mr Del Rio and his executive team listen to and read all emails and phone calls from guests (I call total BS on that one!) and signed off with "thank you again for sailing with Norwegian Cruise Lines". I felt like I was speaking with a robot or a Stepford wife!

How would you have liked them to satisfactorily address your concerns? You said she said that there's not a thing that NCL can do for clients such as yourself, what did you ask them for?

So they're sticking with that, and of course it makes no sense.

Do you happen to know if they would cost the $1.95 upcharge with UBP or the full $16.95?

As funny as spit take ken jeong is, he doesn't answer the question. lol

Thanks for the info and especially for posting the menus, fastman86. Sad to see the rumours are true and the price gouging continues. When we booked our upcoming cruise and opted for the UBP, the prices of the drinks we like (G&T with Prairie, and chocolate martinis) were still reasonably priced and included in the UBP.

The amount they're now charging is just ridiculous, and a clear example of outrageous price markups orchestrated simply to extort more money out of their passengers.

Disappointing, but I guess it's just one more bullet point on my list of why our upcoming NCL cruise will be our last.

I recently sent an email to NCL laying out my concerns, issues we've had, and disappointments that we've experienced with NCL since our cruise in October of last year on the Pearl. I did not receive a response after the 3 business day response time they show on their website, and still didn't after two weeks. So I emailed them again, this time including Vivian Ewart and Andrew Stuart... and still no response after 8 days. So then I emailed Mr Del Rio and cc'd the rest of the executive team, expressing my continued frustration and their obvious lack of concern for good customer service.

That finally got a response - "Catherine" from the executive office phoned me and left me a message to call her back, which I did (in case anyone is interested in phoning the executive office, the toll-free number is 1-800-456-7298).

So here we are, having booked and paid for our upcoming cruise in full at time of booking as it was just inside of the final payment period. And AFTER booking and paying, NCL changed their policies and prices on a several items.

We would have cancelled if we were able to receive a full refund, as HAL is providing almost an identical itinerary as NCL, but at a significantly lower price point. However, we don't have that option, and NCL is choosing to implement policy changes in very short time frames after making the changes, leaving those beyond final payment being held captive financially. Dirty pool move, but lesson learned.

We USED to be among those who felt that NCL provided good value for our cruising dollars. Sure, they're making more money for now with the savings they're realizing with these budget cuts, but they can only cut so much off before they begin to collapse. And yes, they did pioneer the idea of "freestyle cruising", but newsflash - most of the other mainstream cruise lines are now providing a freestyle cruising experience to their clients, and sadly for NCL, we feel they're doing a better job of it in many cases. Just because NCL was the first doesn't mean they get to ride on that glory indefinitely - they also have to be diligent about being the best... and they are not the best at that any longer.

In spite of the pall leftover from dealing with NCL lately, we will try and have a good time on our cruise next month, but we're acutely aware that we are not truly valued or appreciated by NCL. I sincerely feel bad for the cruise staff, knowing they're merely pawns in the game NCL is playing. But lucky for them, we value their hard work and appreciate their efforts and will not allow them to experience the disappointment NCL has left us feeling.

I understand that there are many cruisers who will still choose to be loyal to NCL, and that is their right. We just choose to move onto other lines that we've found to be better suited to us, and who genuinely do listen and appreciate the feedback. No line is perfect, they all have their flaws, but after cruising extensively on several different lines, we know we don't have to settle for one that we feel isn't treating their cruisers very well.

Maybe the Executive team is so well compensated in their jobs, and so out of touch with their actual clientele, that they can't even get their heads around the idea that a couple of bucks, even $16.95 for a drink might be an issue to them. If you're making $1,000,000 plus per year, what's the problem if a $16.95 drink is not covered?

Maybe it's not even greed -- maybe it's just a question of not getting it. The dreaded "value cruiser" is a likely a value cruiser for a reason, because they have to be -- and they might not be if they were making seven figures a year as well.

Maybe the Executive team is so well compensated in their jobs, and so out of touch with their actual clientele, that they can't even get their heads around the idea that a couple of bucks, even $16.95 for a drink might be an issue to them. If you're making $1,000,000 plus per year, what's the problem if a $16.95 drink is not covered?

Maybe it's not even greed -- maybe it's just a question of not getting it. The dreaded "value cruiser" is a likely a value cruiser for a reason, because they have to be -- and they might not be if they were making seven figures a year as well.

The raise from $10.95 to $16.95 is more than a 50% increase. Combined with the fact that they kept the bottle price the same, it reads like a petty money grab. We gave you the "free" UBP, which you still pay the 18% gratuity on, but now it's not as valuable as it once was because we priced out these drinks to force you into one of two scenarios...

If the drinks are still available under UBP, they are available with an up-charge or co-pay of $1.95 plus 18% gratuity.

If they are no longer available unless purchased ala carte at $16.95 plus 18% gratuity, then they think people are stupid enough to pay that much for a drink or they don't plan on selling those liquors anymore.

How would you have liked them to satisfactorily address your concerns? You said she said that there's not a thing that NCL can do for clients such as yourself, what did you ask them for?

I didn't "ask" for anything. What I received was the mono-toned drone of an exasperated sounding NCL staff member that gave the distinct impression that she was reading from a form-letter styled script in response to "yet another displeased guest". Rather than phone me merely to say they had rec'd my emails, and then quickly dismiss me off the phone, a more personal reply directly responding to the comments I had made in my emails would have been better received, and certainly would have shown more effort on their part. Their approach of "Our executive team thanks you for your feedback and regrets that we are not able to alter any of our policies or discuss any issues further, but thanks for choosing Norwegian, buh-bye" just doesn't quite cut it for me. Catherine honestly sounded like she was an overwhelmed administrator given a list of guests to call and get off the phone as quickly as possible, simply to advise the clients that yes, their emails were rec'd in the executive office and didn't go directly to a junk folder, and that's it.

My concerns are in part ongoing issues that arose during our cruise in October of last year, along with new ones that have developed since booking our cruise for next month - I won't go into detail about those, suffice to say it wasn't handled well by NCL.

For me it is really has little to do with the money end of it. I am on vacation and will spend money on drinks no matter what. The bad part is how NCL thinks that we are fools and can charge us more for "super premium" booze that costs less than their "premium" brands. Charging $7 more per drink for a brand that costs the same or less is an insult.

I didn't "ask" for anything. What I received was the mono-toned drone of an exasperated sounding NCL staff member that gave the distinct impression that she was reading from a form-letter styled script in response to "yet another displeased guest". Rather than phone me merely to say they had rec'd my emails, and then quickly dismiss me off the phone, a more personal reply directly responding to the comments I had made in my emails would have been better received, and certainly would have shown more effort on their part. Their approach of "Our executive team thanks you for your feedback and regrets that we are not able to alter any of our policies or discuss any issues further, but thanks for choosing Norwegian, buh-bye" just doesn't quite cut it for me. Catherine honestly sounded like she was an overwhelmed administrator given a list of guests to call and get off the phone as quickly as possible, simply to advise the clients that yes, their emails were rec'd in the executive office and didn't go directly to a junk folder, and that's it.

My concerns are in part ongoing issues that arose during our cruise in October of last year, along with new ones that have developed since booking our cruise for next month - I won't go into detail about those, suffice to say it wasn't handled well by NCL.

Sorry they didn't address your issues, as it seems they were just addressing policy changes and not the issues you had on your cruise last year, which is totally wrong. They should have addressed your concerns that you had on your cruise, even if they couldn't fix them, and then said that they were sorry you were not happy with the policy changes and they would pass along your concerns with them.

Sorry they didn't address your issues, as it seems they were just addressing policy changes and not the issues you had on your cruise last year, which is totally wrong. They should have addressed your concerns that you had on your cruise, even if they couldn't fix them, and then said that they were sorry you were not happy with the policy changes and they would pass along your concerns with them.

Exactly - but they've failed miserably in this area. I'm just not at all happy with the way things have happened with NCL of late, and as a result, we're moving on. We aren't loyal to any one brand, having enjoyed many wonderful cruises on several different lines, NCL included, at least until our last one.

There are many disgruntled cruisers voicing their displeasure about different lines all the time - that's just a fact of cruising forums like this one. Generally speaking, I'm very positive and easy to please when it comes to cruising... and I typically avoid the more negative posts that are fraught with controversy and mean spirited comments. I'm just grateful we get to cruise and enjoy this kind of lifestyle very much! But it seems to me that NCL cruisers are getting considerably more irritated in the last several months, and they're getting more vocal about it too. Or maybe it's just my own perception. But NCL would be wise to pay more attention to these boards and to the clients that try and communicate with them directly.