drink prices

nunuc2000

It is truly sad that NCL is charging so much for some of their "super premium" brands. Belvedre and Ciroc cost less than Goose does. Even when they buy it in bulk. Now charging $17.95 for a Dark and Stormy is almost criminal. The Dark and Stormy is a national drink of Bermuda. So those on a Bermuda cruise might want to try it. Gosling's rum, lime and ginger beer costing $17.95 is one of the biggest thefts by NCL, and there are many to date. Yes, I know you do not have to order it if you do not want to, but "when in Rome" or Bermuda as the case may be it is nice to have a couple.

The price for the Dark and Stormy is probably the most ludicrous thing I have seen thus far. I don't even drink them, but how ridiculous!!!

“…stating that the executive team stands by ALL of their recent policy changes, and that there's not a thing that NCL can do for clients such as myself.”

NCL executives may think they are doing a good job but it seems their customers do not feel the same way. Could it be that all of these non-customer friendly changes are starting to affect NCL’s bottom line?

From the 2nd Quarter earning calls: (cruiseindustrynews.com)

“Second quarter earnings calls from Carnival Corporation, Royal Caribbean Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings painted a differing picture of Caribbean capacity concerns.”

…said del Rio. “Our ships our outperforming year-over-year. It’s a recognition that the high expectations just aren’t being met and we believe that is almost exclusively due to the heavy concentration of inventory in the weak period (summer). That is why we announced the Norwegian Getaway is moving out of Miami to the Baltic.”

At Royal Caribbean Cruises, Jason T. Liberty, chief financial officer, said that the Caribbean was performing on his company’s earnings call.

“We are generally seeing solid trends for our entire Caribbean portfolio which ranges from three-night Bahamas sailings to 14-night- Southern Caribbean itineraries.”

Carnival Corporation’s President and CEO Arnold Donald also pointed to a stable region on Carnival’s Q2 call.

“Bookings in the Caribbean and Alaska for the remainder of the year are very strong for our brands, enabling us to raise our revenue yield expectations and affirming our conviction to deliver over 20 percent earnings growth this year,” said Donald on the June 28 call.

Just speculation on my part but could it be that NCL is starting to feel the backlash of customers not being happy with recent changes and choosing to cruise with other lines?

So they're sticking with that, and of course it makes no sense.

Do you happen to know if they would cost the $1.95 upcharge with UBP or the full $16.95?

As funny as spit take ken jeong is, he doesn't answer the question. lol

You only pay anything over $15:00.

AND - beforeI get corrected - I believe maybe the gratuity of 18 percent on the 1.95 (35 cents extra tip).

Edited by Annmeat

You only pay anything over $15:00.

AND - beforeI get corrected - I believe maybe the gratuity of 18 percent on the 1.95 (35 cents extra tip).

Thats what I am thinking and hoping. I know the super premium drinks were always included as they were under $15. Even though the T&C mentions designated super premium beverages are not included.

So I was certainly hoping that if I decide to splurge here and there it would be for $2.30 a drink...because $17 bucks doesn't happen on land at a bar for this guy, it certainly isn't happening at sea with a drink package!

Thanks for the response.

The free at sea ubp doesn't include the 18% gratuity?

The gratuity is charged to passengers who book under US T&Cs. If you booked under UK T&Cs, you will not be charged the gratuity. I believe passengers booking under the EU T&Cs are also not charged the gratuity.

Edited by jm485

The gratuity is charged to passengers who book under US T&Cs. If you booked under UK T&Cs, you will not be charged the gratuity. I believe passengers booking under the EU T&Cs are also not charged the gratuity.

Haven passengers also do not get charged the 18% on the UBP if included as a "perk".

In this case, I dont think anyone is suggesting you actually join in the fight. Its just a cruiseline and its just a vacation. In the grand scheme of things, were all very lucky to have the ability to enjoy a luxury like a vacation.

I think what they are trying to say, or the way I interpret it is that when someone comes to this forum and complains or has something negative to say, other people will sort of poo poo it or minimalize it because its not something they deem worthy or important enough.

The soda/water carry on rule didnt mean a thing to me, but I sympathized with those effected because it obviously meant a lot to them.

I definitely got more upset when something personally effected me, and that was seeing the super premium pricing increased over the $15 UBP limit.

I dont expect anyone to fight for me or latch on to my cause, but I also wouldnt appreciate someone telling me I dont have the right to be upset or aggravated simply because they dont care.

I have not minimized their issue with regard to price increase of some alcohol (I've voiced my opinion as to why I think the prices were raised), as I really don't care one way or the other, so yes it is not my problem. If I disagree with someone's opinion, I'll voice my opinion, it no way is an attack on them or minimizes their opinion, it is just that people disagree, just as when someone disagrees with me, I don't consider it an attack or minimizing of my opinion.

I understand some like Coke, it is my soda of choice as well, but as long as they have some sort of diet soda on the cruise ship, I'm fine with that, if others aren't that is okay. If others are upset that they can't bring their Coke on the ship, that is their issue, not mine.

I've never said one doesn't have the right to be upset or aggravated, but just as you don't want someone to say you don't have the right, I don't want someone to tell me that I don't have the right to not be upset or aggravated or be able to voice my opinion over an issue. We should all be able to voice our opinions.

I was sure it was included. ( we are UK) But some conflicting information on here confused me. Now it's clear why. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is truly sad that NCL is charging so much for some of their "super premium" brands. Belvedre and Ciroc cost less than Goose does. Even when they buy it in bulk. Now charging $17.95 for a Dark and Stormy is almost criminal. The Dark and Stormy is a national drink of Bermuda. So those on a Bermuda cruise might want to try it. Gosling's rum, lime and ginger beer costing $17.95 is one of the biggest thefts by NCL, and there are many to date. Yes, I know you do not have to order it if you do not want to, but "when in Rome" or Bermuda as the case may be it is nice to have a couple.

Why would you order the National Drink of Bermuda on the ship when you are docked in Bermuda? If you want to sample the real drink do it off the ship.

So, does this mean I can't get an expresso martini covered with my UBP? Don't they have them with less premium liqueur?

Boohoo if it does. I only drink wine (which equals fail on the UBP) and an espresso martini at the end of the night. I guess it will be the vino vino package for me. I've definitely made the right decision on my upcoming cruise. The UBP choice complimentary with cabin choice was going to cost $700 more. As I never drink $700 worth of alcohol I just booked a guarantee. Next price gouge however will probably be the Vino Vino package.[emoji25]

Edited by karoo

So, does this mean I can't get an expresso martini covered with my UBP? Don't they have them with less premium liqueur?

Do I have to pay the $18 to get an expresso martini or just the difference in price? Although it is my favorite drink after dinner there is no way I will pay $18 for it on land or a cruise. That is just ridiculous!

Edited by hladygirl

Do I have to pay the $18 to get an expresso martini or just the difference in price? Although it is my favorite drink after dinner there is no way I will pay $18 for it on land or a cruise. That is just ridiculous!

Just the difference but I imagine less expensive booze could be used

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

So... I have heard recent conflicting reports. It use to be you would simply pay the difference for any drink, but technically super premiums and espresso drinks (yes I know it is alcoholic) are excluded from the ubp. I have heard some posts saying they paid the difference some people said they were charged the whole amount. Is there anyone that has a definitive answer that has recently sailed? Also still no word if they will make a dark and stormy with myers dark. Technically it is no longer a dark and stormy since the recipe requires goslins, but I would assume the would make a myers and ginger beer.

ALL of those super premiums for NCL are included in Royal Caribbeans.... 20+ dollar cheaper per day, drink package.

Just for the sake of discussion, I recently bought the Premium Beverage package for my upcoming Oasis cruise. Decided on Premium instead of Ultimate package because the only difference in packages is included coffees and juices in Ultimate.

But I did a little research and you are right, it looks like all the super premiums for NCL are included in Royal's

Before booking the Oasis, I priced out the Escape in a balcony for the same week

Came to 2170 for 2 people with UBP and SDP,because I had to pay 150.00 extra per person to not the the IX category, and then pay the gratuities on the package.

Oasis came out to 1641 with no perks. My husband doesn't drink a lot, so I got the package just for myself, at 20% off onboard pricing, so with gratuities, came to 360.00. Which I didn't think was that bad for a beverage package.

It will be interesting to compare the drink selections on royal vs what was offered on the Escape. These "perks" are easily becoming just gimmicks and not worth all the hoops you have to go to to get them. :(

Does anyone know what the new Pinot Grigio on this list is like? I have never heard of it!

snow bunny

Is it still the Ruffino Pino Grigio? If it is you can buy it in many grocery stores in the US Eg CVS. Retails for around $10 US. If it is, it's the one I drink if I'm on the UBP. Not as good as a good Marlboro Sav Blanc, but still better than the house Sav Blanc.

Came to 2170 for 2 people with UBP and SDP,because I had to pay 150.00 extra per person to not the the IX category, and then pay the gratuities on the package.

Oasis came out to 1641 with no perks. My husband doesn't drink a lot, so I got the package just for myself, at 20% off onboard pricing, so with gratuities, came to 360.00.

Are the prices you're showing (2170 and 1641) total for two people in an inside room? With the Escape including SDP/UDP and the Oasis being a flat rate, requiring $360 extra for individual drink package (which seems reasonable to me)?

Just curious. What dates are you comparing?

Are the prices you're showing (2170 and 1641) total for two people in an inside room? With the Escape including SDP/UDP and the Oasis being a flat rate, requiring $360 extra for individual drink package (which seems reasonable to me)?

Just curious. What dates are you comparing?

thats for a Boardwalk/Central Park Balcony GTY (I haven't gotten assigned yet) and a balcony on the escape, same days. I also got 100.00 obc for Oasis, with 1 free specialty dinner for two for booking the Boardwalk Balcony. If both me and my husband got the alcohol package on Oasis, would have been 191.00 total MORE than the Escape. Ive just budgeted 100.00 for my husbands drinks (he maybe has one or two a day) and I liked Oasis itinerary better (St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee) over the Escape's Tortola, St. Thomas, Nassau. I've done the Allure before and loved it, so I know the experience of the Oasis Class ships. Plus, even the boardwalk balconies are bigger than the regular Escape ones. I did the Escape in Jan and while it was a good cruise, I'd only ever do it again within a certain price point, and DEFINITELY not for 2170. I looked at getting an IX inside for the Escape, and just adding the UBP on for 2 people, ended up being more than the 2170.

And I'm contemplating a Christmas cruise, and the Escape is more than Oasis and Allure over Christmas week! Which I just find CRAZY!

Thats not to say I wont sail NCL again because of this beverage fiasco, with not being able to book IX category to get the packages, but it certainly leads me to looking at other lines

Edited by aubreyc1988